The Student Room Group

How to become a biomedical scientist?

I am studying biomedical science at university and it is IBMS accredited. Some people have told me to become a biomed scientist, you have to have experience in a lab as a MLA preferably NHS. Then be HCPC registered and then become a biomedical scientist. I have no experience in a lab. However, some people have said to apply for ibms approved lab based jobs or is that training for a biomed scientist after doing a MLA? Is MLA the only route in becoming a biomedical scientist?
Reply 1
Original post by Z_S
I am studying biomedical science at university and it is IBMS accredited. Some people have told me to become a biomed scientist, you have to have experience in a lab as a MLA preferably NHS. Then be HCPC registered and then become a biomedical scientist. I have no experience in a lab. However, some people have said to apply for ibms approved lab based jobs or is that training for a biomed scientist after doing a MLA? Is MLA the only route in becoming a biomedical scientist?

There are various routes into biomedical science jobs, but I think for those studying the course, this usually requires a year-long placement at an approved lab or the NHS. This is to build up your portfolio and gain enough experience to be registered with HCPC, to work as a 'biomedical scientist'. Some courses do offer lab placement in the final year of your degree. If not, after graduation, you would have to search for trainee biomedical scientist roles that provide on-the-job training for you to complete the portfolio and apply for HCPC registration. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Where can I apply for trainee biomedical scientist roles?
Reply 3
Original post by Z_S
Where can I apply for trainee biomedical scientist roles?

You can try searching on the NHS jobs website. https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/candidate
Jobs may also be posted on LinkedIn or Indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending