The Student Room Group

How to get a job?

I am 17 in year 12 and for over a year I have been searching for a part-time job but no matter what I try nobody wants to work with me because I don't have any experience. I have applied for jobs on indeed, applied from company websites and even gone into several stores/cafes/restaurants to hand over my CV.

I don't know what else I can do. How am i meant to get experience if nobody will hire me without it?

Does anyone know of any companies that offer full training and will hire without experience? I'm kind of desperate.
Reply 1
You need transferable skills, not direct experience of a specific work environment. You wouldn't be expected to have much to put on a CV when still at school, but consider actives and extra-curriculars like Cadets, prefect, sports, any charity involvement.
Original post by AA881
I am 17 in year 12 and for over a year I have been searching for a part-time job but no matter what I try nobody wants to work with me because I don't have any experience. I have applied for jobs on indeed, applied from company websites and even gone into several stores/cafes/restaurants to hand over my CV.

I don't know what else I can do. How am i meant to get experience if nobody will hire me without it?

Does anyone know of any companies that offer full training and will hire without experience? I'm kind of desperate.

Hi, first of all, don't be discouraged! I know it can feel frustrating trying to find a job without experience. Here are some suggestions: try to look for entry-level positions specifically geared towards students and recent graduates. Retail shops, restaurants, etc. often have positions for people just starting out. The pay might not be great, but it gets your foot in the door.
Consider internships, even if they're unpaid. Getting relevant experience in your field of interest can really help when applying for future jobs. Look for internship opportunities with local businesses or nonprofits.
Volunteering is another great way to gain skills and experience. Animal shelters, community centers, political campaigns, etc. often need volunteers and provide training. It looks good on a resume too!
Make sure your resume is polished and highlights any experience you do have - school projects, sports, clubs, babysitting, etc. Also include a cover letter explaining your motivation and desire to learn.
When you apply or interview, emphasize your work ethic, positivity and willingness to be trained. With persistence and a good attitude, someone will take a chance on you! The first job is always the hardest. Once you get that experience, more doors will open.
Wishing you all the best!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending