The Student Room Group

Leaving the Big 4 after just 9 months - options?

Hi guys, need your advice.

Im considering leaving the big 4 to focus on something private/personal (not much more info I can give sorry) for 6 months and just wanted to know two things

1. If I leave the big 4, how easy would it be to get back into the big 4 after the 6 month break? Would firms look down on my application

2. If i were to rejoin an accounting firm, would I be able to continue the ACA from where I left off as I have already passed some certificate level exams.

Please let me know guys!

Btw im working in Audit!
(edited 3 years ago)
You probably can pick up your studies fairly easily again. I think you may struggle to find a new position, 9 months isn't a long time to build up a level of experience that would get you any further than restarting on a new graduate scheme I'd say.
Reply 2
Original post by KaptainCliff
You probably can pick up your studies fairly easily again. I think you may struggle to find a new position, 9 months isn't a long time to build up a level of experience that would get you any further than restarting on a new graduate scheme I'd say.

Yeah I know its not a lot of experience and im not looking forward to those online applications again.

So if I were to get another grad scheme are you saying its likely that my firm would be willing to give me a contract where I wouldnt have to resit the same exams?
Original post by Rtdsv

Im considering leaving the big 4 to focus on something private/personal (not much more info I can give sorry) for 6 months and just wanted to know two things

1. If I leave the big 4, how easy would it be to get back into the big 4 after the 6 month break? Would firms look down on my application

2. If i were to rejoin an accounting firm, would I be able to continue the ACA from where I left off as I have already passed some certificate level exams.

Please let me know guys!

Btw im working in Audit!

Depending on your firm and their attitude (and staffing, how well you get on with your partner group etc) you may be able to take six months unpaid - it's unlikely but if the alternative is you leaving they may be open to it.
Reply 4
Original post by natninja
Depending on your firm and their attitude (and staffing, how well you get on with your partner group etc) you may be able to take six months unpaid - it's unlikely but if the alternative is you leaving they may be open to it.

6 months unpaid leave would be perfect for me. I have caring responsibilities for my mother who suffers from several conditions. The only thing I could find regarding leave is maternity, paternity and leave caring for children.
Reply 5
You should ask about unpaid leave in the circumstances. It may not be easy to pick up another big accounting firm contract once you've left one.
Original post by Rtdsv

Please let me know guys!

Btw im working in Audit!

My best firend did this. They kicked him out after failing his exams. He moved to a smaller audit company. McIntry Hudson or sth like that. Give them a try. And smaller companies in general. He was much happier and better paid there
Reply 7
Original post by Nazaniel11
My best firend did this. They kicked him out after failing his exams. He moved to a smaller audit company. McIntry Hudson or sth like that. Give them a try. And smaller companies in general. He was much happier and better paid there

After just failing one exam? The policy at my firm is that you're nicked out after failing the same exam twice and three times for advanced exams
Reply 8
Original post by Rtdsv

Please let me know guys!

Btw im working in Audit!

You can pick up your studies again, that shouldn't be an issue. As for rejoining, you'd need to go through the process again unless you take a sabbatical which most B4 offer. I'm not sure if you qualify with only nine months of service but it may be worth asking your development coach (or whatever they're called at your firm)?

If you can, at least wait until you have the CFAB portion complete. It'll be much more beneficial than leaving part way between that IMO.

Edit: Just saw it is to leave to help care for your mother. Talk to your DL or Partner or whomever you need and they'll hopefully accommodate. I know someone who did similar after a year at PwC, they took unpaid leave and returned to pick up where they left off. They had completed the first level exams prior though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rtdsv
6 months unpaid leave would be perfect for me. I have caring responsibilities for my mother who suffers from several conditions. The only thing I could find regarding leave is maternity, paternity and leave caring for children.

Given the circumstances it sounds like it is definitely worth asking - they've invested in you for a year so if you've been performing decently they won't want to let you go (and if they have sense build up some goodwill with you to help retention when you do qualify).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending