The Student Room Group

What degree should I do to become a computer scientist ?

I will be starting a degree with OU in October what degree would be best suited to become a computer scientist or a related field like artificial intelligence , I plan to do a masters too and usually from what I can see they ask you to possess a good understanding of mathematics and to know a programming language. Now I was considering Computing & IT and Mathematics joint degree which has some computer science focus like learning both python and java, software engineering, but not at the same extent as a real computer science degree. But I thought a computing degree whilst adding the math would be more like CS, you can also do a joint degree with computing &it and statistics if you prefer, as well they have a data science degree? straight math, math & statistics , physics , mathematics & physics , computing with electronic engineering , cyber security degree . It would be great if could get some advice as I have been going through this dilemma for a while.

Thanks.
There’s not really a job called “computer scientist”

I think you need to do more research into computing and IT related careers and work out what you want to do before getting too focused on your studies. For many CS related careers a degree isn’t the best route.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
There’s not really a job called “computer scientist”

I think you need to do more research into computing and IT related careers and work out what you want to do before getting too focused on your studies. For many CS related careers a degree isn’t the best route.Than

Thanks for your help, actually I would like to get into computer scientific research or AI and was just wondering my best option between these? but I understand that a degree isn't everything but I feel it would just give me a boost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending