The Student Room Group

ARE FOUNDATION COURSES (cert he) IN ACTING WORTH IT?

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me as I am considering auditioning for LAMDA’s cert he foundation course starting in October and running for 6 months and wondered if anyone who acts or who has done foundation courses think this is worth it?

I know ArtsEd, Conti, Guildford, Mountview and East15 do these CERT HE courses aswell so if anyone has done them also it would be great on your opinion and experience doing the course and if you think its worth it.

I don’t plan on doing a 3 year BA Acting course as it’s too lengthy and time consuming for my liking and thought a 6 month funded course would be a better alternative?

Is it worth it? Does it help get you into the industry? Can you get an agent after it? Is it not worth it and better doing normal paid London classes and trying to find auditions yourself?

Any advice and tips would be great.
(edited 1 month ago)
The Cert Ed courses (previously known as Foundation courses) are aimed at those who have talent but are not yet ready for the full degree course. They will help you to prepare for drama school auditions and give you that extra experience. They are not designed to prepare you to enter the industry and you don't get an agent showcase. I'm also fairly sure thatthey don't entitle you to Spotlight/Equity membership either.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by welcometotherock
The Cert Ed courses (previously known as Foundation courses) are aimed at those who have talent but are not yet ready for the full degree course. They will help you to prepare for drama school auditions and give you that extra experience. They are not designed to prepare you to enter the industry and you don't get an agent showcase. I'm also fairly sure thatthey don't entitle you to Spotlight/Equity membership either.

I do know that a lot of them market themselves to prepare you for drama school, although LAMDA’s cert he course is marketed as preparing for a degree or as a standalone course providing you the tools to step into the industry. Their cert he course is also newly designed which I assume is being put into play this year and is being goverment funded for the first time.

By the looks of it, it’s not just aimed at acting but it says as follows:
Whether it’s acting, making, writing, film, screen, audio, virtual production, music theatre, movement theatre, directing or producing you are interested in this course can be your springboard into the performing and technical arts.

I’m just unsure of whether it would be worth the 9000 pound of debt for 6 months or not, that’s where I’m stomped so I was curious as to what others peoples experiences doing cert he / foundation courses were like and if they think it’d worth it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending