The Student Room Group

Does the acceptance rate matter for Oxbridge?

Just wondering if I should pay attention to the difference in the offer rate for English Lit at Oxford and Cambridge.

Oxford give offers to around 25% of its applicants according to their recent three-year average, whereas Cambridge give offers to around 30% of all applicants (with some colleges having as high as a 50% offer rate - I know it's to do with the applicants themselves and not the colleges, not implying anything here).

Should the difference in offer rates sway me in either direction? I'm equally interested in both courses - they each present an interesting breadth, and each city presents different pros and cons. I'm well and truly stumped.
Reply 1
You shouldn't let it play a massive factor in the decision. Look more at the courses, the universities, the social life and the testing styles. Yes the acceptance rate may be lower for Oxford but if you are doing well enough to be considering it, it shouldn't factor in as a decision. Just remember to have some back up options if you don't get accepted, no matter which you apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending