The Student Room Group

Can I get into CS at university with a ICT (game development) BTEC level 3 diploma?

Hi.

For context, at the moment I have 2 options for my next 2 years. Either a sixth form offering me A levels in Psychology, English and CS, or a college offering me a BTEC level 3 in ICT game development.

I've been doing a lot of research on this but I can't seem to find a concrete answer. Most universities do seem to accept BTECs but there always seems to be a caveat. Durham, Warwick and Bristol all accept BTECs but also want an A level maths alongside it, which isn't very realistic for me unless I did it as a private candidate. Nottingham and Newcastle also accept BTECS, however they both seem to give preference to students who take A level CS, which just makes me wonder if taking A levels would be the better option. To add more anxiety, Nottingham's requirements also state that Creative Media ( games development ) is not accepted, which is silly and probably has nothing to do with ICT but still makes me anxious.

I feel really lost at the moment, I would prefer going to the college since it's closer and I know plenty of students who also attend there but obviously the course that's best for me 2 years from now takes priority. Should I take A levels? Should I take BTEC? Should I try to study privately for A level maths whilst doing BTEC?

please help
Original post by pinkktea
Hi.

For context, at the moment I have 2 options for my next 2 years. Either a sixth form offering me A levels in Psychology, English and CS, or a college offering me a BTEC level 3 in ICT game development.

I've been doing a lot of research on this but I can't seem to find a concrete answer. Most universities do seem to accept BTECs but there always seems to be a caveat. Durham, Warwick and Bristol all accept BTECs but also want an A level maths alongside it, which isn't very realistic for me unless I did it as a private candidate. Nottingham and Newcastle also accept BTECS, however they both seem to give preference to students who take A level CS, which just makes me wonder if taking A levels would be the better option. To add more anxiety, Nottingham's requirements also state that Creative Media ( games development ) is not accepted, which is silly and probably has nothing to do with ICT but still makes me anxious.

I feel really lost at the moment, I would prefer going to the college since it's closer and I know plenty of students who also attend there but obviously the course that's best for me 2 years from now takes priority. Should I take A levels? Should I take BTEC? Should I try to study privately for A level maths whilst doing BTEC?

please help

The key A Level would always be Maths. There are some unis that accept BTECs and A Levels in any subject, but they tend to be for lower ranked CS courses.

Unless the BTEC is specifically in computing/IT (not game design, since it's more of a design subject and less to do with computing), I doubt it would mean much to the uni. Even then, I would be wary about whether the uni requires A Level Maths on top.

CS is also a mathematical degree, so you need to be good with maths to begin with, and there aren't really that many alternatives to doing maths as an A Level, considering how academic it is. The most viable alternative to this is to do a foundation year in CS should you not meet the minimum entry requirements, which is in my opinion not as flexible as doing the A Level.

Personal preference is to do 3 A Levels where one of them being maths. Should you want the option to do further maths or computer science, it's up to you, but they aren't as essential.

Whether you take A Level Maths during your gap year or on the side is up to you. Do note, your college is meant for you to be studying full time i.e. 30+ hours a week. If you can manage an extra 10 hours a week for an extra A Level, then by all means, but it's a toll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending