The Student Room Group

Urgent please help a level coursework!!!!!

HI I'm currently trying to decide what link text to pair with King Lear for my coursework but am so stuck on what to choose. I am really interested in the themes of madness, betrayal, power and human nature. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to find a book by Monday and I've been looking for so long I just can't find one I like. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by emilyalexandra_x
HI I'm currently trying to decide what link text to pair with King Lear for my coursework but am so stuck on what to choose. I am really interested in the themes of madness, betrayal, power and human nature. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to find a book by Monday and I've been looking for so long I just can't find one I like. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks!

Can you say a bit more about what you need to do?

harry potter
If it doesn’t have to be Shakespeare A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley is a good one. It’s a basically a modernised retelling of Lear. It’s about 400 pages so you might be able to read it by Monday.

Edit - If it has to be Shakespeare I’d go with Hamlet. It covers the themes (and it’s my favourite).
(edited 3 years ago)
More info: It can't be of the same author so no Shakespeare. It also can't be a book that's anywhere else on the AQA English Specification A-level or GCSE. Basically I have to write an essay comparing two books that have similar themes. I have to do King Lear as my school requires me to so I need a second book that i can compare with it.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for ALL THE HELP SO FAR
Reply 5
More info: It can't be of the same author so no Shakespeare. It also can't be a book that's anywhere else on the AQA English Specification A-level or GCSE. Basically I have to write an essay comparing two books that have similar themes. I have to do King Lear as my school requires me to so I need a second book that i can compare with it.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for ALL THE HELP SO FAR

What about Oedipus Rex by Sophocles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_Rex
If you’re wanting a play would Death of a Salesman work? From memory the film is fairly close to the book to speed up getting a feel for it (if there’s more than one I’m talking about the one with Dustin Hoffman in it).

I have no idea if it’s on the list text list or not though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending