The Student Room Group

Should I continue with a level further maths in year 2

I want to do a degree in architecture in a top university and right now my alevels are maths, further maths, chemistry and art. I am getting my maths a level grade this year ( I’m hoping either an a or a*) and I don’t know whether to continue with further maths next year, do an AS or drop it completely. Will further maths really be that beneficial for an architecture degree or should I stick with 3 a levels?
Original post by Barehole
I want to do a degree in architecture in a top university and right now my alevels are maths, further maths, chemistry and art. I am getting my maths a level grade this year ( I’m hoping either an a or a*) and I don’t know whether to continue with further maths next year, do an AS or drop it completely. Will further maths really be that beneficial for an architecture degree or should I stick with 3 a levels?

To my knowledge, the top universities are only asking for 3As in random A Levels for architecture . There's no indication of what subjects they prefer or require.
Have you checked the entry requirements of your chosen universities?

Don't get me wrong, Having further maths on your application is an achievement; it's a challenging A Level (I know because I'm doing it). However, if it comes at a cost of getting straight As and A*s, then you might want to drop it.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
To my knowledge, the top universities are only asking for 3As in random A Levels for architecture . There's no indication of what subjects they prefer or require.
Have you checked the entry requirements of your chosen universities?

Don't get me wrong, Having further maths on your application is an achievement; it's a challenging A Level (I know because I'm doing it). However, if it comes at a cost of getting straight As and A*s, then you might want to drop it.

Thanks for your reply. I got an a* in my maths mock so I think I’m going to stick with further maths until next year. I am now thinking it would be better to drop chemistry as it’s the least linked to architecture and my least favourite a level. If I did maths, further maths and art next year would that be a good selection for wanting to do architecture at Cambridge?
Don’t sone places not count further maths as a subject on its own? It’s generally a 4th subject rather than one of 3.
Reply 4
Original post by Catherine1973
Don’t sone places not count further maths as a subject on its own? It’s generally a 4th subject rather than one of 3.

This is what I’m confused about. On the Cambridge website it says it counts as one
see this from LSE

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

so some do, some don't, so you'd best check all your various top picks are happy with it as 3rd a level
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine1973
see this from LSE

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

so some do, some don't, so you'd best check all your various top picks are happy with it as 3rd a level

Thankyou this is really helpful, I’ll make sure to research for my top pics

Quick Reply

Latest