The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle life

Hey guys, hope all of you are doing OK with this corona-stuff.

My name is Cristobal, from Chile, and im a Industrial Engineer with more than 5 years of professional experience.

The reason why i'm writing here is because i'm planning to study a MBA in an english university, on 2022, and Newcastle University is one of the alternatives i'm considering, as well as the university of Nottingham, of Southampton, of Liverpool, of Sussex, of Kent, and the decision will basically depend on how much money I can save, to pay the tuition fees and the cost of life during the programme.

Having said that, i would much appreciate if you could help me by telling me how is the life in Newcastle, how's the weather (I live in Santiago, Chile, avg temperature of 15 °C and higher, so i prefer hot weather), if it's a safe city (like for walking at night and stuff), if its expensive (expensier than..) and whatever other thing you could tell me about the city, and any comparison with any of the other cities.

Im traveling with my wife, but she wont study any specific course, so we are planning to have a good time in UK, while I study one year abroad.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Cristóbal
Hi Cristobal,

I'm a local, and am also starting my masters at newcastle in September. Weather and temperature wise - its not a warm area, our people are famed for refusing to wear coats in the dead of winter. In the summer, you're looking at 20 C plus (although with climate change, we've been getting warmer and warmer over the years), but in the winter months our temperatures are under 10 C and often hit the minuses. We don't get as much rain as the west of england, but its still england - so weather is very changeable. The South of England is much warmer, often heading towards 30 C.

Newcastle is one of the cheaper cities to live in the UK, the North East is not a wealthy place in general, but at least its affordable. A round of drinks for 4 people here can be well under £30, half of what it would cost you in London. You can get a 2 bedroom flat in the areas outside of Newcastle (commuting is very good in the 'suburbs'. I would avoid the more rural areas, which are cheaper but the transport links get worse the more rural you go.) for less than £450 per month, and that isn't even student accommodation. I think I can honestly say that this is going to be the cheapest city out of all of the others you've looked at. Liverpool and Nottingham may come close in terms of cost. Sussex and Kent will be the highest cost of living.

As a local, I would say I feel Newcastle is safe at night in the busy areas. I would never walk alone at night in areas with few or no people - but that is just because I'm a woman and I'd do the same anywhere. Its a relatively small city, and most of the 'rough' areas are further out of the city center. You don't really hear any of muggings or stabbings in Newcastle, but we have a heavy drinking culture here and trouble is usually drunk people damaging things, and assaults.

Newcastle is friendly and a bit rough round the edges. Weekends in the 'Toon' are loud and busy. There are lots of beautiful historical places to visit, museums, art galleries, theatres etc. The landscape of the North East is beautiful, with the coast, the Lakes District and Scotland close by.

I hope this helps a little?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by goffietwerb
Hi Cristobal,

I'm a local, and am also starting my masters at newcastle in September. Weather and temperature wise - its not a warm area, our people are famed for refusing to wear coats in the dead of winter. In the summer, you're looking at 20 C plus (although with climate change, we've been getting warmer and warmer over the years), but in the winter months our temperatures are under 10 C and often hit the minuses. We don't get as much rain as the west of england, but its still england - so weather is very changeable. The South of England is much warmer, often heading towards 30 C.

Newcastle is one of the cheaper cities to live in the UK, the North East is not a wealthy place in general, but at least its affordable. A round of drinks for 4 people here can be well under £30, half of what it would cost you in London. You can get a 2 bedroom flat in the areas outside of Newcastle (commuting is very good in the 'suburbs'. I would avoid the more rural areas, which are cheaper but the transport links get worse the more rural you go.) for less than £450 per month, and that isn't even student accommodation. I think I can honestly say that this is going to be the cheapest city out of all of the others you've looked at. Liverpool and Nottingham may come close in terms of cost. Sussex and Kent will be the highest cost of living.

As a local, I would say I feel Newcastle is safe at night in the busy areas. I would never walk alone at night in areas with few or no people - but that is just because I'm a woman and I'd do the same anywhere. Its a relatively small city, and most of the 'rough' areas are further out of the city center. You don't really hear any of muggings or stabbings in Newcastle, but we have a heavy drinking culture here and trouble is usually drunk people damaging things, and assaults.

Newcastle is friendly and a bit rough round the edges. Weekends in the 'Toon' are loud and busy. There are lots of beautiful historical places to visit, museums, art galleries, theatres etc. The landscape of the North East is beautiful, with the coast, the Lakes District and Scotland close by.

I hope this helps a little?

Dear goffietwerb, thank you for your reply, it helps a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending