The Student Room Group

Beginning OCR Computer science next year. What should i focus on to help me?

What would you say is the best content to get a headstart on due to its difficulty or length of topic? What is the coding like compared to gcses and is it better to focus on that instead>
I did AQA rather than OCR but the general stuff is the same - networks was the biggest and hardest topic for me. There's so much content to it and it builds on the GCSE stuff, but in a lot more detail. Would definitely look into that. Can't really help with difficulty of coding, but if you have coursework, start looking into the requirements and ideas for that, it'll save loads of time later.
The coding is not that bad if your design & analysis is good. Recommend researching code before hand. To get the marks research OOP programming and databases.
Having gotten 67/70 , My best Advice that I can give is to start research into the more complicated things early, make lots of diagrams with annotations and justifications , try to make things as relevant as possible, explain everything even the element positions , create test-plans based of of success criterias and if you want to test something not in the success criteria say why . You can expect the document to exceed 300 pages due to the nature of the project.
wish you the best of luck !

As for the theory I recommend first making concise notes, then transferring those to flashcards, learn the definitions by heart and make the necessary connections. for example you can link SSD storage and NRAM another is concurrency and MIMD/SIMD processing .
Networking and boolean algera theory are the hardest to master so this should be your focus to start with on top of classwork.

Again, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest