The Student Room Group

How do I explain I have a learning difficulty?

I got a job, I went through the whole interview process having not mentioned it. Now I think I need to be honest and mention it. It’s dyslexia. It’s mild and I can manage fine. But just in case I get told about something that I can’t help. Should I mention it f so. How, do I let my menour know or HR?
Original post by Jammydodger39
I got a job, I went through the whole interview process having not mentioned it. Now I think I need to be honest and mention it. It’s dyslexia. It’s mild and I can manage fine. But just in case I get told about something that I can’t help. Should I mention it f so. How, do I let my menour know or HR?

Just drop your mentor an email explaining- unless there are specific adjustments you think you will need, in which case it may need to go via HR.

Unfortunately, in my experience, schools are not always the best at doing reasonable adjustments for their staff.

What sort of thing do you think you won't be able to help?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Just drop your mentor an email explaining- unless there are specific adjustments you think you will need, in which case it may need to go via HR.

Unfortunately, in my experience, schools are not always the best at doing reasonable adjustments for their staff.

What sort of thing do you think you won't be able to help?

I’m fine generally. It’s just for observations it’s nice for them to know. I don’t need anything from them really to be fair. I usually teach in a way that the background colours on the ppts and my board pens make words easier to look at
Original post by Jammydodger39
I’m fine generally. It’s just for observations it’s nice for them to know. I don’t need anything from them really to be fair. I usually teach in a way that the background colours on the ppts and my board pens make words easier to look at

That's good practice anyway for any dyslexic students you may have, so no-one should query that!

I'd definitely flag it up with your mentor in that case as they are most likely to be the one observing you, and they can also support you if any issues do arise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending