The Student Room Group

Anxiety, paranoia, psychosis?

I have always thought I had anxiety until a few years back when I started to develop next level symptoms.
For example:
I have a routine that I NEED to do, every night where I check for cameras, microphones,people around my house and room. ( I check everywhere, from behind my TV to on top of my cupboard) I will not sleep until this is done
It scares me to fall asleep but I also don’t want to stay awake because I feel someone is going to kill me or come after me every night
When I’m out I always feel I’m being watched or someone is following me

I get conflicting thoughts in my head, like a part of my mind which I can’t control will think up some thought in my head which I don’t want there. Then the other part of my mind, that I can control tells it to go away.
They are like mini arguments
I could watch a scary film and that face or plot would be stuck in my head for days, and I’d tell it to go away or I distract myself with something else- which is really hard. So I stay away from those because it makes it worse.

I just feel most people are out to attack. I’ve had fallings out with friends and I am worrying they are going to send someone to hurt me-

If anyone could shed some light on what this might be. I’m not asking for a diagnosis or something( I mean if anyone has an idea that would be good). But also if anyone has anything that could help cope with this because I feel like I’m going insane.
I'm no doctor so I won't try to diagnose you - but your symptoms sound identical to mine (although mine was routed in the fear of accidental death rather than someone intentionally trying to get to me); it sounds like a complex form of OCD. Usually you can identify OCD with one or both of obsession and compulsion. If you have obsessive intrusive thoughts that you can't get rid of, which causes you immense distress, and if you have the compulsions to do things - like the routine you've described - it sound's ALOT like OCD.

I feel like OCD is played down in media - and portrayed as obsessive cleaning (which it can be don't get me wrong) - but its routed in anxiety and it can come in many forms, and when you have it it basically takes over your life and your thought patterns. It can feel like you're going crazy.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm no doctor so I won't try to diagnose you - but your symptoms sound identical to mine (although mine was routed in the fear of accidental death rather than someone intentionally trying to get to me); it sounds like a complex form of OCD. Usually you can identify OCD with one or both of obsession and compulsion. If you have obsessive intrusive thoughts that you can't get rid of, which causes you immense distress, and if you have the compulsions to do things - like the routine you've described - it sound's ALOT like OCD.

I feel like OCD is played down in media - and portrayed as obsessive cleaning (which it can be don't get me wrong) - but its routed in anxiety and it can come in many forms, and when you have it it basically takes over your life and your thought patterns. It can feel like you're going crazy.

Hi, sorry for the really late reply! Thank you for helping. I think it must be OCD, I’ve been looking it up aswell since you suggested. I might go and see if there is anything to help with it. Thanks for sharing your experience with OCD aswell, hope you are doing okay

Quick Reply

Latest