The Student Room Group

Nursing Personal statements

I am applying to do a nursing degree at uni but I haven’t managed to get any work experience. Will this heavily affect my application or is there anything I can do to make up for it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bethany145
I am applying to do a nursing degree at uni but I haven’t managed to get any work experience. Will this heavily affect my application or is there anything I can do to make up for it.

I applied for architecture and didn’t have any personal experience and i still got accepted. Just do a lot of reading on the subject and show that you’re knowledgeable in relevant topics.
Original post by ffayz67
I applied for architecture and didn’t have any personal experience and i still got accepted. Just do a lot of reading on the subject and show that you’re knowledgeable in relevant topics.

Work experience does matter for healthcare courses.

Have you done any part-time work/volunteering in a public facing role (bar staff, cafe, charity shop, etc.)? If not, try and get something now so that you can add it you personal statement in time to submit by the January deadline.

Have you done anything like babysitting or looking after younger siblings?
Reply 5
Original post by sailhorsegirl
Have you done anything like babysitting or looking after younger siblings?

I don’t have any younger siblings and no I haven’t done any babysitting
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
Have you done any part-time work/volunteering in a public facing role (bar staff, cafe, charity shop, etc.)? If not, try and get something now so that you can add it you personal statement in time to submit by the January deadline.

I am currently volunteering at a charity shop but how can that help me in my personal statement when trying to relate it to healthcare?
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
Work experience does matter for healthcare courses.

Do you know anywhere I can do some work experience?
Reply 8
Original post by ffayz67

Thank you and yes I do have some books to help me
Reply 9
I'm honestly confused at the replies! I don't think it'll affect your application too much, I mean a lot of people who apply for nursing don't necessarily have the experience but do have the knowledge which is important.

In my personal statement I used my knowledge to show I knew what I was talking about so talking about the 6 C's and then I also used my A levels and said how each of them benefited me with gaining skills and knowledge for Nursing.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
Do you know anywhere I can do some work experience?

Care homes are usually the best bet. Tbh I would strongly recommend you do this anyway, even if you didn't need it for your application. I think it is essential to expose yourself to challenging situations, intimate care and patient contact before embarking on a medical or nursing degree - these are non-negotiable aspects of the profession, and if you don't like doing it in a voluntary capacity then it most definitely is not the right career for you.
I am currently volunteering at a charity shop but how can that help me in my personal statement when trying to relate it to healthcare?

Relate your volunteering experience to the NHS values and 6 Cs. For example: teamwork; respecting the views of team members and customers; communication with team members and customers; showing empathy, etc.
Reply 12
Original post by normaw

how could i relate that to a health/ medical course though??
Original post by ffhggnjy
how could i relate that to a health/ medical course though??

Because it's showing that you have the skills/qualities for dealing with patients and being part of a team (with others nurses, doctors, etc.)

Have a read through the advice on the following thread and look at the section for vocational subjects:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Idkhelplol
I'm honestly confused at the replies! I don't think it'll affect your application too much, I mean a lot of people who apply for nursing don't necessarily have the experience but do have the knowledge which is important.

In my personal statement I used my knowledge to show I knew what I was talking about so talking about the 6 C's and then I also used my A levels and said how each of them benefited me with gaining skills and knowledge for Nursing.

Thank you very much for this what are the 6 c ?
Reply 15
Original post by fedora34
Care homes are usually the best bet. Tbh I would strongly recommend you do this anyway, even if you didn't need it for your application. I think it is essential to expose yourself to challenging situations, intimate care and patient contact before embarking on a medical or nursing degree - these are non-negotiable aspects of the profession, and if you don't like doing it in a voluntary capacity then it most definitely is not the right career for you.

Thank you very much for this do you know of any that are currently accepting?
Reply 16
Original post by normaw
Relate your volunteering experience to the NHS values and 6 Cs. For example: teamwork; respecting the views of team members and customers; communication with team members and customers; showing empathy, etc.

Thank you so so so much for this will defiantly be using that thank you❤️❤️
Any experience you have can be used, as long as you relate it to relevant skills etc for nursing. Communication skills are a big one, for example.
For a lot of work experience you may need to be 18 and/or have a DBS check, which takes a few weeks, but see if you can find something - if you start before an interview you can talk about it then. Look at care homes/hospitals/day centres/schools, basically anything with people is good.
Thank you very much for this what are the 6 c ?

Someone already replied to this, but it's Care, Compassion, Courage, Competence, Communication, Commitment :smile:. The order doesn't matter the 6 C's are qualities nurses must have and follow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending