The Student Room Group

Which language is more useful for law?

I'm planning to learn a new language but I have no idea which one to dedicate my time to. Spanish would be easier for me since I'm Italian and they're very close. However, German sounds more beneficial and I feel like it would make me stand out since it's particularly difficult (?). I'm planning to study law so of course I must take into consideration which one is more useful for law firms.
I am assuming you already know how to speak english, so i would recommend you to learn french, as you speak Italian it will be easier than German.

That's just my opinion :smile:
You should always study the language and culture you're most interested in as you will be less likely to suffer lack of motivation. The most "useful" language of all is English and anyone in legal practice in the first world will have some grounding of English. Therefore, after that, you may as well learn what you want.

German is seen as a more "academic" language to learn than Spanish and will likely be more common on the legal scene in the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by pedrokabroka
I am assuming you already know how to speak english, so i would recommend you to learn french, as you speak Italian it will be easier than German.

That's just my opinion :smile:

Thank you for your reply! I'm fluent in French so I'm pretty sure I can tick it off the list ahaha. I hope it doesn't sound like I want to overwork myself but I just love learning languages :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride
You should always study the language and culture you're most interested in as you will be less likely to suffer lack of motivation. The most "useful" language of all is English and anyone in legal practice in the first world will have some grounding of English. Therefore, after that, you may as well learn what you want.

German is seen as a more "academic" language to learn than Spanish and will likely be more common on the legal scene in the UK.

Thank you. I would like to practice in the UK hopefully, so knowing that German's more common and academic than Spanish is really useful :smile:
French is good for law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending