The Student Room Group

Further Mechanics Question

When two spheres collide in two dimensions, why is it necessary that they have equal radii to solve it at A-level (what are we ignoring)? Thanks!
I think that it means that you can treat it as a particle which won’t be affected by resistances such as air resistance which would be greater for a larger surface area
Original post by Harrya2020
When two spheres collide in two dimensions, why is it necessary that they have equal radii to solve it at A-level (what are we ignoring)? Thanks!

If they don't have equal radii then at collision the line between the centres can only be properly represented in 3 dimensions, which is a complication they don't want you to have to deal with.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
If they don't have equal radii then at collision the line between the centres can only be properly represented in 3 dimensions, which is a complication they don't want you to have to deal with.

Thanks for this. So if I have to explain how the I've used the fact that the spheres have equal radii in my answer, I would just say that equal radii means the line of centres is parallel to the surface on which the particles collide (does this affect the normal reaction force too?)
Original post by Harrya2020
Thanks for this. So if I have to explain how the I've used the fact that the spheres have equal radii in my answer, I would just say that equal radii means the line of centres is parallel to the surface on which the particles collide (does this affect the normal reaction force too?)

The normal reaction is in the direction of the line of centers, so yes.

As for using the fact the spheres are of equal radii - do you have an actual question that asks this? I'm somewhat uneasy about this to be honest; in a "real physical model" there are a bunch of additional implications related to the fact that spheres have rotational momentum ("spin" in common parlance), not just linear momentum which will interact with questions about the radius. But since you ignore this at A-level I don't see you'd mention it in a discussion.
Original post by DFranklin

Sorry do you mind explaining this? xx
Original post by Qxi.xli
Sorry do you mind explaining this? xx

The centres of the spheres will be at different heights, so the line joining the centres will be at an angle to the plane, hence the need for three dimensions rather than just two. It also follows that the impulse between the spheres, which acts along the line of centres, will be at an angle to the plane, and since the plane doesn't move, there will be an impulse between the spheres and the plane - starting to get a little bit complicated.
Original post by ghostwalker
The centres of the spheres will be at different heights, so the line joining the centres will be at an angle to the plane, hence the need for three dimensions rather than just two. It also follows that the impulse between the spheres, which acts along the line of centres, will be at an angle to the plane, and since the plane doesn't move, there will be an impulse between the spheres and the plane - starting to get a little bit complicated.

Tysm :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest