The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

paneity
Well there are two routes into CompSci, one which is 50% NatSci (one part maths, one part experimental science of your choice) or 50% Maths (I think you apply to Maths with Computer Science and then transfer after your 1st year), which means doing most of the 1st year maths course, and isn't a very popular route.

Just to finalise this:

There are 2 or 3 (depending on how you want to view it) computer science options.

1. a) Computer Science with X where X is an option chosen from a list of possible subjects; Physics being the most common (according to the admissions tutor on the open day, in any case). The final choice of 'X' isn't actually made until the first week of term. Your first year comprises 50% computer science, 25% maths for natural scientists, 25% X.

1. b) Computer Science with Mathematics. This differs from (a) in that most (all?) colleges want you to specify on your UCAS application, and may ask for STEP (the admissions tutor for Emmanuel on the open day said they would, but that it wasn't completely standardized across the colleges; Trinity responded to an email from me to the effect that they recommend applicants for the Mathematics option took at least one STEP paper to prepare them but that successful applicants would usually receive the standard offer for computer science as described in the subject notes). Here, your first year comprises 50% computer science, and the other 50% is drawn from the Mathematics Tripos (and you sit a couple of the Maths Tripos papers at the end of the year).

2. Natural Sciences. I don't know so much about this, but it's described as being more for those wishing to specialize in, say, physical sciences but also have at least a little exposure to degree-level computer science. You basically take Natural Sciences and study the Computer Science option for whatever percentage that is.

For the first two, you apply for G400 Computer Science. The last one, you'll apply for Natural Sciences, through whatever code that is. The Computer Science with Mathematics option is specifically referred to as not being designed as a route into the second-year Mathematics Tripos; the Natural Sciences option gives you a route either into NatSci or CompSci.

I may be wrong, especially since I'm just a prospective applicant rather than an actual student, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, and there seemed to be some confusion so I hope this clears that up a little.
Reply 41
So far, I think im gonna give it a shot. If I didn't apply, It would niggle me. Also, the 5 I have are the 5 I really want to go to. I would have trouble filling in the slot camrbidge would open.
Fair enough.

A suggestion I'd make is to have a look at the Oxford entrance tests: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/specimen-tests

My guess is they are not dissimilar to the kind of thing you might get asked in an interview at Cambridge, and they will give you an idea of both the standard of maths expected and the kind of computing question you might be asked.
Reply 43
adamscybot
Its a real shame, as I in physics i as 8 UMS away, 12 in maths. Im resitting one physics module and 1 maths. Should this go on the reference or would it make things look worse?

You have to give them your module scores anyway, so no need to put it in the reference. If I was you I'd go for it, rather that than worry about what ifs for evermore. (Perhaps slightly melodramatic)
Tom
And indeed even worse grades than that, too.
However: CompSci at Cambridge is part of the NatSci course, and you really do need good maths. Not having Further Maths is a big problem already, but getting a B in standard Maths at AS will make it tough for them to consider you I'm afraid.

With a really good PS you might still get an interview, though, and from there on the interview performance could potentially give you a chance of an offer - especially if the Maths is being remarked or resat to bring it up to an A. But realistically if you were very keen on applying to Cambridge you might be best off applying post-A-level, with an A in both Further Maths and standard Maths to put you on a level playing field with other applicants.

What grades were those?
Reply 45
ABC. Also another with AAC
Reply 46
admascybot
I was hoping to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science but am now unsure. Here are my AS grades:

My brother got an interview for Medicine at Downing with AABB at AS; just make sure you get a three A prediction, and let them know on the SAQ that you're planning to resit some modules.

I also think different colleges have different policies on this; I read somewhere that Magdelene interview all applicants - someone correct me if I'm wrong - and they'll be others like that.
Reply 47
Galatea
My brother got an interview for Medicine at Downing with AABB at AS; just make sure you get a three A prediction, and let them know on the SAQ that you're planning to resit some modules.

I also think different colleges have different policies on this; I read somewhere that Magdelene interview all applicants - someone correct me if I'm wrong - and they'll be others like that.

Thats good to hear, seeing as I'm applying to Downing!
Reply 48
KwungSun
Really? I knew that there were possibilities for NatScis to do a CompSci course and vice-versa but I didn't think they were part of the same programme...

First year Computer Science is effectively taking one or two Computer Science courses from within the Natsci course system. We go into our hardcore stuff second year. This means you'll be taking Natsci maths and a bench subject (physics/chemistry/biology of cells, etc) in addition to Computer Science in first year.
Reply 49
SunderX
First year Computer Science is effectively taking one or two Computer Science courses from within the Natsci course system. We go into our hardcore stuff second year. This means you'll be taking Natsci maths and a bench subject (physics/chemistry/biology of cells, etc) in addition to Computer Science in first year.

Good to know, thanks.
Reply 50
The Fat Controller
EDIT: Oops, I hope there aren't rules about reviving 4 week old threads.

:hmmm:
Scipio90
:hmmm:

:fatcontroller:
Reply 52
I got in for History with an A in History, a B in Religious Studies and a B in Philsophy. Worth a go. Anyone who is of the standard to apply to Cambrige is BOUND to get an offer from at least a few other Universities on their list so I would say it's probably worth having a go.
Reply 53
In Guardian today....

Cambridge appears to have turned around the dearth of students wanting to study computer science this year, with the subject seeing the highest increase in applications (53%), along with philosophy (43%), and architecture (30%).

Ho hum.....
Looks like little bro has a bit of competition! :o:
Reply 54
tony_ron
I got in for History with an A in History, a B in Religious Studies and a B in Philsophy. Worth a go. Anyone who is of the standard to apply to Cambrige is BOUND to get an offer from at least a few other Universities on their list so I would say it's probably worth having a go.

did you apply post a level? did you do an AEA?
tony_ron

I envy everything about you. :p:
adamscybot
I was hoping to apply to Cambridge for Computer Science but am now unsure. Here are my AS grades:

Computing - A
Electronics - A
Maths (not further) - B
Physics - B

How will you cope with the maths in comp sci ?
Cam's comp sci is very, very maths intensive.
DeanK2
Does the math course really have excel usage?

mathematica is not excel.
Reply 58
I think you'll get an interview, but will have to really prove your capability and work the extra mile at interview if you want to get the offer. Getting an interview should be okay, in my opinion.
Reply 59
You may get an interview, you won't get an offer.
For CompSci you really need to have As in Maths and Further Maths to have a good shot at getting in. If you're not getting As in C1 and C2 you won't be able to handle the maths work involved in the course, simple as that. I was good at maths at school (qualified for the BMO2, got As in every module in Maths, and then stopped working and still got an A in F Maths) and I find the work quite hard - in fact, I'm currently procrastinating from doing my maths supervision work.

Latest

Trending

Trending