The Student Room Group

ADHD not being taken seriously

Hi, I have gone to my GP about my ADHD and the doctor himself said that it's severe after his tests and stuff, but told me that I should focus on meditating rather than giving me actual medicine for it. My grades have been at its worse for my A-levels bc of my ADHD and I'm year 13. Other parts of my life such as general conversations is affected too. Is there anything I can do?
I've been through this and I didnt even know I had ADHD at that time. Having gone through it I'd advise to find a strong reason for getting good grades and use that as a motivation to stay concentrated. I know it's easy to get distracted with ADHD but once you realise that your goals are dependent on a sheet of paper, you become more aware and slightly stressed. Use that stress to get the adrenaline pumping and utilise it for studying. Keep in touch with a doctor, keep nudging them until they prescribe something. I would also recommend writing down any patterns and show the GP your results as evidence of the effects of ADHD. Maybe talk to your teacher. Someone that taught you for a long time and noticed your grades slipping who can vouch for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've been through this and I didnt even know I had ADHD at that time. Having gone through it I'd advise to find a strong reason for getting good grades and use that as a motivation to stay concentrated. I know it's easy to get distracted with ADHD but once you realise that your goals are dependent on a sheet of paper, you become more aware and slightly stressed. Use that stress to get the adrenaline pumping and utilise it for studying. Keep in touch with a doctor, keep nudging them until they prescribe something. I would also recommend writing down any patterns and show the GP your results as evidence of the effects of ADHD. Maybe talk to your teacher. Someone that taught you for a long time and noticed your grades slipping who can vouch for you.

thank you for this, ill definitely follow through
Reply 3
my gp only has that one doctor, going to another gp will be hard but ill try, thanks
GPs can't prescribe ADHD medications (stimulants). You need to ask for a CAMHS referral. If you are too old, ask if they have an adult ADHD diagnostic service (unfortunately provision in the UK is poor).
If you have a couple of hundred pounds spare, you could pay for an assessment and potential prescription yourself.

If your difficulties are well documented in school reports and doctors notes (or reports from any other agency) , but can't afford an assessment, you could attempt to claim PIP to fund it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
thank you for the replies, truly

Quick Reply

Latest