The Student Room Group

I posted my personal statement online - help!

Yes before you call me stupid - I know, I feel like such a fool

I posted my personal statement on here for feedback this morning - eventually it got privated by a moderator who has told me I need to rewrite it as it may come up in a plagiarism check. Is this true? It was only up for like 10 minutes max and I can almost guarantee no one copied it, no one even interacted with it.
Can I have opinions on whether I need to write a new one and how I can check whether or not it'll come up on a plagiarism check?
THANK YOU !
Original post by ghosty19

I posted my personal statement on here for feedback this morning - eventually it got privated by a moderator who has told me I need to rewrite it as it may come up in a plagiarism check. Is this true? It was only up for like 10 minutes max and I can almost guarantee no one copied it, no one even interacted with it.
Can I have opinions on whether I need to write a new one and how I can check whether or not it'll come up on a plagiarism check?
THANK YOU !

just check with the mod if the thread is deleted.. if it is, good to go, if its just locked out, then it may come up on plagiarism softwares (depending on how good it is)... Check with the TSR team if they can delete the original thread...

THANK YOU !

In my opinion its better to be safe than sorry and rewrite it because it would be a real shame if you got done for plagiarism :// If it was literally your final draft, I'd email your UCAS referee or even UCAS directly and explain what has happened, but I think they'll probably tell you to rewrite it! Hope it works out for you Good luck! x
If you're sure that nobody saw it or could have potentially copied it, then that's fine, you dodged a bullet. If not then you might have to rewrite it :frown: my school uses turnitin to check for plagiarism in essays so maybe this is something that you could do first?
Reply 4
The general advice on here is to rewrite, pages can be cached by search engines quickly, so even once it is removed from the site it could still be out there :frown:
Just because no one interacted with it doesn’t mean no one saw it or copied it. Many people browse TSR without actually having an account on the site so it is definitely possible that someone may have seen it unfortunately.

It’s a great inconvenience right now but if you try to rewrite what you’ve already written in a different way, you’ll be rest assured in the long term that there has been no breach in UCAS and university guidelines.
Reply 6
please look at my last thread if you can!
To sum it up I've posted my personal statement on here for feedback (I did not realise you weren't allowed to do that) and have been told I now need to rewrite.
Can anyone tell me if I can still write about the same things (e.g. I'm applying for criminology so have written about criminal cases) and have everything in the same order, with just different phrasing?
I am just scared to rewrite it and I'm worried the new one will look plagiarised if the old one is ever discovered, if you know what I mean
Advise on how to write differently and how different it needs to be would be appreciated! thank you guys
please look at my last thread if you can!
To sum it up I've posted my personal statement on here for feedback (I did not realise you weren't allowed to do that) and have been told I now need to rewrite.
Can anyone tell me if I can still write about the same things (e.g. I'm applying for criminology so have written about criminal cases) and have everything in the same order, with just different phrasing?
I am just scared to rewrite it and I'm worried the new one will look plagiarised if the old one is ever discovered, if you know what I mean
Advise on how to write differently and how different it needs to be would be appreciated! thank you guys

In the absolutely tiny likelihood that this could be picked up (winning the lottery type chances) then you could easily prove from the threads on here that you wrote the original.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
In the absolutely tiny likelihood that this could be picked up (winning the lottery type chances) then you could easily prove from the threads on here that you wrote the original.

Really? I was told by a moderator on here that I would most-definitely be picked up on the plagiarism checker! If ucas were to say I plagiarised it do you know what the process would be to reverse that accusation and prove I posted it?
Really? I was told by a moderator on here that I would most-definitely be picked up on the plagiarism checker! If ucas were to say I plagiarised it do you know what the process would be to reverse that accusation and prove I posted it?

It's obvious from all the threads you've posted!

How long did you leave it on here? If it was only up for a short time and has since been deleted then it shouldn't be an issue. Make sure to use the TSR personal statement system next time so it won't get picked up as plagiarism.
Ultimately, if you choose not to rewrite it and it comes up in the plagiarism checks - you will have to just take the consequences that come with that. This article explains the issue of posting it on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statement-plagiarism-all-you-need-to-know

"I posted my personal statement on TSR - am I in trouble?
The short answer is yes. Posting your personal statement on TSR is likely to be an issue. If you've posted yours on the forums you're probably going to have to start over from scratch. Here's why:

TSR is a public, anonymous forum so it will be difficult for you to prove that you were the person who originally posted it. You also need to remember that anyone can read what’s written (and TSR gets millions of page views per day), meaning that someone could steal your PS to use for their own application. You never know who’s reading TSR, or any other public website.

Remember that personal statements won't be immediately discounted if they're picked up by the automatic detector. They'll be looked over by a person first. If yours is flagged and you have evidence to show that you are the original author than you might be okay, although there are no guarantees. It's much better to avoid the heartache."
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending