The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

With two "Soft" A levels, and pretty poor GCSE grades, there's very very very little chance they'd even consider your application.
Reply 2
Your a bit late mate. you can start training, but this time next year your not going to be at the right level. you'll look better though.

They'd still want good grades.

Not going to oxbridge isn't the end of the world, there are a hundred and a bit more to apply to, although not all worth it.

Just check what really floats your boat.
Reply 3
I've heard rowing skills is all they look for these days
Reply 4
yoshifumu
Your a bit late mate. you can start training, but this time next year your not going to be at the right level. you'll look better though.

Not going to oxbridge isn't the end of the world, there are a hundred and a bit more to apply to, although not all worth it.

Ba-dum Pishhh!
Reply 5
yoshifumu

Hmm i suppose but i was just thinking that getting A* at A level would cancel the bad gcse's out.

Also Ive got 2 years to train because ive just started my A.s

And i will be dropping Business Studies at A.s also i didnt realise I.C.T was a soft subject?
Reply 6
Haha, this is probably not serious, but I'll give a serious reply anyway... They don't care about rowing. In fact, the people who make the decisions (the academic tutors, exclusively fellows of the colleges) are pretty notorious for warding students AWAY from rowing, because it takes up so much time and impacts grades. So no, it won't help you at all - this isn't America, you don't get sports scholarships, and even Olympic (/world) class rowers and rugby players have to be academically good enough to be accepted onto their course normally, whether they were sportsmen/women or not.
Jamezzy
Hi i achieved ABBCCCCCCD for Gcse.:mad:

And i was wondering if my chance of applying to cambridge to do an economics course is ruined?

Im taking Maths, Economics, Business and ICT for A level.

I am quite fit, I walk 2 hours a day, go to kickboxing and to a gym. If i get really good at rowing and achieve 4 A*s at A level i was wondering if they would consider me.

dont take offense but;
1) Your gcses are terrible compared to the average Cambridge applicant
2) You are very unlikely to get 4 A* having achieved those gcses
3) They only consider academic criteria so 'being fit' isnt really relavent (loads of clever people play sport mate)

buuuuuuuuut if you DO get really good AS results then you may as well. :smile: Otherwise, its a waste. :yep:
IT is a soft subject.

Computing, on the other hand, isn't.

Though without Further Maths A level, Economics at Cambridge may be out of reach...
Yeap, you can push the punts around :p:
Reply 10
T-o dore
dont take offense but;
1) Your gcses are terrible compared to the average Cambridge applicant
2) You are very unlikely to get 4 A* having achieved those gcses
3) They only consider academic criteria so 'being fit' isnt really relavent (loads of clever people play sport mate)

buuuuuuuuut if you DO get really good AS results then you may as well. :smile: Otherwise, its a waste. :yep:

Okay thanks for the advice, at gcse I didn't put in any effort at all which i regret, However now im working 3-5 hours a night and handing my coursework in early.
Reply 11
Land Economy is your best bet. :yep:

Rowing and Rugby will be all they'll look at; they won't even ask for GCSEs, only sporting trophies. :smile:
loooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

i dont think you will ever get to that standard in two years. and even if you did i dont think they would care that much.

you dont have great gcses
you are doing 2 soft a level subjects
you arent doing further maths (im assuming they like further maths)

just lol at this thread
Reply 13
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the fitness test they give at interviews.
Reply 14
It's not ruined, assuming you get very good grades now and perform very well at the interview. Rowing has no effect though, unless you're at like olympic level.

Good luck
Aconite
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the fitness test they give at interviews.

Ye - OP, look on the Cambridge website. Basically at the interview, they make all the applicants play hopscotch, and the ones who last the longest gets the place - it can take days.
Oh look. It's James Cracknell.
Jamezzy
Hi i achieved ABBCCCCCCD for Gcse.:mad:

And i was wondering if my chance of applying to cambridge to do an economics course is ruined?

Im taking Maths, Economics, Business and ICT for A level.

I am quite fit, I walk 2 hours a day, go to kickboxing and to a gym. If i get really good at rowing and achieve 4 A*s at A level i was wondering if they would consider me.

As I know they are quite keen on rowing.

Or should I not bother applying at all?

What were the A and Bs in gcse?
Reply 18
Are you actually any good at rowing? Ploughing your way through the white foam as the waves lap against the sharp prow of your boat? Biceps straining as you thrust your chest out and haul against the oars. Lycra costume clinging to your sweaty body as your manly bulges shift the boat through the water...
Reply 19
T-o dore
Ye - OP, look on the Cambridge website. Basically at the interview, they make all the applicants play hopscotch, and the ones who last the longest gets the place - it can take days.

I swear it was skipping rope? Although I believe they are changing it to rolling a hoop around the quadrangle this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending