The Student Room Group

KCL Econ&Management vs KCL Economics

I received 2 offers from KCL to study next year. Economics and Economics&Management .I understand that Economics is considered as more prestigious, superior and practical. However, I find the content in Economics&Management more suitable and enjoyable. How important is it for the employers whether I take pure econs or econs&management. Which degree would you recommend me to do?
To answer your question, pure Econ is more prestigious and in general, it does tend to prove useful in most career paths. Speaking of career paths, the degree you do choose to pursue should be one that directly relates to your career path. For investment banking and finance related jobs, the more mathematical your course, the better it is for you. Pure Econ is more mathematical than Econ & Management.

Honestly, I would advise you to look at other universities for Econ apart from KCL. I have received an offer for BSc Economics at KCL and I plan to decline it because it isn't as highly regarded for Econ as other universities. KCL is no doubt a prestigious uni, but specifically for Econ, I've heard it doesn't do too good. Do you have offers from any other university?

Edit: This is all my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. The QS ranking for KCL Econ is 136th in the world. Rankings are always unreliable to an extent and can vary from website to website. But the general consensus does seem to be that KCL Econ is not too great, partly because it is relatively new (only started in 2017). The department is not established as a leading department/one of the best in the field, owing primarily to the time it has been active.
(edited 3 years ago)
kcl econ is quite new
kcl econ manag is alr established
so even if u think about prestige
kcl econ manag is quite well known
so follow ur heart
i think u can transfer to econ if u dont like econ mang later on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending