The Student Room Group

Theatre Arts CofHE foundation year at East 15

Im looking for others who are gonna be on this course at the southend campus starting 2021!
Reply 1
Original post by LivCowap
Im looking for others who are gonna be on this course at the southend campus starting 2021!
Found this old thread and would love to know how the foundation year worked out and what you did next? My daughter got an offer from East 15 for a foundation today. She's still waiting to hear back from 3 BA courses but if she doesnt get offered any I'm wondering if the foundation is worth it or not. Welcome hearing your experiences!
Reply 2
My daughter is currently on the Foundation at East 15 (Southend campus). She's thoroughly enjoyed herself so far and it's opened her mind to other Acting courses, they try a bit of everything. She was previously fixated on a straight Acting BA but now her preferred course would be a BA Acting & Community Theatre. Without doing the Foundation she would never have experienced this. She's currently going through the audition process and has applied to most of the usual suspects and has so far got a recall to RB, 1st round at Central towards the end of March and waiting to hear from GSA (was offered Foundation last year but opted for East 15) and Guildhall. She's also had her East 15 audition this week which now would be her 1st choice! Should just mention, those on a Foundation at East 15 go straight through to the 2nd round, no self tapes.
So to summarise, she would say her Foundation experience has been really worthwhile. It's given her a chance to find out what she really enjoys, it's enabled her to speak to students on BA's (she's in a flat with a mixture of Foundation and BA students) to find out what worked for them and perhaps most importantly it's proved to herself that this is what she wants to do as a career without having to commit to a 3 year course initially. Don't get me wrong, if she'd been offered a BA last year she would have jumped at it but the Foundation has worked out well, apart from another year of debt!

Sorry if I've waffled on a bit but being in your situation last year I know how you are feeling. We thought Foundation courses were a bit of a payday for the Uni's, this still might be the case, but our daughter has had a great year so far and fingers crossed she gets onto a BA. Good luck to you and your daughter, this Acting malarkey is hell of a ride!
Feel free to ask anymore questions
Original post by westy934
My daughter is currently on the Foundation at East 15 (Southend campus). She's thoroughly enjoyed herself so far and it's opened her mind to other Acting courses, they try a bit of everything. She was previously fixated on a straight Acting BA but now her preferred course would be a BA Acting & Community Theatre. Without doing the Foundation she would never have experienced this. She's currently going through the audition process and has applied to most of the usual suspects and has so far got a recall to RB, 1st round at Central towards the end of March and waiting to hear from GSA (was offered Foundation last year but opted for East 15) and Guildhall. She's also had her East 15 audition this week which now would be her 1st choice! Should just mention, those on a Foundation at East 15 go straight through to the 2nd round, no self tapes.
So to summarise, she would say her Foundation experience has been really worthwhile. It's given her a chance to find out what she really enjoys, it's enabled her to speak to students on BA's (she's in a flat with a mixture of Foundation and BA students) to find out what worked for them and perhaps most importantly it's proved to herself that this is what she wants to do as a career without having to commit to a 3 year course initially. Don't get me wrong, if she'd been offered a BA last year she would have jumped at it but the Foundation has worked out well, apart from another year of debt!

Sorry if I've waffled on a bit but being in your situation last year I know how you are feeling. We thought Foundation courses were a bit of a payday for the Uni's, this still might be the case, but our daughter has had a great year so far and fingers crossed she gets onto a BA. Good luck to you and your daughter, this Acting malarkey is hell of a ride!
Feel free to ask anymore questions
Thank you SO much for commenting, that's really given me something positive to think about.

Like you I do think committing to 1 year and making sure it's the right thing could be an unexpected silver lining to no BA offers if it came to it.

I'm so pleased it's working out well for your daughter (must be huge relief to you mumma) and I wish her all the best with her current auditions.
hey,

if anyone studying at the Southend campus needs contraception, morning after pill, STI testing, STI treatment, PrEP, PEP, or pregnancy testing, you can visit Brook Southend -- it's on the first floor of The Victoria Shopping Centre, in the high street. it's free for everyone living, working or studying in Southend, including uni students and regardless of immigration status.

you can call them on 0330 135 5916, book online at sxt.health/uk, or visit their website at sexualhealthsouthend.co.uk.any questions and you can use the webchat service on their website, available during the week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending