The Student Room Group

I really want to be in set 1/2 science, currently in year 8!!

I am currently in Year 8 and we are going to be placed in Sets for Year 9. We have recently received our Science Skills test and I got 27/43, which is around 62 percent but the teacher has marked some of my questions wrong so she will remark it, so it will be around 30/43 (I’m assuming). My classmates have gotten around 30. Apparently this test kinda decides not fully but kind of decides what set you will be and I really want set 1. I’m set 1 for everything else and I really want to go in set 1 science. On other tests I usually attain around 70-80 percent so does anyone know what set I will probably be? Please help meeeeeee I need to take higher triple science cuz I want be a general practitioner. someone helpppp, please reply :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey, yr12 student here who was a triple science GCSE student, and I think so long as you have consistent grades of around 75% (That's where it was for our class- 70% physics, 75% bio, don't remember chem- it was a long time ago, but it didn't have to be exact). I presume you do end of topic tests? If those have been pretty consistently over 70% (Again, may differ depending on your school), then you'll probably be set 1. Even if the most recent ones were important, don't sweat it too much, because so long as your other past papers have all been over 70%, then you're probably okay. Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Lil_Student
Hey, yr12 student here who was a triple science GCSE student, and I think so long as you have consistent grades of around 75% (That's where it was for our class- 70% physics, 75% bio, don't remember chem- it was a long time ago, but it didn't have to be exact). I presume you do end of topic tests? If those have been pretty consistently over 70% (Again, may differ depending on your school), then you'll probably be set 1. Even if the most recent ones were important, don't sweat it too much, because so long as your other past papers have all been over 70%, then you're probably okay. Hope this helps

Thank you so much for replying :smile: Yes we’ve done a few end of year tests which are over 70%. Thank you so much, recently my scores have been 60-75😭 but hopefully they won’t just base my set off of one test, thank u so much againnn
Reply 3
Original post by studyforever4
I am currently in Year 8 and we are going to be placed in Sets for Year 9. We have recently received our Science Skills test and I got 27/43, which is around 62 percent but the teacher has marked some of my questions wrong so she will remark it, so it will be around 30/43 (I’m assuming). My classmates have gotten around 30. Apparently this test kinda decides not fully but kind of decides what set you will be and I really want set 1. I’m set 1 for everything else and I really want to go in set 1 science. On other tests I usually attain around 70-80 percent so does anyone know what set I will probably be? Please help meeeeeee I need to take higher triple science cuz I want be a general practitioner. someone helpppp, please reply :smile:

hiya
i was just like u when i was back in secondary. i rrly wanted to be in set 1 for all my core subjects. however, as a year 13 student with a offer at barts for medicine, let me tell you that u should not be worried about sets.

Yes u should be concerned if you are in a low set (set 3) or are attaining badly at your subjects, as u want to be a gp and the competition is fierce, i will not lie.

I had parental pressure and the ideology that 'i had to be the best' 'i had to achieve the highest grades' was drilled into my brain too. however ill be real, sets change over the course of the years, ur only in year 8, and ur revision methods, how well u do on a test will all vary over the course of the year. Taking a skills test at ks3 will not determine if u take double or triple science.
I was placed in Set 2 for science, but I moved up during the year since i was preforming well in the next few tests later on.

Also, there's this misconception that everyone in set 1 will be able to take triple science and that anyone not in set 1 wont be able to take triple science. I've had people in set 2 take triple science.
My school had this thing where if u were working above a grade 5 in Year 9, u would be able to take triple science at gcse. Talk to ur teachers about what grade u should be working at in order for u to be able to take triple sciences. Trust me, it shows ur teacher's you are well committed to your studies and u want to improve.

So please do not worry about ur sets whilst in year 8. mostly focus on ur revision techniques and see which works out for u, so u know which is best when it comes to actual exams and ur mocks.
And also remember, one test doesn't determine if u would be able to take triple science or higher tier science. Your teachers are most likely to take an average of all ur tests and probably weigh more on recent tests. They may look at attendance and ur homework quality too!
Reply 4
Original post by V3N0Mxx
hiya
i was just like u when i was back in secondary. i rrly wanted to be in set 1 for all my core subjects. however, as a year 13 student with a offer at barts for medicine, let me tell you that u should not be worried about sets.

Yes u should be concerned if you are in a low set (set 3) or are attaining badly at your subjects, as u want to be a gp and the competition is fierce, i will not lie.

I had parental pressure and the ideology that 'i had to be the best' 'i had to achieve the highest grades' was drilled into my brain too. however ill be real, sets change over the course of the years, ur only in year 8, and ur revision methods, how well u do on a test will all vary over the course of the year. Taking a skills test at ks3 will not determine if u take double or triple science.
I was placed in Set 2 for science, but I moved up during the year since i was preforming well in the next few tests later on.

Also, there's this misconception that everyone in set 1 will be able to take triple science and that anyone not in set 1 wont be able to take triple science. I've had people in set 2 take triple science.
My school had this thing where if u were working above a grade 5 in Year 9, u would be able to take triple science at gcse. Talk to ur teachers about what grade u should be working at in order for u to be able to take triple sciences. Trust me, it shows ur teacher's you are well committed to your studies and u want to improve.

So please do not worry about ur sets whilst in year 8. mostly focus on ur revision techniques and see which works out for u, so u know which is best when it comes to actual exams and ur mocks.
And also remember, one test doesn't determine if u would be able to take triple science or higher tier science. Your teachers are most likely to take an average of all ur tests and probably weigh more on recent tests. They may look at attendance and ur homework quality too!

Thank you so much this makes a lot more sense now. hope u do well for year 13🤩 I agree I have that parental pressure (my Asian mum😪) I’ll try not worry too much for now and hope for the best and get set 1 or set 2 for science!! Once again ty for the tips I’ll definitely remember them

Quick Reply

Latest