The Student Room Group

Is NCS a good sixth form?

I’m quite stuck on what sixth form to go to after gcses and one I’ve found and been quite interested in was newham collegiate sixth form. I thought it was a really good sixth form until I came across some bad reviews about the workload and too much homework with no revision time. I would want to go to this school but for A-levels I feel like I would need all the support and I’ve seen people say that teachers are very strict and that they don’t fully support students with revision. If anyone has gone to this sixth form I would want to know their opinions about it and whether it is a good school to go to.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
reviews or other people's experiences won't help as much as if you attended it yourself. Everyone is different.
The best advice for this is to enroll in both then do a couple of days in each sixth form then make a decision.
Reply 2
Original post by _wahida
I’m quite stuck on what sixth form to go to after gcses and one I’ve found and been quite interested in was newham collegiate sixth form. I thought it was a really good sixth form until I came across some bad reviews about the workload and too much homework with no revision time. I would want to go to this school but for A-levels I feel like I would need all the support and I’ve seen people say that teachers are very strict and that they don’t fully support students with revision. If anyone has gone to this sixth form I would want to know their opinions about it and whether it is a good school to go to.

Yes NCS will give you more homework than the average sixth form. You will still have time to revise, if you are organised and can manage your time. Sounds quite hard? But that's the reason why so many students get high grades at NCS. It's because they sacrifice some time to secure those high grades.

But this depends on the students. Every student is unique and needs to pick an environment in which they feel their best. Some students would prefer a competitive environment like the NCS, however some students may not, yet both students may be brilliant students. You need to look around at different sixth forms and find out their teaching style etc and which environment you would prefer. If you have more specific questions about the NCS feel free to ask me. I'm currently studying at the NCS in year 13.
Reply 3
Original post by Jaan_7
Yes NCS will give you more homework than the average sixth form. You will still have time to revise, if you are organised and can manage your time. Sounds quite hard? But that's the reason why so many students get high grades at NCS. It's because they sacrifice some time to secure those high grades.

But this depends on the students. Every student is unique and needs to pick an environment in which they feel their best. Some students would prefer a competitive environment like the NCS, however some students may not, yet both students may be brilliant students. You need to look around at different sixth forms and find out their teaching style etc and which environment you would prefer. If you have more specific questions about the NCS feel free to ask me. I'm currently studying at the NCS in year 13.

Okay, thank you for that.

I do have a few more questions about NCS as a sixth form. What is the mobile phone policy like? Can you leave the sixth form during free periods and lunch?

Also for the personal statements to apply to the school, will it have a major part into whether we get accepted or do they focus on grades and other factors more?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jaan_7

Thank god i found this post, ive been having so many questions even though i went to the open evening which was barely helpful
1) is the personal statement really influential with your application
2) what do the points mean cause on the 2022-2023 entry requirements it says you need a minimum of 62 points from your best 8 GCSEs, i thought it mean each grade was a point so a 9 was 9 points, and if what im saying is true then it will be quite hard to get into NCS, in my case i need two 9s, two 8s, four 7s to get 62 points
3) how early can you drop your 4th subject, one of the new yr 12s told me that she could drop it within 3 months of joining NCS but i thought u drop it after a year, i ask this question as imo 4 a levels in a waste of time as unis only ask for 3 a levels but they have to be strong grades. Im hoping to drop it within a months of joining since doing a 4th that i dont even like will add stress for no reason and it will reduce my other grades since i will spend less time on them
4) how are the economics, maths and history department as these will be my 3 a levels and i will hopefully drop Politics as my fourth a level.
5) what did you get in your gcses to get into NCS and btw im assuming you did the 2021 gcses so please correct me if im wrong here.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions
Reply 5
Original post by Jaan_7

I’m sooo glad i found this post. Basically what everyone else asked and ALSO how big are class sizes?/ what’s the common room like?/ what is the policy surrounding mobiles?/ was it hard to make friends?/ what’s the atmosphere like?/ is there an outside ground (from what i saw, i don’t think there is(?)

also how are the teachers and students
I am thinking of going to one of the other branches of NCS in north London
Original post by _wahida
Okay, thank you for that.

I do have a few more questions about NCS as a sixth form. What is the mobile phone policy like? Can you leave the sixth form during free periods and lunch?

Also for the personal statements to apply to the school, will it have a major part into whether we get accepted or do they focus on grades and other factors more?

The phone policy is that you cannot use them during class/in the school hall, but you can use it break and lunch time when you are outside of the school building. We do not have free periods, we have "private study" where they take register and you have to be there to study independently, no mobile phones to be used there unless music. You can leave the sixth form during lunch to eat not break time tho. For the application, everything plays a role but I think the grades more, I am not sure with that.

Original post by rayhxn97
Thank god i found this post, ive been having so many questions even though i went to the open evening which was barely helpful
1) is the personal statement really influential with your application
2) what do the points mean cause on the 2022-2023 entry requirements it says you need a minimum of 62 points from your best 8 GCSEs, i thought it mean each grade was a point so a 9 was 9 points, and if what im saying is true then it will be quite hard to get into NCS, in my case i need two 9s, two 8s, four 7s to get 62 points
3) how early can you drop your 4th subject, one of the new yr 12s told me that she could drop it within 3 months of joining NCS but i thought u drop it after a year, i ask this question as imo 4 a levels in a waste of time as unis only ask for 3 a levels but they have to be strong grades. Im hoping to drop it within a months of joining since doing a 4th that i dont even like will add stress for no reason and it will reduce my other grades since i will spend less time on them
4) how are the economics, maths and history department as these will be my 3 a levels and i will hopefully drop Politics as my fourth a level.
5) what did you get in your gcses to get into NCS and btw im assuming you did the 2021 gcses so please correct me if im wrong here.
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions

1) it can help them understand how you are and if you are suited to be working in the NCS environment
2) The points mean when you get ur GCSE results you add the scores up such as 8+8+9+9+9+7..etc for the best 8 GCSEs. What you said is correct but then each subject have their own grade that you need in order to do it. For example, if you get many 7s and you have 62 points, but you need like 8 in Maths to do that.
3) You can drop in January or anytime near Christmas holidays
4)They are very excellent !!!
5) 9999999887

Original post by NidPai
I’m sooo glad i found this post. Basically what everyone else asked and ALSO how big are class sizes?/ what’s the common room like?/ what is the policy surrounding mobiles?/ was it hard to make friends?/ what’s the atmosphere like?/ is there an outside ground (from what i saw, i don’t think there is(?)

also how are the teachers and students

The classes are about 20 but it depends on the subject, the STEM tend to be alot of people, the rooms are nice and clean, mobile only break and lunch but not inside school building, the atmosphere is friendly but challenging at the same time, outside ground is outside the door of the school :smile:

Original post by Newbie68
I am thinking of going to one of the other branches of NCS in north London

Good luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jihoooo
The phone policy is that you cannot use them during class/in the school hall, but you can use it break and lunch time when you are outside of the school building. We do not have free periods, we have "private study" where they take register and you have to be there to study independently, no mobile phones to be used there unless music. You can leave the sixth form during lunch to eat not break time tho. For the application, everything plays a role but I think the grades more, I am not sure with that.

1) it can help them understand how you are and if you are suited to be working in the NCS environment
2) The points mean when you get ur GCSE results you add the scores up such as 8+8+9+9+9+7..etc for the best 8 GCSEs. What you said is correct but then each subject have their own grade that you need in order to do that. For example, if you get many 7s and you have 62 points, but you need like 8 in Maths to do that.
3) You can drop in January or anytime near Christmas holidays
4)They are very excellent !!!
5) 9999999887

The classes are about 20 but it depends on the subject, the STEM tend to be alot of people, the rooms are nice and clean, mobile only break and lunch but not inside school building, the atmosphere is friendly but challenging at the same time, outside ground is outside the door of the school :smile:

Good luck :smile:

Do you know the differences between NCS and HCS/ICS? Apparently they follow the same curriculum but the vibe is a little different. Do you know?
Original post by Newbie68
Do you know the differences between NCS and HCS/ICS? Apparently they follow the same curriculum but the vibe is a little different. Do you know?

HCS/ICS has more subjects and I think also different grade requirements which idk what they are.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Jaan_7

Hiya,

Im planning on going here! Just a couple questions:

1.) I really want to get a job during sixthform, would this be feasible at the NCS and do other kids do it?

2.) what is the population like? I’ve heard there’s a lot of south asians (I am too) but other than that, did you make friends easily?
Original post by Jaan_7

So I start sixth form next year would you recommend me to start revising next yr summer or no? Also is NCS worth it and is it true they kick you out if you don’t reach a A* standard
Reply 12
Original post by NidPai
Hiya,

Im planning on going here! Just a couple questions:

1.) I really want to get a job during sixthform, would this be feasible at the NCS and do other kids do it?

2.) what is the population like? I’ve heard there’s a lot of south asians (I am too) but other than that, did you make friends easily?

Hiii sorry late response, I’ll answer for you:

1) it is feasible if you can have a good work-life balance, my friend does teach tuition every 2 days weekly! but many people avoid it or give up later in the year when it is closer to exams for example!

2) yes there is a lot of south Asians! Everyone is friendly and in the beginning of the year we do various tasks to get to know each other and make friends!

Original post by Academiccvali
So I start sixth form next year would you recommend me to start revising next yr summer or no? Also is NCS worth it and is it true they kick you out if you don’t reach a A* standard

For me personally, I didn’t revise in the summer! They give you the bridging tasks to do and you can do as much as you like, but I recommend focus more on enjoying since it’s after your GCSEs :smile: and you deserve that break! Lastly, no one is kicking you! it’s more like NCS knows what’s best for you, and there is always teachers you can talk to, especially if something is bothering you! You will learn to reach that standard along the way but you need compliance and they will help you to do so! If you still don’t follow because of laziness for example, it’s only harming you!
Reply 13
Original post by Jihoooo
Hiii sorry late response, I’ll answer for you:

1) it is feasible if you can have a good work-life balance, my friend does teach tuition every 2 days weekly! but many people avoid it or give up later in the year when it is closer to exams for example!

2) yes there is a lot of south Asians! Everyone is friendly and in the beginning of the year we do various tasks to get to know each other and make friends!

For me personally, I didn’t revise in the summer! They give you the bridging tasks to do and you can do as much as you like, but I recommend focus more on enjoying since it’s after your GCSEs :smile: and you deserve that break! Lastly, no one is kicking you! it’s more like NCS knows what’s best for you, and there is always teachers you can talk to, especially if something is bothering you! You will learn to reach that standard along the way but you need compliance and they will help you to do so! If you still don’t follow because of laziness for example, it’s only harming you!

hi, thank you so much for answering the questions!
i'm struggling between Brampton Manor and NCS because i didn't get to go to the open days but i also had a few questions if its okay : )

1) because you get asked to take 4 a levels (i chose bio chem maths and geography), would i be able to drop geography before year 13? like is that an option available to everyone at NCS?
2) also which would you recommend between brampton and ncs?
3) how does enrolment work? as in the process?
4) what does a day at NCS look like? do you get free study sessions or is it all solid lessons? what are lessons like? (as in are they like secondary school lessons or is it more they talk at you and you have to rely on yourself to take notes and find work to do?)
5) are there actually assemblies in the middle of the day? and is the day really long?
6) what is the 'intervention/enrichment' on the timetable on the website for period 6?
7) how often do you have mocks/tests?
8) how many chances/are there any chances for trips? if so what?
thank you sorry there are so many questions! 😅
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Inaaya.A
hi, thank you so much for answering the questions!
i'm struggling between Brampton Manor and NCS because i didn't get to go to the open days but i also had a few questions if its okay : )

1) because you get asked to take 4 a levels (i chose bio chem maths and geography), would i be able to drop geography before year 13? like is that an option available to everyone at NCS?
2) also which would you recommend between brampton and ncs?
3) how does enrolment work? as in the process?
4) what does a day at NCS look like? do you get free study sessions or is it all solid lessons? what are lessons like? (as in are they like secondary school lessons or is it more they talk at you and you have to rely on yourself to take notes and find work to do?)
5) are there actually assemblies in the middle of the day? and is the day really long?
6) what is the 'intervention/enrichment' on the timetable on the website for period 6?
7) how often do you have mocks/tests?
8) how many chances/are there any chances for trips? if so what?
thank you sorry there are so many questions! 😅

1) Yes, you can drop it around December/January of Year 12! also some time in between or near end of year 12 :smile:
2)This is subjective - I don't have any experience nor been to Brampton open days so I can't say much about it.
3) You apply online and the process is the same as any other college/sixth form, aswell as it requires a short personal statement. Typically, on results day you go there with your results, and there would be helpers to guide you and you get admitted.
4/5) Depending on the subject, we have a variety of independent/in pairs exercises. We utilise iPads, which contain the slides and allow us to take notes:smile: It runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., but you may eat outside for lunchtime! On Fridays, however, it is shortened until 12:50, and we have form from Monday to Tuesday. In year 13, you get home study and can leave home sooner (depending on your grades/attendance). We have scheduled private study time - for year 12, it should be about twice a week, but when you drop a subject, you get additional individual study time... We didn't have many assemblies unless you signed up for talks, which usually took place after school...
6) Intervention means just an extra lesson for a subject to help you improve grades. Enrichment is basically sports like badminton/basketball/music etc..
7)Roughly every two months (teacher marked) but we always get challenged/tested in class but with self/peer marking
8) Chances of trips are totally dependent on the subject. For example, with Geography there is fieldworks, Biology we go to forests, Politics we go to Parliament, Psychology we go to mental health museums etc...
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Jihoooo
1) Yes, you can drop it around December/January of Year 12! also some time in between or near end of year 12 :smile:
2)This is subjective - I don't have any experience nor been to Brampton open days so I can't say much about it.
3) You apply online and the process is the same as any other college/sixth form, aswell as it requires a short personal statement. Typically, on results day you go there with your results, and there would be helpers to guide you and you get admitted.
4/5) Depending on the subject, we have a variety of independent/in pairs exercises. We utilise iPads, which contain the slides and allow us to take notes:smile: It runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., but you may eat outside for lunchtime! On Fridays, however, it is shortened until 12:50, and we have form from Monday to Tuesday. In year 13, you get home study and can leave home sooner (depending on your grades/attendance). We have scheduled private study time - for year 12, it should be about twice a week, but when you drop a subject, you get additional individual study time... We didn't have many assemblies unless you signed up for talks, which usually took place after school...
6) Intervention means just an extra lesson for a subject to help you improve grades. Enrichment is basically sports like badminton/basketball/music etc..
7)Roughly every two months (teacher marked) but we always get challenged/tested in class but with self/peer marking
8) Chances of trips are totally dependent on the subject. For example, with Geography there is fieldworks, Biology we go to forests, Politics we go to Parliament, Psychology we go to mental health museums etc...

thank you so so much this is really helpful! :smile:
Reply 16
Hi there,
How are the social events at NCS, Ik BMA does many but I am unsure of NCS
Also Does NCS have extracurriculars like chess, debate or football
Thank you!
Reply 17
Original post by tasnim001
Hi there,
How are the social events at NCS, Ik BMA does many but I am unsure of NCS
Also Does NCS have extracurriculars like chess, debate or football
Thank you!

There are a few social events here and there organised by the student committee.

Yes they have extra curricular such as chess and debate clubs.

They have a few sports clubs after-school but they aren't too serious so there's not much emphasis on sports clubs. However, they still have it so it's still an option.
Reply 18
Original post by Jaan_7
There are a few social events here and there organised by the student committee.

Yes they have extra curricular such as chess and debate clubs.

They have a few sports clubs after-school but they aren't too serious so there's not much emphasis on sports clubs. However, they still have it so it's still an option.

do ppl actually go to the sports clubss?
is there competition w other skls n stuff for debate n whatnot
what are the social events specifically? also if a group of students recommend an event will it happen?
Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Reply 19
Original post by tasnim001
do ppl actually go to the sports clubss?
is there competition w other skls n stuff for debate n whatnot
what are the social events specifically? also if a group of students recommend an event will it happen?
Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Some people do go to the sports clubs. It depends on the people in your year group. Although, sports isn't a big thing at the ncs if that's what your looking for.

In terms of competition with debates - yeah I think there is some public speaking competitions because I've seen a few students go compete with other colleges and win.

In terms of social events - we had like some event in autumn so there was music food dancing and stuff. They might do like 2 in a year. You have sports day at the end of the year as well. Prom at the end of year 13.

If a group of students recommend an event they can pass it onto whoever the student committee is and if enough people want to attend it will most likely take place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending