The Student Room Group

Bath or Southampton for Computer Science?

I'm an international student that just finished IB exams and I've currently got offers from both Bath and Southampton for CS, but really struggling to pick which one to make my official firm choice.

I've considered a lot of factors, but I'm still not sure which university is best for me. I've listed the advantages and disadvantages (in my opinion) of each university:

Advantages of Bath:

- Very strong placement year program, which not only helps because experience is very important for CS, but also because as an international student, it would make getting a CS job in the UK much easier later on.
- Locally in the UK, ranks higher than Southampton both as a whole and the CS department
- Very high student satisfaction of the course
- Beautiful city
- Slightly lower offer than Southampton

Disadvantages of Bath:

- Not a Russel group university and no accreditation for the CS course. I'm not very sure how much the accreditation matters, but I heard that some CS jobs require Russel group education(?)
- Expensive accomodation and city to live in, especially when dealing with international tuition. Also have a feeling that it would get boring after a few months.
- Not a huge fan of the CS facilities from everything that I have seen so far. Apparently, the CS lab is just a room with ~ 20 computers from what I see on the Bath virtual tour website?

Advantages of Southampton:

- Higher international reputation and ranking compared to Bath, as per QS.
- Russel group & 2 accreditations, both BCS and IET, and I really like the practical aspect thanks to the IET.
- Really like the CS facilities, clear that lots of investing has gone into the engineering departments.
- Cheaper city to live in, and cheaper accommodation compared to Bath
- Offers returner accommodation
- Higher CS graduate salaries compared to Bath

Disadvantages of Southampton:

- Apparently does not offer a placement year program for the undergraduate CS course.
- Slightly higher offer requirements than Bath, which frankly idk if I will meet in July tbh.
- Dangerous city (?).

I'm aware the deadline was 3 days ago and has passed but I chose to make Bath my firm (and Leeds insurance) for now, though I think I still have 14 days to change it.

I would really appreciate any insight, as I have been struggling to make a decision ever since I received my last offer (Bath) back in April.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mr.D17D
I'm an international student that just finished IB exams and I've currently got offers from both Bath and Southampton for CS, but really struggling to pick which one to make my official firm choice.

I've considered a lot of factors, but I'm still not sure which university is best for me. I've listed the advantages and disadvantages (in my opinion) of each university:

Advantages of Bath:

- Very strong placement year program, which not only helps because experience is very important for CS, but also because as an international student, it would make getting a CS job in the UK much easier later on.
- Locally in the UK, ranks higher than Southampton both as a whole and the CS department
- Very high student satisfaction of the course
- Beautiful city
- High entry standards on average, so lots of smart people around
- Slightly lower offer than Southampton

Disadvantages of Bath:

- Not a Russel group university and no accreditation for the CS course. I'm not very sure how much the accreditation matters, but I heard that some CS jobs require Russel group education(?)
- Expensive accomodation and city to live in, especially when dealing with international tuition. Also have a feeling that it would get boring after a few months.
- Not a huge fan of the CS facilities from everything that I have seen so far. Apparently, the CS lab is just a room with ~ 20 computers from what I see on the Bath virtual tour website?

Advantages of Southampton:

- Higher international reputation and ranking compared to Bath, as per QS.
- Russel group & 2 accreditations, both BCS and IET, and I really like the practical aspect thanks to the IET.
- Really like the CS facilities, clear that lots of investing has gone into the engineering departments.
- Cheaper city to live in, and cheaper accommodation compared to Bath
- Offers returner accommodation

Disadvantages of Southampton:

- Apparently does not offer a placement year program for the undergraduate CS course.
- Slightly higher offer requirements than Bath, which frankly idk if I will meet in July tbh.
- Dangerous city (?).

I'm aware the deadline was 3 days ago and has passed but I chose to make Bath my firm (and Leeds insurance) for now, though I think I still have 14 days to change it.

I would really appreciate any insight, as I have been struggling to make a decision ever since I received my last offer (Bath) back in April.

Hi I'm sorry not to be any help with this scenario however I myself am a IBDP24 graduate and am also considering applying there, I was wondering if you could let me know what offers you were given by both universities as my predictions for my grades are not that high. I believe the highest ever possible grade I could receive in Maths AA HL is a 6, and currently I am not even predicted that however final predictions come out in September.
Reply 2
Original post by _user_
Hi I'm sorry not to be any help with this scenario however I myself am a IBDP24 graduate and am also considering applying there, I was wondering if you could let me know what offers you were given by both universities as my predictions for my grades are not that high. I believe the highest ever possible grade I could receive in Maths AA HL is a 6, and currently I am not even predicted that however final predictions come out in September.

Hey, my HLs were Economics, Physics, Math AI, and my predicted was 37 overall with 766, respectively. I actually didn't meet Southampton's offer but they still gave the offer of 38 overall, 766 with a 7 specifically in Math AI because it's AI. I think for AA HL they require a 6. Bath's offer is 36 overall and 766.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mr.D17D
Hey, my HLs were Economics, Physics, Math AI, and my predicted was 37 overall with 766, respectively. I actually didn't meet Southampton's offer but they still gave the offer of 38 overall, 766 with a 7 specifically in Math AI because it's AI. I think for AA HL they require a 6. Bath's offer is 36 overall and 766.

Thank you so much for this!
Reply 4
Original post by Mr.D17D

Hi, sorry for asking so many questions but can I enquire about what you talked about on your personal statement and if you are a home student or had a lower offer due to an mitigating circumstances? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending