The Student Room Group

Microbiology graduate to Trainee Biomedical Scientist?

I am a final year BSc Microbiology (with placement year) student,

I would love to get into clinical microbiology and i have been looking at all the options, i've applied to the STP (although it does seem a lot of masters/PhD applicants). However, if i wanted to pursue a biomedical scientist route. Any of the trainee biomedical scientist roles i have looked at request a HCPC accredited degree, which mine is not. Has anyone else transitioned into biomedical scientist roles without the accredited degree?

Can i still apply for trainee positions?

Hopefully someone has experience with this! :smile:
You've become mixed up in terminology.

Is your degree accredited by the IBMS?
Hi, no it is not! I was reading on the IBMS website how you can apply to have your degree assessed, to see if you need to take top up modules? But those top up modules, when do you take them? While completing the training programme ?
Gaining your registration isn't a training program. It's more of a portfolio. It's not like signing up to a course and completing it.

You need to have your degree assessed first, and if they recommend top-up modules they will give you a list of modules and providers.

If I was you, I would try and be working as a Band 2 MLA whilst doing the top-up modules in your spare time. Position yourself in a laboratory with a history of progressing MLA's into training positions and then into qualified Biomedical Scientist positions. That way, by the time you have completed your top-up modules, if a trainee position comes up at your work then you'll have some experience in the NHS and you won't be a newbie at that laboratory. There is usually a theoretical waiting list, but I have seen people jump it. I.e the MLA that's been there 8 years and is in a position to take a trainee position usually gets it over the newbie, but I have seen exceptions to the rule where the newer staff member just smashed it on the interview day and the person that had been there longer had an off day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending