The Student Room Group

Do you think I have a chance to get an offer for law at Oxford/Cambridge?

I am currently applying to UK universities for law as an international (EU) student. I decided on law quite recently (I wanted to do economics and politics before but realized law was more alligned with my interests). For this reason, I don't have supercurriculars directly related to law, and have not entered any essay competition. I have, however, quite a lot of supercurriculars more broadly related to law (debate tournaments, public speaking experiences, published articles,...) that I can put in my PS and good grades in the relevant subjects: 90% in English lit., 100% in English, 95% in History, 95% in Philosophy and 95% in French (I come from a pretty hard school system) and I have a genuine interest for law that I hope to be able to demonstrate in my PS, and, if I make that far, in my interview.

Do you think I have a chance of getting in any of the two universities, and if yes, which one do you think I have a better shot at? ( I don't have a preference between the Oxford course and the one at Cambridge, so I want to apply to the one I am more likely to get admitted to).

Also, I want to talk about my passion for areas of international law/ French law ( I am a native French speaker) if I apply to the Oxford Law with French law course.

Thank you for the answers!
Reply 1
Original post by lulupirpir
I am currently applying to UK universities for law as an international (EU) student. I decided on law quite recently (I wanted to do economics and politics before but realized law was more alligned with my interests). For this reason, I don't have supercurriculars directly related to law, and have not entered any essay competition. I have, however, quite a lot of supercurriculars more broadly related to law (debate tournaments, public speaking experiences, published articles,...) that I can put in my PS and good grades in the relevant subjects: 90% in English lit., 100% in English, 95% in History, 95% in Philosophy and 95% in French (I come from a pretty hard school system) and I have a genuine interest for law that I hope to be able to demonstrate in my PS, and, if I make that far, in my interview.

Do you think I have a chance of getting in any of the two universities, and if yes, which one do you think I have a better shot at? ( I don't have a preference between the Oxford course and the one at Cambridge, so I want to apply to the one I am more likely to get admitted to).

Also, I want to talk about my passion for areas of international law/ French law ( I am a native French speaker) if I apply to the Oxford Law with French law course.

Thank you for the answers!

definitely apply and see what happens. oxford grade boundaries for law are AAA which is the lowest they offer. cambridge is A*AA.

you can't really say which one you have a better shot at tbh but you would for sure have a very strong application to either with those grades and the supercurricular.

the supercurricular you have is related to law. what i would do now since you have already shown capability to debate and put together an argument is to gain some legal knowledge whether thats by reading books, listening to podcasts etcetc

you aren't expected to have done too much, just reading a book about law and providing your your critical analysis and thoughts about it in your PS would definitely be enough.

if you are a native speaker of french as well this is very useful as they will likely test your knowledge of the language.

good luck!! i reckon you have a very strong chance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending