The Student Room Group

Medicine 2022 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants

Scroll to see replies

I mean I believe I would be widening participation as my area is POLAR 1 though I guess I'll have to try do as best as I can to meet more medical school requirements.
Reply 81
I am a pupil in sixth form and applied to medical school this year but got rejected by all of my unis because I did very poorly in my UCAT. I have decided to stay determined and take a gap year this year, however, I turn 18 in December and don't know where to get some volunteering as most places require me to be 18. I was wondering what types of things I can do in the medical field at 17 during my gap year to gain experience and make the most of it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by somsomi
I am a pupil in sixth form and applied to medical school this year but got rejected by all of my unis because I did very poorly in my UCAT. I have decided to stay determined and take a gap year this year, however, I turn 18 in December and don't know where to get some volunteering as most places require me to be 18. I was wondering what types of things I can do in the medical field at 17 during my gap year to gain experience and make the most of it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You should be 18? What’s ur dob
Original post by ry2828
This year I sat the UCAT twice due to technical issues. I would love to input my opinion on medify vs medentry.

For my first test (in aug) I solely used Medify which in my opinion was useful in making you more comfortable with the UCAT format. However, for me, I found the questions too easy compared to the real UCAT. Don’t get me wrong, medify is great but, I do not think the mock tests/ questions were representative of the overall UCAT exam. I ended up getting 2360 b2 (technical issues occurred hence why I got a resit). for some context: in the medify mocks i would normally score around 2800-2900 b1.

For my resit (oct) I solely used medentry because I knew that medify wasn’t the best.
Also, background info: UCAT contacted me informing me that my resit will be in 7 days. I couldn’t change the date, unfortunately. Dilemma!! I also had mock exams for all my subjects on the week of my resit. To paint a clear picture this is what my week would look like: Monday- Math mock, Tuesday - Chem mock, Wednesday -bio mock, Thursday- *UCAT*
So, I was VERY stressed as each exam was important for different reasons- determining my predicted and which unis I could apply for. I knew I needed a great resource to revise for my UCAT which was, bear in mind, in 7 days. I immediately brought the medentry 14-day package and honestly this was the best decision in my life. The medentry mocks/subtests (especially for VR and AR) were WAY WAY WAY WAYYYYY more representative that the medify ones. Also, medentry does a superb job of explaining how to tackle specific questions. In the end, after 7 days of ucat revision using medentry, I ended up with 2610 b2 which I am very content about. In the medentry mocks I would get around 2600-2700 b1 - so quite accurate to my real score.

All in all, in my opinion: medentry > medify.
I highly recommend Medentry!!
Furthermore, I applied strategically and managed to get 4 interviews with 1 offer (still waiting for 3 to reply).
Good look everyone and I hope this was useful.

Note: Sorry for the grammatical errors

So glad you found the online platform helpful, and congratulations on your offer!!!
Original post by scaryelephant
You should be 18? What’s ur dob

Was thinking this too???
Original post by MedEntry
So glad you found the online platform helpful, and congratulations on your offer!!!

Heyyy, I’m thinking of using this platform too. Is it compatible with the UCAT in England ???
And how much does it cost to access the content & question bank?
Does anybody know what the plans are for students to write A level exams in the Autumn like last year?
Original post by the.cricketer
Does anybody know what the plans are for students to write A level exams in the Autumn like last year?

You will probably have an option to sit exams in the autumn e.g like α resit
Original post by Yasmatic
You will probably have an option to sit exams in the autumn e.g like α resit

Which unis for medicine will allow us to use these grages (i.e. resits)?

Omg hey, u from the old UCL chat lmao, did u get any offers or 4 rejections?
Omg hey, u from the old UCL chat lmao, did u get any offers or 4 rejections?

3 rejections, 4th one looking very very unlikely
Which unis for medicine will allow us to use these grages (i.e. resits)?

Not sure until grades are released, I am guessing α lot less though due to influx of applications and also more accurate grading this year
Not sure until grades are released, I am guessing α lot less though due to influx of applications and also more accurate grading this year

Nah this year is LESS accurate grading, as there's no ranking system in place. It's literally teachers predicting our grades hence high grade inflation.
Reply 93
Original post by chris_rp:)
Thank you!! You don't need to apologise, I just thought it would be more in depth if you found the earlier posts! :biggrin:
You will sure thank yourself for a well earned rest this time next year (I know I certainly am aha).
Good luck for your reapplication!! I'm sure you'll do amazing!

thank youu again honestly
Nah this year is LESS accurate grading, as there's no ranking system in place. It's literally teachers predicting our grades hence high grade inflation.

This is actually very false, teachers prefer this way or grading Vs last year, which they argued to be unfair and inaccurate, the government knows it messed up last year, so why choose and even less accurate and unfair way or assessing grades? They haven’t. Of course there will be an appeals process etc. However, due to more preparation, and like I said an influx of applicants this year vs last year, it’s unlikely that α lot of universities will be as lenient as last year, especially since grade INFLATION tends to mean that the grades students will receive will be higher than what they could’ve possibly achieved, hence why some universities restricted the offers they have out.

Realistically, if more than one of your grades is more than one grade below entry requirements, you will probably have to resit and reapply. I know plenty of people that have had AAB/ABB that have just had to sit the test and if they got higher were able to get in, however medical school is very competitive and they give out more offers than places for α reason, especially with grade inflation, there will be more students than previously that have Α’s, logically thinking, it’s not α good idea to just rely on the idea that α university will just let you resit and then let you in without reapplication, it’s risky and not guaranteed. Your best bet if your grades are low is to talk to your teachers, not rely on α system that we have no idea how as of yet will work properly.
This is actually very false, teachers prefer this way or grading Vs last year, which they argued to be unfair and inaccurate, the government knows it messed up last year, so why choose and even less accurate and unfair way or assessing grades? They haven’t. Of course there will be an appeals process etc. However, due to more preparation, and like I said an influx of applicants this year vs last year, it’s unlikely that α lot of universities will be as lenient as last year, especially since grade INFLATION tends to mean that the grades students will receive will be higher than what they could’ve possibly achieved, hence why some universities restricted the offers they have out.

Realistically, if more than one of your grades is more than one grade below entry requirements, you will probably have to resit and reapply. I know plenty of people that have had AAB/ABB that have just had to sit the test and if they got higher were able to get in, however medical school is very competitive and they give out more offers than places for α reason, especially with grade inflation, there will be more students than previously that have Α’s, logically thinking, it’s not α good idea to just rely on the idea that α university will just let you resit and then let you in without reapplication, it’s risky and not guaranteed. Your best bet if your grades are low is to talk to your teachers, not rely on α system that we have no idea how as of yet will work properly.

Yh I understand that. But for me I am pretty certain I'll get at least 3As and I'm already reapplying. It's just that if I wanna apply to UCL/Imperial, who need A*AA, I was thinking whether I could bump up a grade, let's say Biology, by sitting an exam in Autumn. That ways I would have achieved A*AA, which is their typical offer
Heyyy, I’m thinking of using this platform too. Is it compatible with the UCAT in England ???
And how much does it cost to access the content & question bank?

Hey there - you can give our UCAT platform a go for free before you commit with a free trial.

Pricing options for the online platform can be found here.
Yh I understand that. But for me I am pretty certain I'll get at least 3As and I'm already reapplying. It's just that if I wanna apply to UCL/Imperial, who need A*AA, I was thinking whether I could bump up a grade, let's say Biology, by sitting an exam in Autumn. That ways I would have achieved A*AA, which is their typical offer

If you’re getting 3A’s I don’t understand your issue you don’t need A*AA to get into med school, and those that need higher the AAA tend to be more competitive in the first place so it’s unlikely they would allow you to resit to get an A*. Honestly if you’re confident that you’re gonna get the grades needed for med school it’s so unnecessary to resit. Just reapply, and pick α different med school
I worded it wrong, harder to get into is probably α better way or putting it academically wise
Reply 99

If you’re getting 3A’s I don’t understand your issue you don’t need A*AA to get into med school, and those that need higher the AAA tend to be more competitive in the first place so it’s unlikely they would allow you to resit to get an A*. Honestly if you’re confident that you’re gonna get the grades needed for med school it’s so unnecessary to resit. Just reapply, and pick α different med school

All med schools allowed the October and/or Summer resits this year and accepted the best grades obtained from CAGs or a later exam (and now may end up with CAGs again).
That is going to be the really fun part - if someone was unhappy with CAGs last year and planning to resit this Summer, but are again unhappy with the CAGs given this summer, will they get a free from prejudice resit again in Autumn or 2022??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending