The Student Room Group

Applying to universities with mitigating circumstances

Hi, I hope it's okay for me to post this in this forum (I wanted it to be anonymous).
I am applying to university for 2024 entry as an early applicant, and I wanted to know whether my situation will be considered mitigating / extenuating circumstances.
I've been having mental health issues and I was getting therapy for a while but it did not really help much so I was referred for a 'higher level' of therapy that I've been awaiting for months.
I'm also currently in a waiting list to get an assessment for ASD, and I've never had necessary accommodations (which would really help in my further studies at university).
I'm in year 13 applying to oxford, warwick, edinburgh, durham and king's for ppe.
My school say that they'd be willing to speak to my universities if I want them to, but firstly I'm not sure how much of this they've included in teacher references, and secondly I'm not sure exactly what I need to tell them.
My grades have never seemed to be affected - my GCSEs were 9999999999, my AS grades were AAAA, and I am predicted A*A*A*A in my A-levels. (Would this mean that universities will think that my circumstances do not affect my grades?)
The diagnosis and therapy that I've been awaiting is really contributing to stress and disrupting my learning now more than ever, and I'm not sure how I'll be expected to express this on paper or whether I'd even be able to apply for both contextual grade requirements and most importantly learning accommodations later on.
I also might be invited to an interview by Oxford, and it would really help if the tutors there know that I may not be neurotypical (and that I'm awaiting a diagnosis; it'll alleviate a lot of the pressure that comes with interactions).
What should I do?
All replies will be much appreciated. Thank you for spending time reading this.
Reply 1
Hi I'm autistic too, I was diagnosed at 13 after struggling for quite a while while it wasnt obvious to anyone that my performance was affected as I got good grades especially compared to my peers when your not neurotypical but academically a high achiever it's really hard. I would 100% get your teachers to right to your unis, ask to see the refrence they wrote for you too. If you have the time I would contact either admissons services or disability services at the unis yourself as well especially the ones where interviews are a part of the admissons process. You have done incredibly allow them to see how much further you could go with the correct support. I hope the helps, what college at oxford and course are you applying for?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ryanthebrw
Hi I'm autistic too, I was diagnosed at 13 after struggling for quite a while while it wasnt obvious to anyone that my performance was affected as I got good grades especially compared to my peers when your not neurotypical but academically a high achiever it's really hard. I would 100% get your teachers to right to your unis, ask to see the refrence they wrote for you too. If you have the time I would contact either admissons services or disability services at the unis yourself as well especially the ones where interviews are a part of the admissons process. You have done incredibly allow them to see how much further you could go with the correct support. I hope the helps, what college at oxford and course are you applying for?

Hi, thank you so much for replying. The issue is I've not been diagnosed yet so I'm not sure what I would say to universities myself - in that case, is it best to just rely on my school, or would it be fine to explain my complicated situation to via email?
I'm applying to study PPE at New College.
Thanks again
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, thank you so much for replying. The issue is I've not been diagnosed yet so I'm not sure what I would say to universities myself - in that case, is it best to just rely on my school, or would it be fine to explain my complicated situation to via email?
I'm applying to study PPE at New College.
Thanks again

okay gotcha, im applying to magdalen for maths and i recently got this in an email acknowledging my application. "If you have a disability that you have not already disclosed on your UCAS application, please let us know. Whether you have disclosed your disability on UCAS or not, please let us know if there are any special arrangements or support that would help you, so that we can make any appropriate reasonable arrangements for you in good time if you are invited to interview. Mentioning your disability or Specific Learning Difficulty will not affect your application, as admissions decisions are made solely on the grounds of academic merit. Information provided may be shared with colleagues in the College (and the University more widely) who would be involved with making any required arrangements. Please refer to www.ox.ac.uk/swd for further information on sources of support for students with disabilities." so i would contact new college and just explain your situation and any adjustments you may find helpful in the case of you getting an interview. i would try to keep its fairly brief and clear. its unlikely that any adjustments will be made for your grades in my opinon but emailing them will allow you to start the process of reciving more support in university, also its likely when you get a offer it will only apply for 3 subjects so not having to worry about the 4th subject may help you? hope this has helped at all.
Reply 4
Hi I'm autistic too, I was diagnosed at 13 after struggling for quite a while while it wasnt obvious to anyone that my performance was affected as I got good grades especially compared to my peers when your not neurotypical but academically a high achiever it's really hard. I would 100% get your teachers to right to your unis, ask to see the refrence they wrote for you too. I

References are supposed to be confidential ....
Original post by Muttley79
References are supposed to be confidential ....

They’re not. UCAS will disclose them to the applicant on request.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
They’re not. UCAS will disclose them to the applicant on request.

Yes I know that but you have to ask UCAS not your school.
Reply 7
Sorry, for some reason this reply created a separate thread so I'll copy it back here:
okay gotcha, im applying to magdalen for maths and i recently got this in an email acknowledging my application. "If you have a disability that you have not already disclosed on your UCAS application, please let us know. Whether you have disclosed your disability on UCAS or not, please let us know if there are any special arrangements or support that would help you, so that we can make any appropriate reasonable arrangements for you in good time if you are invited to interview. Mentioning your disability or Specific Learning Difficulty will not affect your application, as admissions decisions are made solely on the grounds of academic merit. Information provided may be shared with colleagues in the College (and the University more widely) who would be involved with making any required arrangements. Please refer to www.ox.ac.uk/swd for further information on sources of support for students with disabilities." so i would contact new college and just explain your situation and any adjustments you may find helpful in the case of you getting an interview. i would try to keep its fairly brief and clear. its unlikely that any adjustments will be made for your grades in my opinon but emailing them will allow you to start the process of reciving more support in university, also its likely when you get a offer it will only apply for 3 subjects so not having to worry about the 4th subject may help you? hope this has helped at all.

Yep, I got a very similar email from New College. I'm not too worried about grades for Oxford in all honesty since it's just AAA which is easily achievable, but I was considering it as a possibility for other universitiy choices that had higher grade requirements.
As per your advice, I'm going to concisely fill out the "Declaring a Disability" Form to explain adjustments for possible interviews.
Your support has been of incredible help; I'm extremely grateful.
Good luck with your application to Magdalen College! I've heard that it's beautiful. How did you find the MAT by the way?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry, for some reason this reply created a separate thread so I'll copy it back here:

Yep, I got a very similar email from New College. I'm not too worried about grades for Oxford in all honesty since it's just AAA which is easily achievable, but I was considering it as a possibility for other universitiy choices that had higher grade requirements.
As per your advice, I'm going to concisely fill out the "Declaring a Disability" Form to explain adjustments for possible interviews.
Your support has been of incredible help; I'm extremely grateful.
Good luck with your application to Magdalen College! I've heard that it's beautiful. How did you find the MAT by the way?

of course! im so glad i could help, i would contact the other universitys your applying to disability services also. magdalen is so pretty but trying not to get my hopes up about getting an interview as the MAT was quite hard i reckon i got between 45-60 just depending on how method marks are given, i imagine the lower threshold for reciving an interview will probably be in 50-60s so will just have to wait and see i was very lucky i didnt run into any technical difficulties. afterall rejection is just redirection so if oxford doesnt end up being for me so be it. did you have to do an enterance test for PPE? the course looks incredibly intresting, even to myself who has never done any aspect of PPE.
Reply 9
of course! im so glad i could help, i would contact the other universitys your applying to disability services also. magdalen is so pretty but trying not to get my hopes up about getting an interview as the MAT was quite hard i reckon i got between 45-60 just depending on how method marks are given, i imagine the lower threshold for reciving an interview will probably be in 50-60s so will just have to wait and see i was very lucky i didnt run into any technical difficulties. afterall rejection is just redirection so if oxford doesnt end up being for me so be it. did you have to do an enterance test for PPE? the course looks incredibly intresting, even to myself who has never done any aspect of PPE.

I will contact other universities as well likely after I receive offers from them (with Oxford, it's different due to potential interviews). Thanks again.
Admissions tests are really unpredictable honestly, and I think I heard from one of my friends that the MAT was difficult this year.
And that's true - I really need to get into the "rejection is redirection" mindset so I'm not disillusioned later on.
For PPE, I had to sit the TSA which wasn't too bad, but it's really hard to tell how well I did.
Original post by Riann246
I will contact other universities as well likely after I receive offers from them (with Oxford, it's different due to potential interviews). Thanks again.
Admissions tests are really unpredictable honestly, and I think I heard from one of my friends that the MAT was difficult this year.
And that's true - I really need to get into the "rejection is redirection" mindset so I'm not disillusioned later on.
For PPE, I had to sit the TSA which wasn't too bad, but it's really hard to tell how well I did.

yeah its hard to get into the mindset, and no one really knows how admissons test went to be fair, just also a note youre not anonmus just in case you meant to be
Reply 11
yeah its hard to get into the mindset, and no one really knows how admissons test went to be fair, just also a note youre not anonmus just in case you meant to be

Yep true but anyways best wishes :smile: and yep I didn't mind disclosing; thanks for letting me know though. Thanks for all the help!
Yes I know that but you have to ask UCAS not your school.

If it's disclosed to the applicant it's not confidential. In any case loads of refs give a copy of the reference document to applicants.
If it's disclosed to the applicant it's not confidential. In any case loads of refs give a copy of the reference document to applicants.

Many schools don't choose to show the reference - there shouldn't be any surprises in a reference anyway. I worry about students who feel they 'need' to see a refernce ...
Many schools don't choose to show the reference - there shouldn't be any surprises in a reference anyway. I worry about students who feel they 'need' to see a refernce ...

It's relevant to their application and after the fact in most cases so I don't begrudge them from wanting to see it.

Some schools won't even disclose predictions!
It's relevant to their application and after the fact in most cases so I don't begrudge them from wanting to see it.

Some schools won't even disclose predictions!

I think it shows a lack of confidence in the school - why would a teacher give a deliberately awful reference?

I can just about understand not disclosing a prediction if there's been a history of 'interference' from parents. I'm aware of some of the advice on here to go and challenge predictions ...

We give 'working at' grades every term and rarely are preditions challeged. I am held to account for thier accuracy too ...
Reply 16

My sixth form gave us paper copies of ours back in the early 00s!
Original post by gjd800
My sixth form gave us paper copies of ours back in the early 00s!

Same. I still have my paper UCAS app somewhere and it's a giant foldout sheet including photocopies of my ref and (laughably bad) personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending