The Student Room Group

How do most people get their first job without experience?

Since you need experience to get a job, how do you get your first job?

It's like the chicken and the egg thing.

Scroll to see replies

Luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Luck.

I don't like that.
I got my first job from a place that was desperate for staff, and they put me on a zero hour contract. A lot of care homes will take on pretty much anyone as long as you can pass their DBS checks, as they provide all necessary training.

Retail jobs are fairly easy to get, although some may prefer you to have experience, but you can get this by volunteering in a charity shop, even if it's only for a month. Retailers just want you to have at least some experience of customer service and working on a till.

Places like McDonald's, KFC and Burger King are fairly easy to get an interview, but they give you really low pay if you are age 18 or under. They might say that they require experience but apply anyway, they are probably desperate for staff as they have such a high staff turnover rate.
Reply 4
Original post by xBeautifulMind
I got my first job from a place that was desperate for staff, and they put me on a zero hour contract. A lot of care homes will take on pretty much anyone as long as you can pass their DBS checks, as they provide all necessary training.

Retail jobs are fairly easy to get, although some may prefer you to have experience, but you can get this by volunteering in a charity shop, even if it's only for a month. Retailers just want you to have at least some experience of customer service and working on a till.

Places like McDonald's, KFC and Burger King are fairly easy to get an interview, but they give you really low pay if you are age 18 or under. They might say that they require experience but apply anyway, they are probably desperate for staff as they have such a high staff turnover rate.

I just applied to KFC. Expecting to get no response just like all the other jobs I applied for.
I wouldn't apply to just one job at once, I applied to easily like 20/30 every few evenings on Indeed and own websites for things like retail, hospitality etc as they often wouldn't give a response, so applying to loads at once gives you more chances rather than applying to one and waiting to hear back. Having a good CV and cover letter is good - with no previous experience try to put in things you did at school etc like I was a senior prefect, did some guiding and buddying etc and your qualifications. I found a lot more success to getting at least to interview stage when I started to apply with a cover letter too. I got rejected and ignored by a lot of places, even from McDonalds, but I was applying last year March-September so jobs were difficult to find during those times, and I finally got one at a restaurant, part time in the evenings but glad as it is a very good environment, I got trained up and it is a lot better pay than in McDonalds. It's difficult but you've got to start somewhere I guess. As above said, care homes are generally quite good as they always need extra hands.
Reply 6
Original post by RambleAmple
I wouldn't apply to just one job at once, I applied to easily like 20/30 every few evenings on Indeed and own websites for things like retail, hospitality etc as they often wouldn't give a response, so applying to loads at once gives you more chances rather than applying to one and waiting to hear back. Having a good CV and cover letter is good - with no previous experience try to put in things you did at school etc like I was a senior prefect, did some guiding and buddying etc and your qualifications. I found a lot more success to getting at least to interview stage when I started to apply with a cover letter too. I got rejected and ignored by a lot of places, even from McDonalds, but I was applying last year March-September so jobs were difficult to find during those times, and I finally got one at a restaurant, part time in the evenings but glad as it is a very good environment, I got trained up and it is a lot better pay than in McDonalds. It's difficult but you've got to start somewhere I guess. As above said, care homes are generally quite good as they always need extra hands.

wow that's a lot you applied for, did you make sure the job descriptions were alright because I see a lot which require work experience, I have still applied to a few but if I see one that looks sketchy i don't apply. also did you submit a cover letter with your cv, my friend introduced me to indeed yesterday so I've been looking for jobs on there but I don't know how to write my cover letter on there, thanks
Original post by ssunvk
wow that's a lot you applied for, did you make sure the job descriptions were alright because I see a lot which require work experience, I have still applied to a few but if I see one that looks sketchy i don't apply. also did you submit a cover letter with your cv, my friend introduced me to indeed yesterday so I've been looking for jobs on there but I don't know how to write my cover letter on there, thanks

I applied for ones even that said they require experience as long as it wasn't loads, like 1 year of customer service or whatever I'd still apply as for example I was a prefect for a year in sixth form so they might consider that enough, or if they really can't find people they might still consider. If it looks sketchy (I know a lot of cleaning positions or warehouse positions on indeed for example look a bit off) I didn't apply mostly, I was also a bit fussy where I applied as I didn't want to do certain jobs for a whole year such as warehouse or care positions. I'd write a few different generic cover letters in a word document for each 'type' of role, e.g. restaurant, pub, supermarket, cleaner, etc, but leave [blank] for you to fill for each time you apply to put in the company name and exact position etc to make it specific for that role. When you apply through indeed there is an option to upload a cover letter file, or you can 'write' it on there directly so I'd just copy and paste and fill in the relevant bits. If it's a larger company which has its own website advertising the position on there too I'd try apply on the website rather than through Indeed, but not all companies have that option.
Yeah its a numbers game plus luck. Always apply early. Not had much luck through Indeed. Better to apply direct.

Its the graduate jobs that's harder to secure without experience. Hate being a 'graduate' or hate the term, has a bit of stigma.
any tips techniques for customer service advisor interview at financial institution like Barclays
Reply 10
Original post by achieve526kk
any tips techniques for customer service advisor interview at financial institution like Barclays

Obviously you've heard about the STAR approach but things I have learned along the way:
- Be clear in how you speak. I think I may speak to quickly and/or with not enough pauses.

- Be very clear what part of STAR you are talking about. Say clearly "The situation was..."., "The actions I took were A), B) and C)". In my opinion this helps the interviewers assess you which may mean you are graded a higher mark.

- Keep your responses detailed but concise. So if you have prepared half a response to say, maybe consider saying half of that but retaining the detail. My reasoning here is that they do not want to spend their lives listening to me waffle on.

- Always bare in mind you are being graded against the person specification in the job description and the values of the company.

- Always mention both team elements and independent working. I suspect that this is something I have been missing because I rarely get asked specific questions on team work. So whatever the question, try and mention explicitly both "I worked independently" or "I worked within a team of 5 on...".
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 0le
Obviously you've heard about the STAR approach but things I have learned along the way:
- Be clear in how you speak. I think I may speak to quickly and/or with not enough pauses.

- Be very clear what part of STAR you are talking about. Say clearly "The situation was..."., "The actions I took were A), B) and C)". In my opinion this helps the interviewers assess you which may mean you are graded a higher mark.

- Keep your responses detailed but concise. So if you have prepared half a response to say, maybe consider saying half of that but retaining the detail. My reasoning here is that they do not want to spend their lives listening to me waffle on.

- Always bare in mind you are being graded against the person specification in the job description and the values of the company.

- Always mention both team elements and independent working. I suspect that this is something I have been missing because I rarely get asked specific questions on team work. So whatever the question, try and mention explicitly both "I worked independently" or "I worked within a team of 5 on...".

thankyou very much for advice
Reply 12
Two words: transferrable skills.

You don't need direct experience for a job, you need to be able to demonstrate the qualities they ask for in the job ad. A good interviewer will ask "Give me an example of a time when you had to..." solve a problem, handle a challenge, resolve a conflict with a peer. If you have been involved in extra-curricular activities, volunteering, sports, clubs and societies, you can draw on those to answer the question.
Original post by Anonymous

My nana was so fed up of employers saying she needed experience when nobody would give her the opportunity that she told one interviewer straight to his face. They called back and said she had the job because they thought she had a strong argument.

But alas, that was many years ago and I'm not sure how it would work these days.
use a skill based cv
It is mostly down to luck unfortunately, but when I got my first job I found the ones I had most success with getting interviews were temporary summer ones or Christmas ones. I accepted a temporary summer one and they kept me on as permanent part-time.

Lie

i got my first ever job last september, how i got it was applying to loads of places and tailoring my cv to make it seem like i have experience without having experience. for example i worked at my church cafe and shop once in a while, i put that down i tutored kids in school, i volunteered at the library, i volunteered at church. things like that show commitment, and experience in certain things theyre looking for. also you could just be really lucky and apply t a place thats so desperate they'll hire you. try and Google places with high staff turnover, those are your best bets
Like others have said- apply to loads of places rather than one place at once.
There are a range of ways people get their first jobs-
* Volunteering- volunteering in charity shops etc gives you some experience for working on places like shops, supermarkets etc.
*You know the place- e.g. if you have done work experience or a placement at college at a certain place, they may take you on after you finish your course if they have any jobs going.
* Some places have a high staff turnover and are always looking for staff. This is especially the case on some fast food places. Some places are just desperate for staff in general e.g. some.care type jobs.
*Luck- sometimes it just comes down to luck.
* Who you know- sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. E.g. a relative or friend getting you a job at wherever they work.
Reply 19
You get jobs where common sense, enthusiasm and reliability are the main requirements and the employer will train you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending