The Student Room Group

Should I do A-Level Maths?

I'm currently in Year 11 and have just finished my GCSEs. I haven't got my results back yet but I'm predicted a grade 7 for maths. This is the only subject I'm predicted a 7 in and the rest are all 9s and 8s. I wanted to take Biology, Geography and Economics next year because I'm interested in a career in conservation/ecology. I've been looking into universities to see what kind of courses are available and have realised that a few universities (mostly the ones higher up on the league tables) require at least an A in a-level maths. I also found a few courses in Natural Sciences that I'm interested in that also require a maths a-level. Is it worth it to take the maths A-level and is it at all possible to get a grade A?
Yeah maths is a facilitating subject unlike economics plus you’ll be using maths at university if you will be studying natural sciences/ecology/environmental science .A-Level maths isn’t hard at the AS Level although some chapters are quite tricky , but it gets tougher at the A2.A grade 7 is good enough for the A-level ,I know people who got 6’s at the GCSE and are now predicted As and A*s at A level .Make sure to be studying systematically because maths is one of the subjects where the knowledge you gain from the very first few chapters , will be crucial for the whole course as all sections are linked together.There are so many Youtube channels and resources you can use the most famous are Exam Solutions , TLMaths as well as Physics and maths tutor.If for some reason you are concerned/worried you can cover the material by yourself in advance so that the lessons in school will seem more like revision sessions .Also what I would recommend is to solve all the questions in your textbook at least twice and pay particular attention to the exam-style ones and then move onto physics and maths tutor and find either past papers or Solomon papers .I wish you all the best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Victoria.kohnn
Yeah maths is a facilitating subject unlike economics plus you’ll be using maths at university if you will be studying natural sciences/ecology/environmental science .A-Level maths isn’t hard at the AS Level although some chapters are quite tricky , but it gets tougher at the A2.A grade 7 is good enough for the A-level ,I know people who got 6’s at the GCSE and are now predicted As and A*s at A level .Make sure to be studying systematically because maths is one of the subjects where the knowledge you gain from the very first few chapters , will be crucial for the whole course as all sections are linked together.There are so many Youtube channels and resources you can use the most famous are Exam Solutions , TLMaths as well as Physics and maths tutor.If for some reason you are concerned/worried you can cover the material by yourself in advance so that the lessons in school will seem more like revision sessions .Also what I would recommend is to solve all the questions in your textbook at least twice and pay particular attention to the exam-style ones and then move onto physics and maths tutor and find either past papers or Solomon papers .I wish you all the best :smile:

Thank you, this is really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest