The Student Room Group

A level mocks 2021

Has anyone done or going to do mocks since this term started, how did they work and where they done online?
my online mocks start on the 25th. they'll either be on exam.net or teams. the school claims these exams won't be graded and they won't affect our final grades, they're "just to see what teachers need to focus on", but that's just bs.

update: i finished school on the 21st of may, we ended up doing a bunch of exams all throughout the last month which will be assessed and used to determine our final grades. i think everyone felt a lot more secure knowing that our performance will be taken into account and not just UCAS predictions - still, the gov scrapping grade boundaries is definitely causing some uncertainty.
(edited 2 years ago)
My school is taking a completely different approach to most other schools. The school decided not to go ahead with online exams due to the probable occurrence of cheating which they have no control over. It would be unfair for all students if the grades from these online exams influenced our final A level grade.

As a consequence, my school has hinted that there may be exams that we will sit once school reopens - this will be around March time if the government does not extend the current lockdown. My school is also considering doing another set of exams at a later date too to give us students multiple chances to get a good final grade.
Original post by Jabuticaba
My school is taking a completely different approach to most other schools. The school decided not to go ahead with online exams due to the probable occurrence of cheating which they have no control over. It would be unfair for all students if the grades from these online exams influenced our final A level grade.

As a consequence, my school has hinted that there may be exams that we will sit once school reopens - this will be around March time if the government does not extend the current lockdown. My school is also considering doing another set of exams at a later date too to give us students multiple chances to get a good final grade.

My school has planned on no mocks and we will only do exams if we need to in the end of the year
Original post by SparkleFace
My school has planned on no mocks and we will only do exams if we need to in the end of the year

No mocks at all? How will your school give students the grades they deserve? Apart from mock exams from year 12 and end of topic tests what evidence does your school have?

we've been told the same thing. a full set of mocks in march but do you really think schools will reopen?
Reply 6
We were told to come and collect our papers, sit them at home in exam conditions and then return them next week. There's the option to sit in school in an empty classroom to take them if you have distractions like younger siblings at home, but aside from that they're just trusting us not to cheat. I think people will though
No mocks at all? How will your school give students the grades they deserve? Apart from mock exams from year 12 and end of topic tests what evidence does your school have?

I don’t think they’ll use mock exams from last year as that data is really old. They’ll just use topic test grades and student effort most likely. There’s no point in doing mocks. Everyone will cheat. Everyone. Every student has joined a class group chat on Snapchat so everyone will just share answers so there’s no point.

Original post by millsr
We were told to come and collect our papers, sit them at home in exam conditions and then return them next week. There's the option to sit in school in an empty classroom to take them if you have distractions like younger siblings at home, but aside from that they're just trusting us not to cheat. I think people will though

Precisely
Reply 8
Any grades students get now are not going to be a true reflection of their ability. With so much teaching missed and virtual learning being a poor substitute I have no idea how teachers will accurately assess all the disruptions to give appropriate grades.Remember end of year exams were cancelled because it was unfair for students to take them given all the school time missed. So that means any form of exams will be unfair
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by veronikaa_
we've been told the same thing. a full set of mocks in march but do you really think schools will reopen?

I highly doubt that schools will reopen after the February half term. The government as in the first lockdown will probably just extend the lockdown for another couple of weeks. We could be back in school by April at the latest, I hope.

Original post by SparkleFace
I don’t think they’ll use mock exams from last year as that data is really old. They’ll just use topic test grades and student effort most likely. There’s no point in doing mocks. Everyone will cheat. Everyone. Every student has joined a class group chat on Snapchat so everyone will just share answers so there’s no point.

Precisely

What if some people did poorly on those topic tests? I know a few people who didn't put 100% effort into studying for those exams as they believed that they had a chance when summer exams come along. But then again, those have been cancelled...
I highly doubt that schools will reopen after the February half term. The government as in the first lockdown will probably just extend the lockdown for another couple of weeks. We could be back in school by April at the latest, I hope.

What if some people did poorly on those topic tests? I know a few people who didn't put 100% effort into studying for those exams as they believed that they had a chance when summer exams come along. But then again, those have been cancelled...

Then nothing can be done.
Students should always put their 100 into topic tests as well
Tbh I would’ve have been upset if we did these so called ‘exams’.
It’s the fact that they ‘cancelled’ them in the beginning of jan and now there are rumours about us still doing them when we’ve missed so much of college and when they’ve lied to us. You know, I sat down and calculated how long I’ve been in college:
Year12- sept-March 7 months
Year 13- 2 weeks in September due to late start. Someone then caught corona in October so I didn’t for like a month as somebody else also caught it. November and 2 weeks of December before Christmas. This year I’ve only been in college for 2 months. Overall that’s a shabby 9 months of college.

If they didn’t lie to us in the first place then yes I’d agree, there would be no ping in us being upset about these ‘exams’.
Now colleges are gonna force mocks down our throats, when 2 weeks later we will have these ‘exams’.
But then again it’s not Thursday yet. This is all speculation.

I also have a theory about why they’re sending us on the 8th. If corona rates rise, Easter will calm it down so that means that the govt will still open schools after Easter as they’ll say the rates are good or something.
At our school we did mocks online. We joined a call on teams at the beginning of the exam and had to stay on it throughout the entire exam with our cameras on and mics off. We had an invigilator present and then we uploaded our exam answers as an assignment and left the call after the invigilator saw we had handed in the assignment. I think we have a second round of mocks as well when we go back to school.
(edited 3 years ago)
https://calendar.parliament.uk/calendar/Commons/All/2021/2/25/Daily

timetable for gavins speech tomorrow, hope it helps, good luck all :smile:
Original post by sum_bizzle
our two years have been wasted lolol. Its a case of it is what it is. But honestly the pressure of these mocks are crazy because nobody is ready for them now. I mean we've all been struggling with the new content from online school. How are we revising all of the content from two years, when we didn't even get the whole two years. just a tiny fraction.

whatever happens isn't a reflection of us- the setbacks, the mental problems- and its funny because teachers are also putting the pressure to still achieve grades that will reflect our best ability. that's not possible lol.

to be honest, as much as educators are sympathizing with us, at the end of the day they still expect us to excel and achieve amazing results, so their sympathy only goes so far. They will actually look surprised and angry if we wont perform well.

But the thing is pre-COVID year 13 was already spiraling students out of control and giving them issues because of how demanding the content is and how difficult it is to get what you need to be accepted into the schools, and all the application processes, the personal statement writing and the content. It was already stressful. But now with COVID, all of these extra issues brought about are being overlooked, we are expected to plough through it, with twists and turns brought by the government. And then if we don't do well, we are looked down upon as if to say 'everyone went through it, why couldn't you get something decent as well'.

Saying you went through circumstances as a way to explain why you fell behind is no longer special, because everyone is going through it. But honestly why is everyone holding these unrealistic expectations that we are okay right now. Just because this is a national problem all students are facing, does not mean that we all simultaneously evolved into these super students and that haven't been affected. When we aren't. But the fact that its everyone struggling right now automatically means you don't get the luxury of admitting your hardships because there cannot be national sympathy.

just a thought to share really. That the government have caused so much damage that even Boris admitted that to fix it would need about a year. But us final years don't have that. its either get the grade and mentally hurt yourself trying, or fail the grade and get rejected by your Uni's, seen as a failure and go through hell again knowing that now you have two sets of A-levels.

I totally agree with everything you have said here. I doubt that anyone who has mock exams upon returning to school will be adequately prepared for them, my school gave us less than a month's notice!

Our education system really does need to change...

Quick Reply

Latest