The Student Room Group

Stay at LCF or move to Westminster?

So I’m currently studying at London College of Fashion but I’ve always wanted to study at Westminster. However, right now I’m conflicted on whether I should stay in LCF. I’m a first year menswear student and I was hoping that students who are in 2nd year, 3rd year or have graduated from LCF or Westminster could tell me their opinions?

Here are my pros and cons for LCF: I know obviously LCF is known world wide and has a massive name and has many successful alumni; however the course isn’t living up to the name, we are not a part of London Fashion week, we don’t get the same opportunities as CSM students, it is overall more design based than technical base.

My pros and cons of Westminster: I’ve heard from friends at Westminster that it is more technical based, so far they’ve made so many garments whilst here at LCF we’ve made half a shirt so far and Westminster has many links (supposedly on their home page); however, I’ve never personally experienced the uni so I have no idea, they have links but LCF has the UAL name, I’ve not heard of any successful designer some from Westminster - I still need to do my research so i could be wrong! - and it is not in central London (not that important), I also won’t be in an art school.
Original post by Xtian16
So I’m currently studying at London College of Fashion but I’ve always wanted to study at Westminster. However, right now I’m conflicted on whether I should stay in LCF. I’m a first year menswear student and I was hoping that students who are in 2nd year, 3rd year or have graduated from LCF or Westminster could tell me their opinions?

Here are my pros and cons for LCF: I know obviously LCF is known world wide and has a massive name and has many successful alumni; however the course isn’t living up to the name, we are not a part of London Fashion week, we don’t get the same opportunities as CSM students, it is overall more design based than technical base.

My pros and cons of Westminster: I’ve heard from friends at Westminster that it is more technical based, so far they’ve made so many garments whilst here at LCF we’ve made half a shirt so far and Westminster has many links (supposedly on their home page); however, I’ve never personally experienced the uni so I have no idea, they have links but LCF has the UAL name, I’ve not heard of any successful designer some from Westminster - I still need to do my research so i could be wrong! - and it is not in central London (not that important), I also won’t be in an art school.

hey! I’ve just firmed westminster for fashion marketing and promotion so I’ve done my research into it. If you’re not enjoying lcf then just change universities, at the end of the day if you get a good grade in your degree and enjoy it that’s all that matters. I might be wrong here but I thought westminster only has menswear design masters and not undergrad. Although westminster isn’t an art school, the Harrow campus is only for art/design/ media based courses. And I saw that Vivienne Westwood went there too. I hope that helps a little bit :smile:
Reply 2
Hey! Thanks for replying, Westminster actually do fashion design undergrad and unlike UAL, you’re able to do menswear, womenswear, sportswear, etc. for the first year I believe, then you decide which pathway you want to go down. And wow, Vivienne Westwood, I certainly need to do my research.

But thank you, you’ve helped quite a bit! I’m still waiting on their decisions on my portfolio, it’s been a while now.

Quick Reply

Latest