The Student Room Group

further pure 1 for further maths a level

to anyone whose done the new 2019 spec for edexcel and did FP1 as one of the optional modules- how is it? i'm doing fm1 and not sure whether to pick fs1 or fp1 as the second choice.
Original post by mangoes8061
to anyone whose done the new 2019 spec for edexcel and did FP1 as one of the optional modules- how is it? i'm doing fm1 and not sure whether to pick fs1 or fp1 as the second choice.

Some chapters were easier than others. In total there's 9 chapters, some chapters you could probably complete in a day or 2, for example inequalities, others can be more difficult, such as conic sections 1 and 2. All in all, I'd say it's a decent module, probably slightly easier than Core Pure 2. What A levels are you taking and what do you want to study at uni?
Original post by Not Too Sure
Some chapters were easier than others. In total there's 9 chapters, some chapters you could probably complete in a day or 2, for example inequalities, others can be more difficult, such as conic sections 1 and 2. All in all, I'd say it's a decent module, probably slightly easier than Core Pure 2. What A levels are you taking and what do you want to study at uni?

taking maths, fm and physics. i'd like to study physics at uni. we are being asked to pick between fp1 and fs1 as a class.
taking maths, fm and physics. i'd like to study physics at uni. we are being asked to pick between fp1 and fs1 as a class.

I don't study physics at uni, but I think further pure will be more useful. It's kinda abstract which I'm guessing is what you'll be doing at uni. That's just a speculation of course, best to speak to a current physics student. I can answer questions about the content of fp1 if that's what you want.
I don't study physics at uni, but I think further pure will be more useful. It's kinda abstract which I'm guessing is what you'll be doing at uni. That's just a speculation of course, best to speak to a current physics student. I can answer questions about the content of fp1 if that's what you want.

which other module did you do? and how did fp1 compare to it?
which other module did you do? and how did fp1 compare to it?

Fp2, I think fp2 was harder by a decent amount. Fp1 was somewhat understandable and could be self taught.
I struggled with group theory in particular from fp2, it was new content and not in previous specs, and not much resources online.
Fp2, I think fp2 was harder by a decent amount. Fp1 was somewhat understandable and could be self taught.
I struggled with group theory in particular from fp2, it was new content and not in previous specs, and not much resources online.

thank you for the help, i'd really like to do fp1 so we'll see
(edited 3 years ago)
thank you for the help, i'd really like to do fp1 so we'll see

Np, just remember getting a good grade is important, so take into account which you'll find easier. You should check our both books and see which topics you'll perform better on. And of course, your teacher should be comfortable teaching both modules.

Quick Reply

Latest