The Student Room Group

University seminars

I have online uni seminars this semester and I am super nervous about them. We have been put into small groups of 10 (but could be even less than that if people don't show up!). For a bit of background, I HATE speaking to strangers and I believe I have social anxiety, but im too anxious to actually go and speak to the GP about this, so its a never ending loop :P But, these seminars are really freaking me out and making me feel physically sick and that I could burst into tears just thinking about them (I know people might think that's an exaggeration, but its true and I can't physically control how my brain works and I really wish I could speak to people easily!!). Theres just so much uncertainty surrounding the seminars- will I have to turn my camera and mic on?? Will we have to feed back to a much larger group?? If anyone has had an online seminar, how did it go??
I honestly would much rather have had it in real life than online as I could at least just sit in the corner by myself haha, I wish I didn't have to attend but I don't think they're recorded so Im at a loss, and I don't know if I can cope with this 'anxiety' for this whole semester!
Original post by Anonymous
I have online uni seminars this semester and I am super nervous about them. We have been put into small groups of 10 (but could be even less than that if people don't show up!). For a bit of background, I HATE speaking to strangers and I believe I have social anxiety, but im too anxious to actually go and speak to the GP about this, so its a never ending loop :P But, these seminars are really freaking me out and making me feel physically sick and that I could burst into tears just thinking about them (I know people might think that's an exaggeration, but its true and I can't physically control how my brain works and I really wish I could speak to people easily!!). Theres just so much uncertainty surrounding the seminars- will I have to turn my camera and mic on?? Will we have to feed back to a much larger group?? If anyone has had an online seminar, how did it go??
I honestly would much rather have had it in real life than online as I could at least just sit in the corner by myself haha, I wish I didn't have to attend but I don't think they're recorded so Im at a loss, and I don't know if I can cope with this 'anxiety' for this whole semester!

It's the fear of the unknown. You'll likely feel a lot more settled after the first one. Are you able to talk to any of the other students beforehand? Do you have a group chat or anything? That might help if you are able to connect with a few before the seminars.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's the fear of the unknown. You'll likely feel a lot more settled after the first one. Are you able to talk to any of the other students beforehand? Do you have a group chat or anything? That might help if you are able to connect with a few before the seminars.

yeah, I hope so! and im in a course group chat but its only a set few people who talk- I've never seen anyone who's in my group speak in it (or not that I've noticed)! i only have one uni friend who ive personally spoke to, and she unfortunately isn't in my group but thank you for the advice :smile: . i just REALLY don't want to use a camera or mic in front of complete strangers hahaha. I honestly don't know if id rather have awkward silence or awkward small talk! I wish I had the confidence to speak to anyone with ease, but instead im spending all my time worrying about it which really sucks.
Original post by Anonymous
yeah, I hope so! and im in a course group chat but its only a set few people who talk- I've never seen anyone who's in my group speak in it (or not that I've noticed)! i only have one uni friend who ive personally spoke to, and she unfortunately isn't in my group but thank you for the advice :smile: . i just REALLY don't want to use a camera or mic in front of complete strangers hahaha. I honestly don't know if id rather have awkward silence or awkward small talk! I wish I had the confidence to speak to anyone with ease, but instead im spending all my time worrying about it which really sucks.

I completely get you, I'm exactly the same. There will be others feeling exactly like you. My job is all remote and I remember on the first day of training for it, I had to be on zoom with 40+ complete strangers. Luckily nobody had their cameras on but unmuting to talk for the first time was really nerve-wracking. But as I got to know the people a bit, we started messaging more in our group chat etc. it got easier and now after a long time I feel comfortable enough to start conversations whenever we're on zoom together. No cameras though (we just don't do that) but I can tell you as someone you is a flappy person and worries about everything, it gradually gets easier the more you do it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest