The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Acceptance Rate

University of Birmingham is one of the top 100 universities in the world. That made me think that getting into the Uni must be very difficult. On googling, I learnt a surprising contradiction. The offered rate is 75+%. I was very happy. I thought I had a chance to study at one of the best universities. But then I noticed another stat. The acceptance rate is a mere 14%. That's very confusing now. If UoB is in the top 100, why are very less students accepting the offer? Also, if there are only few seats available, why does the Uni offer to a lot?

Ps. I should have told this first. I'm specifically talking about the MSc Artificial Intelligence programme. (The college offers to more than 30K students!!! But less than 5K accept)

That brings me to another question. How can 5000 students enrol in a programme? What will the student-faculty ratio be then?

I'm sorry for such a lengthy question. Thank you anyone for even for reading it through. Thanks a lot for everyone helping me with your answers
Reply 1
It could be a lot of applicants back up uni
A Lot of British Uni's are in the top 100 so I wouldn't be surprised if Birmingham isn't the best for this course
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Gokulnath
University of Birmingham is one of the top 100 universities in the world. That made me think that getting into the Uni must be very difficult. On googling, I learnt a surprising contradiction. The offered rate is 75+%. I was very happy. I thought I had a chance to study at one of the best universities. But then I noticed another stat. The acceptance rate is a mere 14%. That's very confusing now. If UoB is in the top 100, why are very less students accepting the offer? Also, if there are only few seats available, why does the Uni offer to a lot?

Ps. I should have told this first. I'm specifically talking about the MSc Artificial Intelligence programme. (The college offers to more than 30K students!!! But less than 5K accept)

That brings me to another question. How can 5000 students enrol in a programme? What will the student-faculty ratio be then?

I'm sorry for such a lengthy question. Thank you anyone for even for reading it through. Thanks a lot for everyone helping me with your answers

It's part of the way UCAS works.

You are limited to 5 choices so you immediately cut down the number of applicants additionally in the UK almost all students acceptance success relies on grades achieved in August even though you apply the previous fall. Then students can only provisionally accept 1 firm course (and 1 insurance) then the university gets a 2nd chance to accept/reject a student.

Really what dictates how competitive a course is: the A-level grades achieved in order to enrol. Only on super competitive universities does playing the applicant numbers game really come into play.

These stats makes sense in the US college application process but not in the UKs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending