The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Switching course at Durham

Hi guys,

So I have an offer from Durham to study psychology, however, recently I've really been doubting my course choice and I really wish I had applied for philosophy/theology instead, I think I sort of rushed into the application process as I applied to Oxbridge. My offer is AAA, but I'm fairly confident I can get a bit higher, and so I would apply through adjustment if it were available this year. However, part of me is wondering if I should contact them now to ask instead, or perhaps wait until I arrive. I'm also a little bit scared, as I love the university and I do still enjoy psychology. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

So I have an offer from Durham to study psychology, however, recently I've really been doubting my course choice and I really wish I had applied for philosophy/theology instead, I think I sort of rushed into the application process as I applied to Oxbridge. My offer is AAA, but I'm fairly confident I can get a bit higher, and so I would apply through adjustment if it were available this year. However, part of me is wondering if I should contact them now to ask instead, or perhaps wait until I arrive. I'm also a little bit scared, as I love the university and I do still enjoy psychology. Any advice?

You should ask if they have some avaliable places so you could be able to change your course. Just email them and they should get back in more or less 5 working days
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by XanaXoid
You should ask if they have some avaliable places so you could be able to change your course. Just email them and they should get back in more or less 5 working days

Thank you :smile:
As above contact them directly to ask (although I wouldn't assume they'll get back to you in 5 working days necessarily...). It's better to make any requests for course changes sooner rather than later as it may not be possible anymore by the time you get there, but might still be possible to arrange now.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
As above contact them directly to ask (although I wouldn't assume they'll get back to you in 5 working days necessarily...). It's better to make any requests for course changes sooner rather than later as it may not be possible anymore by the time you get there, but might still be possible to arrange now.

Thank you so much, I'll do that ASAP :smile:
Thank you :smile:

No worries

Quite sure that they say that they are trying their best for getting back in 5 days maximum and the 2 times that I contacted them they took even less
Original post by XanaXoid
Quite sure that they say that they are trying their best for getting back in 5 days maximum and the 2 times that I contacted them they took even less

Possibly, but this does vary between unis and departments - in my experiences with unis a 5 day turnaround for anything is lightning fast! I was mainly saying that so the OP doesn't get overly concerned if they don't hear back immediately.

I myself have been waiting to hear back from one of the admin departments at my uni for a month now :colonhash:
Possibly, but this does vary between unis and departments - in my experiences with unis a 5 day turnaround for anything is lightning fast! I was mainly saying that so the OP doesn't get overly concerned if they don't hear back immediately.

I myself have been waiting to hear back from one of the admin departments at my uni for a month now :colonhash:

Yeah in general unis are slow but I email their admission office 2 times and they got back in 4 days... possibly because i'm an international student? But other unis took ages to respond
That being said the OP user should ask ASAP so they possibly have more spaces
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi guys,

I'm sorry I'm not much help probably but I'm in a really similar position! I was between English and psychology, but felt English was better for my Oxbridge application because I'd done more reading, and I'm beginning to really regret not going for psychology.

I think my plan is to go to Durham, try the course for a few weeks, and if I just can't do it then I'll inquire about changing. I'm sure my A-Level psychology teacher would write a reference, so maybe that would help?

If you wanna talk more then PM me or something! It'd be nice to know more people going to Durham anyway :smile:
Original post by ashtolga23
I'm sorry I'm not much help probably but I'm in a really similar position! I was between English and psychology, but felt English was better for my Oxbridge application because I'd done more reading, and I'm beginning to really regret not going for psychology.

I think my plan is to go to Durham, try the course for a few weeks, and if I just can't do it then I'll inquire about changing. I'm sure my A-Level psychology teacher would write a reference, so maybe that would help?

If you wanna talk more then PM me or something! It'd be nice to know more people going to Durham anyway :smile:

That sounds like a really good idea, I think I'm just worried that I'd be behind if I did that. And I'd love to PM you, I definitely need more Durham friends lol.

Quick Reply

Latest