The Student Room Group

For anyone that does A-Level Computer Science

I have just got my A-level results and got an A in CS (OCR). I created an ANKI deck for both components 1 and 2 and each has its subtopics that follow the specification. This is all I used for revision and I have made sure that it contains all the information you need for the course to even get an A*. I am currently on holiday and get back on the 2nd of September and will then be happy to share it with all. This is an excellent resource and don’t want it to go to waste so please share this with as many people as possible who are taking the subject.

The reason for writing this now is to make sure that as many people as possible see this before I get back from holiday.

As promised. Please let me know if the link works:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aod7ldO_J5ENrhrBjxhF88aNnSRr?e=u6HcXu
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GHPH
I have just got my A-level results and got an A in CS (OCR). I created an ANKI deck for both components 1 and 2 and each has its subtopics that follow the specification. This is all I used for revision and I have made sure that it contains all the information you need for the course to even get an A*. I am currently on holiday and get back on the 2nd of September and will then be happy to share it with all. This is an excellent resource and don’t want it to go to waste so please share this with as many people as possible who are taking the subject.

The reason for writing this now is to make sure that as many people as possible see this before I get back from holiday.

I would love if you could post or send me it, as someone who doesn't personally study CS but has a lot of friends and peers who do im sure they would love and greatly benefit from this
Reply 2
What I fantastic resource. I would love to have this please.
I also would love it if you could grant me access to this, as i have some close friends who do OCR a-level computer science and they would love this.....
btw: i know u know this but this is rlly kind of u..thank u
would appreciate this as well bro
Reply 5
I'd appreciate this aswell
Reply 6
Yes thanks
Hey man , what did mark did you get for coursework, I’m literally failing coursework at an E, however my exams are at an A. Please help
Reply 8
Original post by Mohammed36210
Hey man , what did mark did you get for coursework, I’m literally failing coursework at an E, however my exams are at an A. Please help

I ended up getting an A* for the coursework. The best bit of advice I can give is that you should use the A* examples provided by OCR and use them as a template. This way you can make sure you include everything that is needed to get high marks. The actual code that you write doesn't even have to work as long as you write a lot about it then you will score high marks. In fact, it's better if there are a couple of errors as you can then include this in evaluation and testing.

If you are stuck on the coding part it is helpful to watch some youtube videos to see how other people have made a solution and it can give you ideas on what you could include in your own solution. If you need to learn the basics of coding I used the 100 days of code - python course on udemy. Without this it probably would have been far more difficult.

Please let me know if you need more help as I understand the pain this piece of coursework causes.
Original post by GHPH
I ended up getting an A* for the coursework. The best bit of advice I can give is that you should use the A* examples provided by OCR and use them as a template. This way you can make sure you include everything that is needed to get high marks. The actual code that you write doesn't even have to work as long as you write a lot about it then you will score high marks. In fact, it's better if there are a couple of errors as you can then include this in evaluation and testing.

If you are stuck on the coding part it is helpful to watch some youtube videos to see how other people have made a solution and it can give you ideas on what you could include in your own solution. If you need to learn the basics of coding I used the 100 days of code - python course on udemy. Without this it probably would have been far more difficult.

Please let me know if you need more help as I understand the pain this piece of coursework causes.

Honestly , thank you so much. I'll be looking at student exemplars, ill take c# course as well to remind me the basics. Thank you so much
Reply 10
Hi,

I'm trying to decide my A-Levels, I'm thinking of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. But I'm really stuck between Economics and CompSci, what is putting me off is the coursework for CompSci, people have said it is really time-consuming and I don't want the burden of it in Year 12 and 13. I like computer science and am good at programming I’d say. But since I am interested in Finance AND Computing it's hard to decide. I just don't want to make the wrong choice and it's scary because a levels kind of decide your career (eg: with my a level choice, I can't do medicine if I may end up liking medicine in the future.) I have asked some people who have done CompSci and my computing gcse teacher, they all have said I should do Econ instead, as it is more valuable. I also think Econ may open up the range of careers I can go into. But I would please would love as much input as possible.

(I'm only doing Further Maths because I want to get into top universities, but hopefully, I will start loving maths in Year 12)
Could I have your Anki flashcards as well, please? I've got a B in my Computer Science AS level and I really need to improve to get myself an A* in my A level exams !!!

Also, about how long did you spend doing your coursework to get an A*?

I am planning on making a simulator involving physics (materials and mechancis), which can also be considered as a game, and I finished writing codes for getting the necessary values of components required for the program to run, just need to design and place the target on the screen.

Original post by GHPH

Reply 12
Original post by Ishti54
Hi,

I'm trying to decide my A-Levels, I'm thinking of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. But I'm really stuck between Economics and CompSci, what is putting me off is the coursework for CompSci, people have said it is really time-consuming and I don't want the burden of it in Year 12 and 13. I like computer science and am good at programming I’d say. But since I am interested in Finance AND Computing it's hard to decide. I just don't want to make the wrong choice and it's scary because a levels kind of decide your career (eg: with my a level choice, I can't do medicine if I may end up liking medicine in the future.) I have asked some people who have done CompSci and my computing gcse teacher, they all have said I should do Econ instead, as it is more valuable. I also think Econ may open up the range of careers I can go into. But I would please would love as much input as possible.

(I'm only doing Further Maths because I want to get into top universities, but hopefully, I will start loving maths in Year 12)

I will keep it short. If you have a true passion for computer science and you are willing to dedicate hours and hours to your coursework that at times makes you want to quit A-levels, choose computer science. If not, choose economics.
Reply 13
Original post by lheeseung_05
Could I have your Anki flashcards as well, please? I've got a B in my Computer Science AS level and I really need to improve to get myself an A* in my A level exams !!!

Also, about how long did you spend doing your coursework to get an A*?

I am planning on making a simulator involving physics (materials and mechancis), which can also be considered as a game, and I finished writing codes for getting the necessary values of components required for the program to run, just need to design and place the target on the screen.

Not sure the exact amount of time I spent on it but definitely way over the recommended amount of I think 70 hours.
Original post by GHPH
Not sure the exact amount of time I spent on it but definitely way over the recommended amount of I think 70 hours.

Thank you for the reply! Would it be better if I finish building the project throughout my A levels or to finish it before start of my Year 13, which is in 2 weeks? Also, if possible, could you tell me what university you applied to and got offered from?
Reply 15
Original post by lheeseung_05
Thank you for the reply! Would it be better if I finish building the project throughout my A levels or to finish it before start of my Year 13, which is in 2 weeks? Also, if possible, could you tell me what university you applied to and got offered from?

I wanted to avoid being in debt so I got a degree apprenticeship. If you can I would recommend just getting it finished as soon as possible (only if you can handle it) as I was finishing it near the end of year 13 and it was quite stressful whilst also having to revise for exams.
Reply 16
I would definitely appreciate having access to it too- Thanks! And sending best wishes for your degree apprenticeship : )
Original post by GHPH

Original post by GHPH
I wanted to avoid being in debt so I got a degree apprenticeship. If you can I would recommend just getting it finished as soon as possible (only if you can handle it) as I was finishing it near the end of year 13 and it was quite stressful whilst also having to revise for exams.

Good luck in your apprenticeship, I’ll try to get my project done as fast as possible!
Reply 18
I'd love to see these flashcards, as someone going into y12!!
Reply 19
Original post by GHPH

As promised. Please let me know if the link works:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aod7ldO_J5ENrhrBjxhF88aNnSRr?e=u6HcXu

You should just be able to download the file and then import it into Anki

Quick Reply

Latest