The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Black Girls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kayinda
you are not alone, I am brown and have experienced the things that have been mentioned here both racism or colourism.

I wonder what do you think about someone like robert de niro or david bowie who exclusively went for black women to date/marry? Personally although fetishism may play a part I think it's fine and it's what they prefer and the women must have felt very attractive and beautiful. Plus it wasn't just like they wanted sex, they really did marry and have kids with black women.

Lol, you forgot Will Mellor and Adam Clayton (U2) in your list of "chocoholics" lol. Also Paul Weller and Mick Jagger both have mixed race daughters

IMHO, it's not that different to people preferring blondes over brunettes, just on a bigger scale when race / ethnicity are at the centre of it.

I'm not sure if David Bowie exclusively liked black women, I think he just liked beautiful women... but didn't see colour (which is how it should be TBF)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Lol, you forgot Will Mellor and Adam Clayton (U2) in your list of "chocoholics" lol. Also Paul Weller and Mick Jagger both have mixed race daughters

IMHO, it's not that different to people preferring blondes over brunettes, just on a bigger scale when race / ethnicity are at the centre of it.

I'm not sure if David Bowie exclusively liked black women, I think he just liked beautiful women... but didn't see colour (which is how it should be TBF)

I don't think that's how it should be. As long as people are respectful then I support people "seeing" colour as it's part of you and I love it when people tell me they prefer exotic/brown skin girls.
Not really, there are plenty of regular black guys who are just "normal", who do sports, study, go to church etc. You just never really hear much about them in mainstream society.

Problem is society depicts "black" culture as this alpha male / roadman BS.

That's how blacks depict themselves.
Original post by kayinda
I don't think that's how it should be. As long as people are respectful then I support people "seeing" colour as it's part of you and I love it when people tell me they prefer exotic/brown skin girls.

But it becomes problematic when that's all people see about you.

Yes, I am black, but there's a lot more to me than just my skin colour... and these are things that I've chosen to define myself as (e.g. I get told I'm funny, quirky, I train hard... and I'm a demon on the dancefloor :wink: ) I would much rather be judged on those things, rather than something I've no control over. but the problem is a lot of people, all they'll see is a black face (and whatever stereotype they hold).

Original post by Bang Outta Order

Correction, that's how some black people depict themselves. others just get caught up in all that BS. Problem is it's those black people who really make their presence known.

Wasn't it Chris Rock who said, in his infamous Black people Vs N****s rant, that the only people who hate the the N****s more than petrified white people are "the other black people". I guess it's the male equivalent of the "Angry black woman"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_vs._Black_People

EDIT:- The link doesn't work because of the board censors, but you can swap the Asterix's for the "soft version of the N word to get the link.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by kayinda
you are not alone, I am brown and have experienced the things that have been mentioned here both racism or colourism.

I wonder what do you think about someone like robert de niro or david bowie who exclusively went for black women to date/marry? Personally although fetishism may play a part I think it's fine and it's what they prefer and the women must have felt very attractive and beautiful. Plus it wasn't just like they wanted sex, they really did marry and have kids with black women.

Personally I would not go for someone who solely liked me because of the fact that I was Black, that is fetishisation and it is harmful.
Original post by Anonymous
This thread has made me realise that i need more black friends😭😭- if anyone feels the same pm me

I would pm you but I don’t wanna expose myself on this thread 😭 let’s be friends.
This thread has made me realise that i need more black friends😭😭- if anyone feels the same pm me

I repped you.
We need our own spaces

Hell people of colour need our own studentroom. Free from the oppressive nature of white people.

“Blacks”??

Black people* we’re not adjectives, we’re people, don’t take the personhood out of the phrase “Black people”, and no, “Blacks” is not plural for Black people.

Plus, we don’t depict ourselves like that. How are you gunna tell someone how they depict themselves when you are not them, makes no sense.
“Blacks”??

Black people* we’re not adjectives, we’re people, don’t take the personhood out of the phrase “Black people”, and no, “Blacks” is not plural for Black people.

preach!!!!!!!
Correction, that's how some black people depict themselves. others just get caught up in all that BS. Problem is it's those black people who really make their presence known.

Wasn't it Chris Rock who said, in his infamous Black people Vs N****s rant, that the only people who hate the the N****s more than petrified white people are "the other black people". I guess it's the male equivalent of the "Angry black woman"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_vs._Black_People

EDIT:- The link doesn't work because of the board censors, but you can swap the Asterix's for the "soft version of the N word to get the link.

PRSOM
Plus, we don’t depict ourselves like that. How are you gunna tell someone how they depict themselves when you are not them, makes no sense.

I dont have to have lived in the Ming Dynasty and be Chinese to talk about Ming customs etc.
Original post by BLKisKWhiteisGay
We need our own spaces

Hell people of colour need our own studentroom. Free from the oppressive nature of white people.

We need our own app or something, but even then our spaces would still get invaded. I just wanna vibe with people who resonate with and won’t gaslight me into insanity.
Original post by Stumpy1001
I dont have to have lived in the Ming Dynasty and be Chinese to talk about Ming customs etc.

No correlation whatsoever.
No correlation whatsoever.

It does. The point I'm making is you don't need to be black to witness a phenomenon within the black community and comment on it, regardless of how widespread it is or isn't. just like the ming dynasty.

Stop using the argument of authority to nullify other peoples opinions
“Blacks”??

Blacks is literally what everyone says and try reading the comment that I was tagging... They literally called themselves a black. Try again mama.

Nah. Understand the word DEPICT. that literally means representation. Blacks... Depict (aka represent) themselves..... As whatever that other guy complained to me about. Blacks depict themselves as bad stereotypes often. Tis facts. Shooting the messenger fails to address the situation. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Original post by Stumpy1001
It does. The point I'm making is you don't need to be black to witness a phenomenon within the black community and comment on it, regardless of how widespread it is or isn't. just like the ming dynasty.

Stop using the argument of authority to nullify other peoples opinions

And stop using generalising arguments based on only what you’ve seen within the Black community to try and paint all Black people with the same brush. Generalising Black people leads to their demonisation and brutal killing as it has been seen numerous times in society and media. Stop spreading anti-Black rhetoric and stay in your place.

Don’t compare the Ming Dynasty, it has no correlation.
Nah. Understand the word DEPICT. that literally means representation. Blacks... Depict (aka represent) themselves..... As whatever that other guy complained to me about. Blacks depict themselves as bad stereotypes often. Tis facts. Shooting the messenger fails to address the situation. You should be ashamed of yourself.

A Black person can call themselves a “Black”, but you shouldn’t. People like you never respect boundaries.

Black people are stereotyped before they even fit into the stereotype. You CHOOSE to see Black people as stereotypes, that’s on you, and that’s something you need to fix and reflect on. Be ashamed of your own self.

Latest