The Student Room Group

Babysitting in personal statement

Should I write about how babysitting has given me skills in negotiation and persuasion in my PS or is that seen as unnecessary?
It depends what you are applying for. I wouldn't say it's a good example of negotiation anyways, more about responsibility skills and good management (situational) skills. How it's prepared you to tackle challenges in a calm and collaborative way, appealing to the younger people.
Original post by k317
Should I write about how babysitting has given me skills in negotiation and persuasion in my PS or is that seen as unnecessary?

Are you applying to an academic degree where a lack of evidence of negotiation and persuasion would be a problem?

Very few courses include any non academic filters on offers based on the PS.
Hi there,

I would say to definitely include babysitting in your personal statement if that's what you do - it does require you to have a lot of skills! You could mention that you negotiate times and pay with the parents, and how this helps your confidence. Or, you could talk about what you do to persuade the children you babysit that they should go to bed on time.

Personal statements are all about highlighting the best of YOU, so if your job is to babysit - talk about it! Babysitting enables you to develop many different skills; creativity, organisation etc. so it's a great talking point.

I hope that helps and gives you a boost of confidence - Good Luck in your PS writing!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending