The Student Room Group

A level maths

Hi guys,
can anyone tell me their experience with a level maths i.e what grades were you on at the first couple of months and what were your final grades noting where you saw your biggest improvement in.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by John Sergie
Hi guys,
can anyone tell me their experience with a level maths i.e what grades were you on at the first couple of months and what were your final grades noting where you saw your biggest improvement in.

Thanks

Hi I'm in year 13 at the moment. For the first year we didn't do any proper pure papers they were a selection of questions picked by my teacher so my grades didn't really reflect the true difficulty of the exam yet simply because we hadn't learnt enough content. I remember trying isolated exam questions and getting them almost all wrong so honestly I'm not sure I really even had a grade for the first 2 months. Stats and Mechanics papers I remember getting As and Bs on throughout but that fluctuated. I personally found for the AS papers a sudden shoot up in confidence once we had completed all the content because you were able to attempt all the questions properly. I did mocks just before Xmas consisting on AS mechs, AS stats + A2 probability and AS pure + A2 trig and algebra. It was honestly the hardest set of papers I'd done and I lost all my confidence. I think I got a B in stats, and A* in mechs and an A* in pure which somehow gave me a A* overall (I think it had a lower grade boundary due to the question difficulty). Mechs is the only one I have found a fairly linear progression for but that has only come from tonnes of practice as I struggle with it.
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
Hi I'm in year 13 at the moment. For the first year we didn't do any proper pure papers they were a selection of questions picked by my teacher so my grades didn't really reflect the true difficulty of the exam yet simply because we hadn't learnt enough content. I remember trying isolated exam questions and getting them almost all wrong so honestly I'm not sure I really even had a grade for the first 2 months. Stats and Mechanics papers I remember getting As and Bs on throughout but that fluctuated. I personally found for the AS papers a sudden shoot up in confidence once we had completed all the content because you were able to attempt all the questions properly. I did mocks just before Xmas consisting on AS mechs, AS stats + A2 probability and AS pure + A2 trig and algebra. It was honestly the hardest set of papers I'd done and I lost all my confidence. I think I got a B in stats, and A* in mechs and an A* in pure which somehow gave me a A* overall (I think it had a lower grade boundary due to the question difficulty). Mechs is the only one I have found a fairly linear progression for but that has only come from tonnes of practice as I struggle with it.

Any advice for improving my maths grade? I'm finding most of the past papers I'm doing hard or not doing so well in them. I don't know where to go from there?

same statistics and mechanics is long-winded.Pure maths is nice, straight to the question, you know what I mean
Original post by Hiro2468
Any advice for improving my maths grade? I'm finding most of the past papers I'm doing hard or not doing so well in them. I don't know where to go from there?

What year are you in??? Honestly I don't think I could have even attempted a paper at this point in year 12. Dr Frost is really good because you can select a specific topic and get lots of exam question for that area only (note: it doesn't always filter properly and you may end up with some you can't answer). Textbook questions are really good whilst you're still improving in a topic as they allow you to practice the skill usually in a slightly easier question. Me and my sister ended up buying a textbook like we had at school to share at home. Perhaps you could ask your school if you could borrow a textbook over a weekend (once we go back lol!). sites like mathsmadeeasy and solution bank are good (solution bank shows you worked through solutions). Another thing I forgot to say about Dr Frost is that it has powerpoint going through every topic which are really good to look back on.
What year are you in??? Honestly I don't think I could have even attempted a paper at this point in year 12. Dr Frost is really good because you can select a specific topic and get lots of exam question for that area only (note: it doesn't always filter properly and you may end up with some you can't answer). Textbook questions are really good whilst you're still improving in a topic as they allow you to practice the skill usually in a slightly easier question. Me and my sister ended up buying a textbook like we had at school to share at home. Perhaps you could ask your school if you could borrow a textbook over a weekend (once we go back lol!). sites like mathsmadeeasy and solution bank are good (solution bank shows you worked through solutions). Another thing I forgot to say about Dr Frost is that it has powerpoint going through every topic which are really good to look back on.

Thanks for the advice
For me I'm having this problem when doing questions after revising a topic, The questions just seem unfamiliar to the things I revised thus I get low marks when doing questions. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Could it be because I'm only using videos and taking notes?
same statistics and mechanics is long-winded.Pure maths is nice, straight to the question, you know what I mean

I loved AS pure but sorry to say but pure becomes more long-winded at A2 in parts. Stats isn't too bad from what I've done and I only started A2 mechs today so I can't really comment. Honestly, the more AS mechs I do the better they seem and I now feel quite confident answering them except for the 1 mark assumptions I always get them wrong :smile:
I loved AS pure but sorry to say but pure becomes more long-winded at A2 in parts. Stats isn't too bad from what I've done and I only started A2 mechs today so I can't really comment. Honestly, the more AS mechs I do the better they seem and I now feel quite confident answering them except for the 1 mark assumptions I always get them wrong :smile:

Ahh shame
Ahh shame

Its just domain and range (sorry for the A2 spoiler). You may love it but I loathe it. Oh and exponentials but I can't remember what's AS and what is A2
Hi guys,

Thanks

Hey! I'm in year 11. I want to pick maths A level but a lot of people are saying its hard. I didn't revise much for paper 1 or paper2 in my mocks i revised for paper 3. I got a 5+ in paper 1 :/ which was disappointing it was honestly so hard. In paper 2 I got a 6 which isn't the best either. But In paper 3 I got an 8 :smile: So my overall was a 7. My brother does A level Maths and is in his final year. He got a grade 8 in GCSE and found A level maths easy and is predicted A/A*. However he did mention a lot of the students who got grades 6sand even 7s were struggling with A level maths. Not all though.
Its just domain and range (sorry for the A2 spoiler). You may love it but I loathe it. Oh and exponentials but I can't remember what's AS and what is A2

I'm scraping past statistics and mechanics, to be honest
I'm scraping past statistics and mechanics, to be honest

Honestly I was the same trust me it gets better with time. Have you done hypothesis tests in stats yet? If not they're a game changer as they're worth 5 marks and are basically the same every time. Don't get me wrong, the first lesson I was baffled by them but if you can get your head around it you'll be fine. Another encouraging thing about mechs is the second half is very pure based which if that's something you like then you'll probably enjoy more. I'm guessing you haven't done AS integration and differentiation yet but correct me if I'm wrong. Again a baffling topic in the first lesson but you'll get really confident with it on no time and then all of the last topic of mechs is on it

Thanks for the advice! I'm in year 13 as well, but I really gotta pull through for my upcoming mock. I'll check out Dr Frost, this time I'll actually proper check how to use it.

Any advice for domain and range? I hate it and always lose marks because of it.
Honestly I was the same trust me it gets better with time. Have you done hypothesis tests in stats yet? If not they're a game changer as they're worth 5 marks and are basically the same every time. Don't get me wrong, the first lesson I was baffled by them but if you can get your head around it you'll be fine. Another encouraging thing about mechs is the second half is very pure based which if that's something you like then you'll probably enjoy more. I'm guessing you haven't done AS integration and differentiation yet but correct me if I'm wrong. Again a baffling topic in the first lesson but you'll get really confident with it on no time and then all of the last topic of mechs is on it

Yes, I have done differentiation and integration which I really enjoy. But not yet started on hypothesis testing, I might start it next week actually. Good to hear the second half of mechanics is pure based as well. For me statistical distribution is pain
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes, I have done differentiation and integration which I really enjoy. But not yet started on hypothesis testing, I might start it next week actually. Good to hear the second half of mechanics is pure based as well. For me statistical distribution is pain

Oh sounds like you're further ahead than I was. Yh mechanics has a whole topic on it. I agree about stats :frown:
Oh sounds like you're further ahead than I was. Yh mechanics has a whole topic on it. I agree about stats :frown:

im not even half way done with the AS syllabus.Hopefully i can finish the AS syllabus by April.But that is a big ask
Hi guys,

Thanks

The first few months were essentially GCSE Maths, with some new concepts introduced. I started off working at a B, but scored an A in my end of year exam (grade boundaries are high for AS, but much lower at A2). I saw the biggest improvement just before the middle of the academic year where I scored 97% on a test on the first 6 chapters of the Edexcel Pure Maths textbook. Year 1 is essentially the foundation for Year 2 where trickier concepts are introduced and a lot more is covered and becomes ‘assumed knowledge’ for the later topics. Getting loads of practice questions done is imperative to succeed.
im not even half way done with the AS syllabus.Hopefully i can finish the AS syllabus by April.But that is a big ask

I would worry too much it's understandable given the current situation. Which topics have you done?
For pure:Proof,sequences and series,differentiation and integration. For statistics everything except hypothesis testing.For mechanics everything except forces and newtons laws

Quick Reply

Latest