The Student Room Group

extra alevel in gap year ?

hi everyone im sitting my exams this summer doing maths econ and psych. when i applied to sixthform i rlly had no idea of what i wanted to do but recently ive decided i wanted to go into finance so i didnt think my alevels through. ofc finance is rlly competitive and i thought if i sat further maths in my gap year it might be helpful when im applying to unis. my only worry is that the extra alevel might be overlooked? can anyone give some advice on what i should do.
The extra a level will not be overlooked. But, finance isn’t that competitive; economics is. You can get into any uni for finance without further maths (with a relatively high probability).

But, bear in mind that if they say they need for example A*AA and you don’t get that in your 3 that you studied in the 2 year period (so for example you get A*AB and you are predicted A/A* in the a level that you are studying in your gap year) they might not accept you.
Reply 2
Original post by lanky_giraffe
The extra a level will not be overlooked. But, finance isn’t that competitive; economics is. You can get into any uni for finance without further maths (with a relatively high probability).
But, bear in mind that if they say they need for example A*AA and you don’t get that in your 3 that you studied in the 2 year period (so for example you get A*AB and you are predicted A/A* in the a level that you are studying in your gap year) they might not accept you.
yess econ is what i’m applying for i meant finance in the future as in investment banking, sorry i should’ve made that clear. Thank you so much for your answer i’ll continue with my plans then :smile:
Original post by helpiana
yess econ is what i’m applying for i meant finance in the future as in investment banking, sorry i should’ve made that clear. Thank you so much for your answer i’ll continue with my plans then :smile:
which unis? I mean E&M Oxford they don’t even say that they recommend FM but Cambridge do. I mean yeah FM is probably almost essential to get into UCL, Imperial, LSE and Cambridge (unless your school doesn’t offer it). But for all of the others you can get into them without FM. I mean why don’t you apply this year and then if you don’t get in take FM in your gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest