The Student Room Group

Lipa 2024

Hello! I'm going to be studying theatre and design at LIPA in September and was just curious if there's anyone else here going to LIPA, even more so anyone on the same course! Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mbainger
Hello! I'm going to be studying theatre and design at LIPA in September and was just curious if there's anyone else here going to LIPA, even more so anyone on the same course! Thank you :smile:
Hi! I’m currently trying to decide which place I like the most but i’m leaning towards the Theatre and Production Technology course at LIPA. What was the deciding factor for you to choose LIPA? Plus it’s nice to find other people doing similar courses on here :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Fizzle991
Hi! I’m currently trying to decide which place I like the most but i’m leaning towards the Theatre and Production Technology course at LIPA. What was the deciding factor for you to choose LIPA? Plus it’s nice to find other people doing similar courses on here :smile:
For me the deciding factors for LIPA were for a few reasons I think - obviously the facilities are absolutely amazing there (I don't know if you've had a tour or not, but they're great), plus it's a relatively small university which is much better for me! Other than that I just thought it'd be pretty good because I can dabble in everything (set, costume, lighting/sound/tech, everything) and overall I just really liked it lol. Definitely nice to meet people potentially on a similar course, I know the production design and theatre design are quite closely linked!
For me the deciding factors for LIPA were for a few reasons I think - obviously the facilities are absolutely amazing there (I don't know if you've had a tour or not, but they're great), plus it's a relatively small university which is much better for me! Other than that I just thought it'd be pretty good because I can dabble in everything (set, costume, lighting/sound/tech, everything) and overall I just really liked it lol. Definitely nice to meet people potentially on a similar course, I know the production design and theatre design are quite closely linked!
That’s really useful to hear! I have been on a tour and the facilities were incredible and the fact you can try out multiple different elements before narrowing your focus definitely appeals. Defo think i’m leaning heavily towards LIPA now. I also agree it’s nice to meet people potentially on a similar course - the fact the design and technology students work so closely is epic :smile:
Reply 4
hey i’m starting there too in september on the same course!! :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by dizzjh
hey i’m starting there too in september on the same course!! :smile:)
Oh awesome! If you want I'd be happy to pm and we can talk more about it all?
Reply 6
Done! Sent you a message request :smile:
Reply 7
Heya! I'm also starting at LIPA, although I'm looking at doing the Sound Tech course!
Reply 8
Original post by Jamb0y
Heya! I'm also starting at LIPA, although I'm looking at doing the Sound Tech course!
Oh cool! Where are you coming from?
Reply 9
Original post by Jamb0y

Ooh same!! I'm currently still deciding on where to go but Lipa is definitely one of my first choices for sound tech in september.
Reply 10
Hey!

Sorry to hijack your thread a little but I'm currently at LIPA as TPT student (3rd year, about to graduate!) - I've got a fair few friends on the design course too. Let me know if you've got any questions or anything :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by k_smic
Hey!
Sorry to hijack your thread a little but I'm currently at LIPA as TPT student (3rd year, about to graduate!) - I've got a fair few friends on the design course too. Let me know if you've got any questions or anything :biggrin:

Okay idk why it didn't go through (or it did but I can't see it) but hello, thank you so much!! I don't have any specific questions ATM, mainly just if you have any general tips for things that are quite helpful to know in the first year at LIPA generally and also on the course specifically
Hello, I’m on reserve list for LIPA for theatre design and wondered if anyone knows what the likelihood of getting an offer is? I have other offers but it was my first choice and would still really like to attend.
Reply 13
Okay idk why it didn't go through (or it did but I can't see it) but hello, thank you so much!! I don't have any specific questions ATM, mainly just if you have any general tips for things that are quite helpful to know in the first year at LIPA generally and also on the course specifically

Hi! Sorry for the delayed reply!

I'd say one of the big things you need to be aware of is that, once you get into shows, you'll be doing odd hours and probably weekends as well. You could be doing like, 5pm until 1am painting or something, it can get really weird hours wise.

Also, if they give you an equipment list you should follow it. Lots of people I know (most of who were designers) didn't buy some of the tools recommended because they thought they wouldn't need them, but then when they got onto shows it turned out that they did and it slowed everything down. Can't count how many times I've had to lend out my tools to people now honestly.

One big final bit of advice i'd give is, and the tutors WILL stress this a lot, do not be afraid to participate and get involved around LIPA. There's always something going on, like a gig or a quiz or a play someone's putting on. Even if you're not working on it, its good to just go and attend to see what it's like and be social.

Hope all goes well for you!
Reply 14
Original post by k_smic
Hi! Sorry for the delayed reply!
I'd say one of the big things you need to be aware of is that, once you get into shows, you'll be doing odd hours and probably weekends as well. You could be doing like, 5pm until 1am painting or something, it can get really weird hours wise.
Also, if they give you an equipment list you should follow it. Lots of people I know (most of who were designers) didn't buy some of the tools recommended because they thought they wouldn't need them, but then when they got onto shows it turned out that they did and it slowed everything down. Can't count how many times I've had to lend out my tools to people now honestly.
One big final bit of advice i'd give is, and the tutors WILL stress this a lot, do not be afraid to participate and get involved around LIPA. There's always something going on, like a gig or a quiz or a play someone's putting on. Even if you're not working on it, its good to just go and attend to see what it's like and be social.
Hope all goes well for you!

Hello! Don't worry about the delayed reply haha :smile:

Okay that's very very helpful thank you, especially knowing about the fact that equipment lists are actually a good thing to follow (because my parents are telling me they probably won't give me an equipment list, but it's very helpful to know that if I do get one, it's good to actually use it as opposed to school where it's an unnecessary list)

I will definitely do my best to get involved as much as possible in amongst all the odd working hours you mentioned, but this is honestly all so helpful thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Hello! Don't worry about the delayed reply haha :smile:
Okay that's very very helpful thank you, especially knowing about the fact that equipment lists are actually a good thing to follow (because my parents are telling me they probably won't give me an equipment list, but it's very helpful to know that if I do get one, it's good to actually use it as opposed to school where it's an unnecessary list)
I will definitely do my best to get involved as much as possible in amongst all the odd working hours you mentioned, but this is honestly all so helpful thank you :smile:

When I started they gave me a 3 page long equipment list if I remember rightly? To my knowledge they've shortened it now, but there's only one thing that I bought that I haven't used during my time at LIPA (and they've taken that item off now I think?)

The most important stuff they'll tell you to buy will be your safety equipment honestly, the steel toed boots and gloves and such. I don't know how you identify but I can tell you from experience, if you're female identifying or have smaller hands, purchase sailing gloves rather than rigging gloves. Women's rigging gloves are so expensive and are honestly less durable than sailing gloves.
Reply 16
Oh cool! Where are you coming from?

Heya! Sorry it’s been a while, I’ve been busy. I’m coming from Lincolnshire!
Reply 17
Original post by Jmarx
Ooh same!! I'm currently still deciding on where to go but Lipa is definitely one of my first choices for sound tech in september.

Awesome! Where else are you considering?
Reply 18
Original post by Jamb0y
Heya! Sorry it’s been a while, I’ve been busy. I’m coming from Lincolnshire!

It's alright! That's pretty cool, I'm coming from Northamptonshire. Did you decide if you're gonna do sound tech or no?
Reply 19
Original post by k_smic
When I started they gave me a 3 page long equipment list if I remember rightly? To my knowledge they've shortened it now, but there's only one thing that I bought that I haven't used during my time at LIPA (and they've taken that item off now I think?)
The most important stuff they'll tell you to buy will be your safety equipment honestly, the steel toed boots and gloves and such. I don't know how you identify but I can tell you from experience, if you're female identifying or have smaller hands, purchase sailing gloves rather than rigging gloves. Women's rigging gloves are so expensive and are honestly less durable than sailing gloves.

This is so helpful to know thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending