The Student Room Group

FY1/2 for an international student that graduated from local university?

Hi all,

May I know what the process is for international students who studied medicine at a local UK university to apply for FY1? And does anyone know what the chances are of securing a spot? Is it pretty much guaranteed because of undersubscription or would decent grades still have to be achieved to have a chance at a spot?

Thanks!
i think you can still apply the same way as everyone else as you're from a uk med school. idk how being an international student would affect your chances of getting a place tho. ill tag and @GANFYD cos theyll know A LOT more than me lmao
I don’t think it’s would affect it at all. They removed RTLM so everyone is ranked the same.
Original post by kidneybeans123
I don’t think it’s would affect it at all. They removed RTLM so everyone is ranked the same.

oh nice! so yeah the op is sorted, now its just the competition from other uk med school grads
Reply 4
That's great! What is the competition usually like? I have heard mixed opinions from different people regarding it, with some saying it's pretty much guaranteed vs others saying that there is a required grade to meet?
Reply 5
Also, how do u decide between different NHS trusts to do your FY1 in? I want to do mine in a city area where I can have a better exposure to different cases but I'm not sure if I should still consider smaller town practices which is nearer to my family and friends. Although if I do have no choice, I'm more than willing to accept any placement that I can get.

On a side note, thx everyone so much for replying so quickly! 😊
Reply 6
I see, London is abit of a tricky choice for me because I do not really like the city but it is the placement which can offer the most learning opportunity. Say, if I'm willing to consider taking up any placement offers even those in remote towns, would there be any reason why I won't be able to get a FY1 placement, apart from being unfit for practice?
Just wanted to know if I have any safety net.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
I get it now, so as long as I'm willing to work for at least a year in a district general hospital, I shouldn't have an issue with finding a job (of course, given that I apply outside of London too).

Thanks so much for explaining everything so meticulously to me, I'll be sure to check on the most up-to-date information too. I've been so stressed recently because of people saying that finding a FY1 placement is quite difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending