The Student Room Group

What should I pick for my GCSE?

I'm in year 9 now and I'm going to pick my options soon, I don't really know which to pick. I'm thinking of a job in engineering/computer science and I only have 2 subjects to pick other than my core subjects.
What should I do?
Original post by ok12358
I'm in year 9 now and I'm going to pick my options soon, I don't really know which to pick. I'm thinking of a job in engineering/computer science and I only have 2 subjects to pick other than my core subjects.
What should I do?

Well, what subjects do you enjoy? And which ones are you good at?
Original post by ok12358
What should I do?

Maybe pick computer science, to ensure you actually want to go into this field later in life! To be honest it doesn't really matter which gcses you take. It is alevels which count! So, my advice is select gcses which you enjoy :smile:
Reply 3
If you only have 2 spaces left i recommend you pick one that you think you’d have a longstanding interest in! For me i picked compsci and it was tons of fun haha we learn about theory and programming and i promise it’s not as bad as it sounds like. Would deffo recommend if ur planning to get an engineering/compsci related job! As for the other you could choose one you like but i think u’d like to know that on average people who pick art & dt have to spend a **** ton of time in the art block each week which is rly time consuming esp when theres lots of prep 😫😫😫 anyways good luck in picking subjects and i hope u pick what u enjoy (maybe compsci..? 😏) xxx
As the users above have said, choose something you enjoy. I will advise you not to choose art though, unless you're some Van Gogh reincarnate. It's a LOT of coursework and really takes away your time to study your other subjects. Imo that was a waste of a subject and I wish I'd done something else so I could have a better grade in place of it.
If you want to go into engineering/computer science you need A level Maths and Physics for uni. So triple science GCSE is a must. Any further maths options would be ideal too but don't feel like you have to do this. Though getting an 8 or 9 in GCSE maths is crucial for a level physics. For your two other options:
- Computer science GCSE is quite a short course, therefore, it gives you lots of time to revise, plus it's not that academically challenging
- For your second subject I would suggest picking a subject you know you can do well in as that will be crucial for when you apply to university(esp the top unis).
Original post by ty727
If you only have 2 spaces left i recommend you pick one that you think you’d have a longstanding interest in! For me i picked compsci and it was tons of fun haha we learn about theory and programming and i promise it’s not as bad as it sounds like. Would deffo recommend if ur planning to get an engineering/compsci related job! As for the other you could choose one you like but i think u’d like to know that on average people who pick art & dt have to spend a **** ton of time in the art block each week which is rly time consuming esp when theres lots of prep 😫😫😫 anyways good luck in picking subjects and i hope u pick what u enjoy (maybe compsci..? 😏) xxx

Haha, I'd question the 'fun' aspect of compsci, but yeah it is better than a lot of people seem to think it is (plus the NEA didn't count for our year so I'm pretty sure that boosted my grade :laugh:)
Original post by GoldenSugaCube
Haha, I'd question the 'fun' aspect of compsci, but yeah it is better than a lot of people seem to think it is (plus the NEA didn't count for our year so I'm pretty sure that boosted my grade :laugh:)

The main problem I found with GCSE computer science is that you get a group of lads taking it instead of Geography and History because they think its 'easier'. So, therefore, you just get this rowdy class in most state schools in which can make the lessons long af. You start to question some of these kids intelligence half the time.
Reply 8

Our class got to visit art installations and this compsci museum with a replica of that machine alan turing made! Which was pretty fun imo 😫😫 and once u get to the parts where u learn about computer components thats also pretty cool...I’m sorry about your art experience but i hope u did get to have a bit of fun!
Do not yield to peer pressure. Read the entire options information booklet properly, talk to people like a trusted careers advisor etc, make some brief notes then finally decide what to study. Find out as much detail as possible in order to make a totally informed decision about your study choices. Best of luck to you.
This is a really big life decision to have to make really so yeah my first piece of advice to you is do not rush it either. Finally take into account your grades too for each subject. Also consider all of your strengths and weaknesses. In other words take a very careful look at the teacher comments and any numbers on the end of year school report.
Original post by CaitlinDeCat
The main problem I found with GCSE computer science is that you get a group of lads taking it instead of Geography and History because they think its 'easier'. So, therefore, you just get this rowdy class in most state schools in which can make the lessons long af. You start to question some of these kids intelligence half the time.

Ooh, that sounds kinda rough. Mine was the opposite, I go to a grammar so everyone in my class (save for myself lmao) was fully invested in the subject and actually knew what they were doing. None of us liked the teacher though!
Ooh, that sounds kinda rough. Mine was the opposite, I go to a grammar so everyone in my class (save for myself lmao) was fully invested in the subject and actually knew what they were doing. None of us liked the teacher though!

I did my GCSEs at an underperforming state school and I was about 5 lessons ahead of everyone else in computer science. It was actually a joke, the teacher would ask a question and he would stand at the front for 5mins screaming at them all because none of them had done any work. I just sat in front of the window and daydreamed lmao.

It's ironic though because now I have moved to a private school on an academic scholarship and I am the only person in the class. We finished all the content by November and now are just doing exam practice and NEA. How the tables turn ey.
As the users above have said, choose something you enjoy. I will advise you not to choose art though, unless you're some Van Gogh reincarnate. It's a LOT of coursework and really takes away your time to study your other subjects. Imo that was a waste of a subject and I wish I'd done something else so I could have a better grade in place of it.

To add to this, if it's not already required by your school, maybe consider a foreign language if you think you have the aptitude for it. It can come really handy when applying to university. In fact, UCL mandates that by the time of graduation from one of their degrees, students must have a 5, I believe, in a foreign language GCSE (other universities may have something similar too).
Original post by ty727
Our class got to visit art installations and this compsci museum with a replica of that machine alan turing made! Which was pretty fun imo 😫😫 and once u get to the parts where u learn about computer components thats also pretty cool...I’m sorry about your art experience but i hope u did get to have a bit of fun!

Wow, that is cool! I wish I could retake it at your school :laugh: ours was so dull, save for the people I sat with. Honestly I hated the computer architecture topic because our teacher was bad at explaining it, and assumed we knew all the technical terms, so I was lost that whole time!
Haha, no need to apologise, it was a good solidarity building subject cause almost all of us hated art with a burning passion by the end of the course and bonded over it :h:
I did my GCSEs at an underperforming state school and I was about 5 lessons ahead of everyone else in computer science. It was actually a joke, the teacher would ask a question and he would stand at the front for 5mins screaming at them all because none of them had done any work. I just sat in front of the window and daydreamed lmao.

It's ironic though because now I have moved to a private school on an academic scholarship and I am the only person in the class. We finished all the content by November and now are just doing exam practice and NEA. How the tables turn ey.

You must have been good to be that far ahead, I was practically 5 lessons behind all the time :embarrassed: tbh I think our teacher low-key gave up at some point since we hated answering questions, so there'd always be dead silence whenever he taught and we'd only talk while working - it's a miracle I learnt anything!
That's actually so cool, is it like having one-to-one tutoring since you're the only student? Tbf you seem to be good at compsci so I'm not surprised you've already sped through the course! I doubt I'll understand it, but what are doing for your NEA, out of interest?
You must have been good to be that far ahead, I was practically 5 lessons behind all the time :embarrassed: tbh I think our teacher low-key gave up at some point since we hated answering questions, so there'd always be dead silence whenever he taught and we'd only talk while working - it's a miracle I learnt anything!
That's actually so cool, is it like having one-to-one tutoring since you're the only student? Tbf you seem to be good at compsci so I'm not surprised you've already sped through the course! I doubt I'll understand it, but what are doing for your NEA, out of interest?

Creating an application to store and calculate human and physical geography fieldwork data. I want it to incorporate GPS etc and allow you to add sites and projects. It's not that complex but yea, I am quite good at the write-ups for things like this so I can gain extra marks there.

The one on one teaching is very much a tutor lead approach.
Class sizes:
Cs 1
Physics 1
Maths (year 12 was just me) 3
Geography 4
EPQ 8 (but 1 on 1 for year 13)
(edited 3 years ago)
Creating an application to store and calculate human and physical geography fieldwork data. I want it to incorporate GPS etc and allow you to add sites and projects. It's not that complex but yea, I am quite good at the write-ups for things like this so I can gain extra marks there.

The one on one teaching is very much a tutor lead approach.
Class sizes:
Cs 1
Physics 1
Maths (year 12 was just me) 3
Geography 4
EPQ 8 (but 1 on 1 for year 13)

That actually sounds really cool, I suppose being able to do a good job on a less complex project is better than overcomplicating it and not doing as well. Good luck with finishing that, I'm sure you'll do great!
Woww, 5 subjects and 2 solo at that? What are you applying for with these?
Original post by abbbbbb.
Maybe pick computer science, to ensure you actually want to go into this field later in life! To be honest it doesn't really matter which gcses you take. It is alevels which count! So, my advice is select gcses which you enjoy :smile:

If it's OCR avoid it like the plague

Quick Reply

Latest