The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mr M
And there you go thomas .. you weren't ignored were you?

No; now I guess my earlier threads were "ignored" probably because of the difficulty of the problems rather than me.
Reply 41
SimonM
Pick me pick me!

I think you have missed some modulus signs taking a certain square root

u2+2+2u=(u2+2)u2+2\sqrt{\frac{u}{2}+2+2\sqrt{u}} = |(\frac{\sqrt{u}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2})| \not= \frac{\sqrt{u}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2}

Actually, u2+2+2u=(u2+2)=u2+2\sqrt{\frac{u}{2}+2+2\sqrt{u}} = |(\frac{\sqrt{u}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2})| = \frac{\sqrt{u}}{\sqrt{2}}+\sqrt{2}

However, u2+2u=(u22)u22\sqrt{\frac{u}{2}+2-\sqrt{u}} = |(\frac{\sqrt{u}}{\sqrt{2}}-\sqrt{2})| \not= \frac{\sqrt{u}}{\sqrt{2}}-\sqrt{2}
Reply 42
Alex, I made that point immediately after posting that.
Reply 43
SimonM
Alex, I made that point immediately after posting that.

But I saw that only just now. You should've edited your post, then.

Anyway the matter is resolved. :smile:
Reply 44
SimonM
Either that or the problem setters made a mistake

I too feel that the problem setters thought B) was the correct answer. Oh well...
Reply 45
alexmahone
No; now I guess my earlier threads were "ignored" probably because of the difficulty of the problems rather than me.
More likely is simply that nobody was interested in the problems you posted.
Reply 46
Which earlier threads of yours were ignored?
Reply 47
SimonM
Which earlier threads of yours were ignored?

"Pigeonhole principle", "Sequence of primes" (received only one helpful response, which was from you) and "Find the last 6 digits.."
Reply 48
PHP had already been answered in a different fora and I couldn't think of a hint which didn't give the answer away instantly.

Sequence of primes, was responded to, but you'd really solved it yourself

Find the last 6 digits was also responded to
Reply 49
Kolya
More likely is simply that nobody was interested in the problems you posted.

As a matter of fact, nobody is interested in problems that are far beyond their ability.
Reply 50
alexmahone
As a matter of fact, nobody is interested in problems that are far beyond their ability.

I've read plenty of books on the Riemann hypothesis
Reply 51
alexmahone
While I'm not sure that is true, even if it were don't forget that (¬X    ¬Y)(¬X \implies ¬Y) does not imply X    YX \implies Y (!)

Latest