The Student Room Group

Chem helpppp

Some people are concerned that aspartame, C14H18N2O5 may have adverse health effects.

Research shows that the safe maximum daily intake of aspartame is 1.7 x 10^-4 mol kg^-1

A typical adult has a mass of 75kg
A can of diet drink contains 167mg of aspartame

How many cans of this diet drink is it safe for a typical adult to drink in one day?

I don’t know how to answer this question can someone please help!!

Chemistry help
What have you done so far?
Reply 2
Original post by KaziMahathir
What have you done so far?

Literally nothing, I don’t know what to do at all
Original post by dayaaa.x
Literally nothing, I don’t know what to do at all

I think the key to success in this question is breaking everything down into smaller steps. The first thing I would do is work out the total number of moles of aspartame that a typical adult can take by multiplying 1.7 x 10-4 mol kg-1 by 75kg. This would give us a total of 0.01275 moles.

The second thing I would do is calculate what mass this equates to, seeing as the amount of aspartame in the can is expressed as mg. This is done by using the formula n = m/Mr or n x Mr = m = 0.01275 moles x 294.3gmol-1 = 3.752325g.

The third thing I would do is convert this value from g to mg by multiplying by 1000 to get 3752.325mg. Finally, we would divide the total mass of aspartame that a typical human can take in one day by how much is in a can (e.g. 3752.325mg by 167mg) which would give us 22.47 cans.

We then round this down to 22. Hopefully, I haven't made any errors in my method :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by KaziMahathir
I think the key to success in this question is breaking everything down into smaller steps. The first thing I would do is work out the total number of moles of aspartame that a typical adult can take by multiplying 1.7 x 10-4 mol kg-1 by 75kg. This would give us a total of 0.01275 moles.

The second thing I would do is calculate what mass this equates to, seeing as the amount of aspartame in the can is expressed as mg. This is done by using the formula n = m/Mr or n x Mr = m = 0.01275 moles x 294.3gmol-1 = 3.752325g.

The third thing I would do is convert this value from g to mg by multiplying by 1000 to get 3752.325mg. Finally, we would divide the total mass of aspartame that a typical human can take in one day by how much is in a can (e.g. 3752.325mg by 167mg) which would give us 22.47 cans.

We then round this down to 22. Hopefully, I haven't made any errors in my method :biggrin:

Thank you so much!!!! :smile: this really helps i understand now
Original post by Pyruvic Acid

where did u get the 294.3 from ??
Original post by Amy332033
where did u get the 294.3 from ??

The Mr of aspartame is 294.3

Quick Reply

Latest