The Student Room Group

Dropping out of college

After everything that is going on at the minute, I’m genuinely considering dropping out of college. I’m due to finish a BTEC in the summer in engineering and was predicted a D*D*D* but now the exams have been cancelled for the summer but not ours in April? Seems a bit unfair. And my teachers are fully expecting us to be able to keep up with the work that is being set when face to face teaching is completely different to remote. Just losing all motivation and frankly the will to live at this point. Ive cried 3 times today because of the stress and anxiety over what is going to happen over the next few days. I just dont care anymore
Original post by Anonymous
After everything that is going on at the minute, I’m genuinely considering dropping out of college. I’m due to finish a BTEC in the summer in engineering and was predicted a D*D*D* but now the exams have been cancelled for the summer but not ours in April? Seems a bit unfair. And my teachers are fully expecting us to be able to keep up with the work that is being set when face to face teaching is completely different to remote. Just losing all motivation and frankly the will to live at this point. Ive cried 3 times today because of the stress and anxiety over what is going to happen over the next few days. I just dont care anymore

Are you sure? Students were supposed to do one of their btec exams today in college but the school was given the option to carry them on or not and decided to cancel because the COVID levels in the schools area was really high

Check news reports cause they’re supposed to be continued... that sounds weird 🙁

Well, it appears you are rather distressed at your position in life, and so the immediate thing to tell you is that anxiety will not overcome the problem at hand.

First of all, you say you are predicted a D*D*D*, which is excellent. You should use the fact that your teachers believe in you so much, and that your work ethic, skill and input into the subject, is of such quality that you have been given such predicted grades; you should rejoice in that, since those grades clearly reflect your competence and ability in the subject. I believe that this on its own is motivation enough to tell you that you are clearly gifted in such an industry, and so you should continue to be such. We all have a place in society; some become doctors, lawyers, philosophers, economists, and guess what, we need engineers like you too (assuming you want to be an engineer of course). We need you, and more generally, the entire planet needs you, since you, along with everyone else working in unison, is integral to keeping our society alive, functioning and in harmony. Albeit, you are a small piece of that puzzle, but if you suddenly lose motivation now, fail your exams and do not become that engineer, you will always be that missing piece in our society that we can never find. Imagine a society without engineers; we would never have gotten to this age in our human development without them.

Indeed, remote teaching is different, but guess what; in the wild, it is the fittest that survive, and it is those that can adapt to their surroundings and thrive off that who become the top dogs. In fact, if you really think about it, remote learning allows you to make your own schedule, and really put in the work at home. Yes, you may have distractions, but you need to override your psychology by having that one goal in mind.

Actually, let me "reverse-engineer" the solution for you; in order for you to become an engineer, what do you need? Qualifications and experience. You will gain experience once you gain your qualifications, as your qualifications prove to employers, apprenticeship organisations and companies that you can display the work ethic, skill and effort to be productive and useful. Therefore, you are simply on the first step, which is to gain your qualifications. If you fail step one, you can never get to step two, in which you can never reach the ultimate goal. You are simply on the right path, albeit a difficult one, but you must adapt, and you must persevere in order to add some structure to your life, and re-discover why you truly took a BTEC in engineering in the first place.

To do good, you must overcome the self by submitting yourself to ritual. A ritual is not something you do over and over again, as you fall in the danger of becoming a habitual creature, which we do not want. Instead, a ritual is the process of breaking habits that ultimately allow you to become good, and in your context, gain qualifications. There is no such thing as a true, pre-given self, since this is always something you discover depending on your responses to external stimuli and your life experiences.

I hope this helped; remember, survive, evolve, learn, adapt.
Original post by therationalbeing
Well, it appears you are rather distressed at your position in life, and so the immediate thing to tell you is that anxiety will not overcome the problem at hand.

First of all, you say you are predicted a D*D*D*, which is excellent. You should use the fact that your teachers believe in you so much, and that your work ethic, skill and input into the subject, is of such quality that you have been given such predicted grades; you should rejoice in that, since those grades clearly reflect your competence and ability in the subject. I believe that this on its own is motivation enough to tell you that you are clearly gifted in such an industry, and so you should continue to be such. We all have a place in society; some become doctors, lawyers, philosophers, economists, and guess what, we need engineers like you too (assuming you want to be an engineer of course). We need you, and more generally, the entire planet needs you, since you, along with everyone else working in unison, is integral to keeping our society alive, functioning and in harmony. Albeit, you are a small piece of that puzzle, but if you suddenly lose motivation now, fail your exams and do not become that engineer, you will always be that missing piece in our society that we can never find. Imagine a society without engineers; we would never have gotten to this age in our human development without them.

Indeed, remote teaching is different, but guess what; in the wild, it is the fittest that survive, and it is those that can adapt to their surroundings and thrive off that who become the top dogs. In fact, if you really think about it, remote learning allows you to make your own schedule, and really put in the work at home. Yes, you may have distractions, but you need to override your psychology by having that one goal in mind.

Actually, let me "reverse-engineer" the solution for you; in order for you to become an engineer, what do you need? Qualifications and experience. You will gain experience once you gain your qualifications, as your qualifications prove to employers, apprenticeship organisations and companies that you can display the work ethic, skill and effort to be productive and useful. Therefore, you are simply on the first step, which is to gain your qualifications. If you fail step one, you can never get to step two, in which you can never reach the ultimate goal. You are simply on the right path, albeit a difficult one, but you must adapt, and you must persevere in order to add some structure to your life, and re-discover why you truly took a BTEC in engineering in the first place.

To do good, you must overcome the self by submitting yourself to ritual. A ritual is not something you do over and over again, as you fall in the danger of becoming a habitual creature, which we do not want. Instead, a ritual is the process of breaking habits that ultimately allow you to become good, and in your context, gain qualifications. There is no such thing as a true, pre-given self, since this is always something you discover depending on your responses to external stimuli and your life experiences.

I hope this helped; remember, survive, evolve, learn, adapt.

Erm I get where your coming from (this isn’t the person who made the thread) but your 100% wrong about saying the only way they can reach their goal is to have qualifications... yes it helps and is positive but there are so many different paths for each individual to become successful in their own way

In such a modern contemporary society it’s not about working hard... it’s about working smart

There are so many people who work soooooo hard just to have a roof over their head and food on the table but are not happy with their life because they were told if they work hard everything will be perfect WRONG

First make sure whatever you do makes you happy...that means get a qualification in what you love not what society or the people who you think determine your future will love more... because at the end of the day no one can take that any from you . They can take your house, your job, your money but as long as you have that you’ll be the one laughing because you did what made YOU happy

Second it’s not always about competition... the UK especially is quite circulated around competition that’s why the English are considered to not have an identity... the Russell group universities may not be where you can gain connections with individuals who can help build your future and your ideas for your future

All these are forgotten or not even considered because we’re so stuck on being the best and not doing what we love... this is why this countries has high stress levels... there’s basically no peace (look at how boris didn’t even want to cancel the GCSE and A Level exams, he had MONTHS), they just keep causing confusion and people are really starting to give up and you can’t blame them ITS A MESS
Reply 4
Do you study badly due to depression?
When did it begin?
Original post by shebk
Do you study badly due to depression?
When did it begin?

Depression leads to academic failure unfortunately. I have had mental depression and condition for 2 years now.
You need to get yourself together a bit, if you drop out of college what are you going to do? When your employer asks for your qualifications what are you going to say? Teachers are doing mini exams to determine your grades so you need to pull yourself together and get on with it. Not trying to be rude but that's the truth
Reply 7
Depression leads to academic failure unfortunately. I have had mental depression and condition for 2 years now.

I’m sorry to hear that

Quick Reply

Latest