emilyalexandra_x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
HI I'm currently trying to decide what link text to pair with King Lear for my coursework but am so stuck on what to choose. I am really interested in the themes of madness, betrayal, power and human nature. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to find a book by Monday and I've been looking for so long I just can't find one I like. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks!
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emilyalexandra_x)
HI I'm currently trying to decide what link text to pair with King Lear for my coursework but am so stuck on what to choose. I am really interested in the themes of madness, betrayal, power and human nature. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to find a book by Monday and I've been looking for so long I just can't find one I like. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thanks!
Can you say a bit more about what you need to do?
george212121
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
harry potter
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it doesn’t have to be Shakespeare A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley is a good one. It’s a basically a modernised retelling of Lear. It’s about 400 pages so you might be able to read it by Monday.

Edit - If it has to be Shakespeare I’d go with Hamlet. It covers the themes (and it’s my favourite).
Last edited by HorribleHatty; 1 week ago
emilyalexandra_x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
More info: It can't be of the same author so no Shakespeare. It also can't be a book that's anywhere else on the AQA English Specification A-level or GCSE. Basically I have to write an essay comparing two books that have similar themes. I have to do King Lear as my school requires me to so I need a second book that i can compare with it.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for ALL THE HELP SO FAR
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
More info: It can't be of the same author so no Shakespeare. It also can't be a book that's anywhere else on the AQA English Specification A-level or GCSE. Basically I have to write an essay comparing two books that have similar themes. I have to do King Lear as my school requires me to so I need a second book that i can compare with it.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for ALL THE HELP SO FAR
What about Oedipus Rex by Sophocles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_Rex
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you’re wanting a play would Death of a Salesman work? From memory the film is fairly close to the book to speed up getting a feel for it (if there’s more than one I’m talking about the one with Dustin Hoffman in it).

I have no idea if it’s on the list text list or not though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (139)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (427)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (325)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (405)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (132)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (176)
6.08%
Loneliness (248)
8.57%
Financial worries (106)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (118)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (155)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (257)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (273)
9.44%

Watched Threads