The Student Room Group

placement year

When i join university, can i ask to take a work placement year or study abroad if i didnt select it on ucas? because it didnt come up with an option but it is available bc it says on the uni website
Original post by Anonymous
When i join university, can i ask to take a work placement year or study abroad if i didnt select it on ucas? because it didnt come up with an option but it is available bc it says on the uni website

Hi there,
first question would be what course and does the course allow you to have this year out! Lots of courses like art, business, econ do but some like health courses usually don’t!
usually you don’t opt into this at the start of term And you fill in forms go to meetings and opt in when given the opportunity to do so.

best wishes
Emily

Hi there

This might vary from uni to uni but at Durham specifically, you can switch to a placement year/study abroad option later down the line even if you didn't select that option when applying. It also works the other way around- so if you applied for a course including placement year but decide against it later, you can switch your course to a 3 year one.

Your uni would have a dedicated Placement Team within the careers service who will be able to advise you more on this :smile:

-Himieka

Hey there!

For me personally, it came up as an option for picking my course. If you've picked a course that allows it then your course will be called a sandwich course. They may have started offering placement years after you initially applied so you have to go by what type of course you've applied to on UCAS. It could be an option that your university gives you when you re-enroll. The only way to know for sure is to get in touch with your university's placement or work experience team to find out what they suggest.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending