The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Which degree suits best for a career in consultancy,policy making or think tanks?

Hello everyone!
I am particularly interested in consultancy,policymaking or working for a think thank..
I am considering PPE,Econs,Finance as options..
I am confused about picking the right one..other than that..I wish to keep my options open in the sense that I can switch from consultancy to marketing or sales in the corporate if ever I change my mind..Those who are studying
these courses..can you please give me better insights into the aspects of what each course is more directed towards in detail..And also will I be at a disadvantage if I don't study Finance in the sense it will tough for me to switch to something else in the future? thanks..
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everyone!
I am particularly interested in consultancy,policymaking or working for a think thank..
I am confused about picking the right one..other than that..I wish to keep my options open in the sense that I can switch from consultancy to marketing or sales in the corporate if ever I change my mind..Those who are studying
these courses..can you please give me better insights into the aspects of what each course is more directed towards in detail..And also will I be at a disadvantage if I don't study Finance in the sense it will tough for me to switch to something else in the future? thanks..

I would recommend avoiding PPE degrees, while they are interesting, they will not teach you enough of in depth topics in politics, philosophy or economics to an amount useful in any field. Have you considered econometrics degrees? I would recommend you take a look at "BSc (Hons) Economics and Econometrics" degrees, this will teach you about the sociology and finance in all of economics and it will give you more paths to take after uni. Hope this helps :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hello everyone!

Focus on PPE, you will get a breadth of academic training needed. If you are keen, you can follow it up with a masters in Economics, Government, International Relations, History, Politics etc.

Depending on your academic strengths, i would suggest the following uni options.

Oxford
Durham
Southampton
Leeds
York

Good luck
(edited 6 months ago)
Hello everyone!

Consulting is very open (although depends what firm and type of work) from what ive seen. I know more on consultancy, they hire a lot of stem grads. Consulting is very broad so you’ll need to be more specific. Engineering, maths, physics are the most common degrees from my experience.

Policy makers I know less about, i only really meet policy people via conferences & networking events (had some interesting chats with them though). Ive seen some roles advertised & wasn’t particularly impressed with salaries (particularly at the senior end considering you need to work in central london). My impression is the best route is civil service fast stream and my impression is they will consider almost any degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending